Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

r15 dialout-cell?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1sat4me

1sat4me

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:03 AM

Can I dialout from an R15 somehow? I don't have vonage or a regular phone, just a cell. Is there any type of cable that I can connect to the modem port to dial out or is this not possible? Any input appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:11 AM

Well.... the R15 doesn't need to call out. Provided you are willing to purchase PPV via the DirecTV website.

Yes... technically in the contract, you say you will have it connected to a phone line at all times....

Reallity... the R15 has no need at this point to dialout, except for PPV uploads.

But... your solution would have to be directly related to your phone... I know for my motorola phone, I can purchase a base... that I can put the cell phone in, and it then will basically connect to my entire home and I can use any regular phone and have the call go through the CELL.... (am I am seriously considering doing it)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:20 AM

Earl if you do get the base for the cell make a post and let us all know how it works for I would like this solution if it works well

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:20 AM

Earl if you do get the base for the cell make a post and let us all know how it works for I would like this solution if it works well

Will do!!
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   kb9vrg

kb9vrg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

Can I dialout from an R15 somehow? I don't have vonage or a regular phone, just a cell. Is there any type of cable that I can connect to the modem port to dial out or is this not possible? Any input appreciated.

There are several 'bases' out there that allow one to hook up regular analog phones to a cellular. The Cidco Merge product comes to mind. However, remember that most cellular phones transmit audio digitally, so you would more than likely encounter the same issue with the R15 on one of these bases as you would using it with Vonage, as the Codecs used for CDMA, TDMA, and GSM would definitely screw up the modem's communication.

It *could* work if you could force your phone into Analog mode and have it stay there.

#6 OFFLINE   1sat4me

1sat4me

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

I have been recording fine without ever having a phone connected despite the first CSR refusing to press <ENTER> to activate my R15 unless a phone line was connected. I just wanted to use the phone for the updates. Unfortunately it may not work for me since I have cingular and a RAZR and that is completely digital with no option for analog.

#7 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:54 PM

Actually with an R15 you do not need the phone for updates on the reciver for all updates on the R15 come down from the sat none of them come over the phone to my knowledge.

#8 OFFLINE   1sat4me

1sat4me

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:28 PM

I thought that too, but now I am not sure. Doesn't only the guide get dl'd over the satellite, and the software comes off the phone line? Because my software says it was upgraded in 1979!? I must have the pre beta software release. ;)

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:54 PM

Software and guide data both come via the SAT lines
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   1sat4me

1sat4me

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:59 PM

Good, then I won't need the cell base station at this time. One question. Why does the software say it's original update is 100 and 102 was downloaded in 1979 and it says future upgrade: not scheduled. Isn't the software version up to 105 or more?

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:01 PM

Depends on your manufacture

If you are manufacture code: 300 then the latest is 102b
If you are manufacture code: 500 then the latest is 109a

As for the date for the "latest" install. It appears that something with the "original" image on the hard drive and the first update, a wacky date get's in there. Once you get your 2nd update, it will be a more "traditional" date
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#12 OFFLINE   1sat4me

1sat4me

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

My manufacture code is a 300 so that all matches up. Thank you sir.

#13 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

Mine says 1979 also I believe that the reason is that the software was updated before the reciver was activated and therefore the date and clock had not been set yet and that the reason for 1979 for the reciver really thought it was 1979 why I dont know.

#14 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

Mine says 1979 also I believe that the reason is that the software was updated before the reciver was activated and therefore the date and clock had not been set yet and that the reason for 1979 for the reciver really thought it was 1979 why I dont know.

My original update date was something like 2040. I hope thats not how long the box thinks it's going to take to get fixed correctly :)

#15 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:56 PM

My original update date was something like 2040. I hope thats not how long the box thinks it's going to take to get fixed correctly :)

ROFLOL! :hurah:

spam firewall