Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Primestar Dish and Switch?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   halapeno

halapeno

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

We have been using Dish Network for years and a separate dish and receiver to tune in The Filipino Channel. But now The Filipino Channel has stopped broadcasting and has joined up with Directv. So we discontinued Dish Network and going to activate Directv.

The people at the Filipino channel say that our old 33" dish (Primestar I believe) will work to receive the 110/119 satellite signal and I have a 3 year old DirecTv 18" dish and receiver.

So my questions are:
1. What kind of switch is needed for these two dishes?
2. My 18" dish has 2 angles for pointing the dish, elevation and azimuth. However, the oval dish requirement on the receiver gives angles for
elevation, azimuth and tilt. I have not figured out how one "tilts" a round 33" dish. I reason that I can disregard the tilt angle, but do I have to choose between the 110 and 119 satellites?

Thanks,
Hal

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:51 AM

I am almost positive the Filipino channels are off at the 72 mark...

But not 100% sure, I will have to check.

My recommendation... Call DirecTV, tell them you are intrested in the package, and they will upgrade yoru dish... brobably even to the 5LNB, but at least the 3LNB... then you would have the native switch in either of the units.

This would be the best method, because even if the Filipino channels are on say 119 today, and you only tune 119 today... there is no guarantee they will stay there... they may move to 110, or to 72, or one of the other slots.

If you are telling DirecTV you ar dumping your remaining DISH subscription, to spend the additonal $30 with them... they will probably do the upgrade for free or at least at a minimal cost.

BTW: How are those channels? I thought about adding them for my In-Laws... but that would mean they would be over more often... a catch 22.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   halapeno

halapeno

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

Earl,

Thanks for the information ... any idea where I can find information on which satellite I should use for the Filipino Channel. I've called DirecTV both domestic and international technical centers and neither could give me any information. They just said call a local installer. So basically DirecTV technical people are completely useless.

The Filipino Channel carries local Manila programming ... channel 7 plus about 4 other movie and sports programming. DirectV also offers channel 2 (GMA) for an additional $10.00. Both channel 2 and channel 7 are the most popular in the Philippines. Dish Network has something called the Mabuhay Channel which has local Manila channels, but they are not very popular with the Filipinos.

Anyway, the only reason I'm doing this myself is because the installers did not show up for 2 different appointments. So I lost 2 days vacation, and cannot afford to lose any more.

Hal

#4 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:53 PM

Sorry, Earl, but the Filipino channels, along with all the international channels, are off the 95 satellite. You need the larger dish and a linear polarized LNB to get them, and the signal strength isn't as high as for D*'s satellites (I think they are just leasing the space on the 95 bird.)

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:15 PM

Okay... so it wasn't the 72... Thanks for the correction.

So what you are saying is that he will need a 2nd dish.. and one special for that SAT slot.

The multiswitch though is easy... You will need one of the Zinwells that have the two flex ports.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   halapeno

halapeno

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:11 AM

Okay... so it wasn't the 72... Thanks for the correction.

So what you are saying is that he will need a 2nd dish.. and one special for that SAT slot.

The multiswitch though is easy... You will need one of the Zinwells that have the two flex ports.

Thanks Earl,

I found TFC on Galaxy 3C yesterday, along with the elevation and azimuth.
The strange thing is that no skew angles are listed for G3C which makes me wonder why a polarized LNB is required.

But the information about the Zinwell switch was just what I needed.

Thanks,
Hal

#7 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Earl,

I found TFC on Galaxy 3C yesterday, along with the elevation and azimuth.
The strange thing is that no skew angles are listed for G3C which makes me wonder why a polarized LNB is required.

But the information about the Zinwell switch was just what I needed.

Thanks,
Hal

The polarization is on the feedhorn. It is a linear polarized feedhorn, which means the waveguide opeening is oriented either vertically or horizontally. IIRC, the D* international channels are all vertical polarization. A quick check of the transponders will confirm the polarization.

#8 OFFLINE   mikes94547

mikes94547

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:00 AM

Mabuhay was on 121 previously but has been moved. Does anybody know what sat i have to aim at to get Mabuhay again/

thanks

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

DirecTV doesn't have a slot at 121

You may want to ask in the General Sat Forum
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:23 AM

We have been using Dish Network for years and a separate dish and receiver to tune in The Filipino Channel. But now The Filipino Channel has stopped broadcasting and has joined up with Directv. So we discontinued Dish Network and going to activate Directv.

The people at the Filipino channel say that our old 33" dish (Primestar I believe) will work to receive the 110/119 satellite signal and I have a 3 year old DirecTv 18" dish and receiver.

So my questions are:
1. What kind of switch is needed for these two dishes?
2. My 18" dish has 2 angles for pointing the dish, elevation and azimuth. However, the oval dish requirement on the receiver gives angles for
elevation, azimuth and tilt. I have not figured out how one "tilts" a round 33" dish. I reason that I can disregard the tilt angle, but do I have to choose between the 110 and 119 satellites?

Thanks,
Hal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primestar

The above link describes the Primestar dish as a Medium strength/powered type dish which is not the same as current satellites, or dishes. Have a quick read of the URL, second paragraph.

Good luck.
Living Room: HR20-700S - OTA enabled; Networking & Internet working
Bedroom : HR20-700S - OTA not used; Networking & Internet working
Firmware on both units CE0x1C3
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.
Comcast Internet & Basic w/discount

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primestar

The above link describes the Primestar dish as a Medium strength/powered type dish which is not the same as current satellites, or dishes. Have a quick read of the URL, second paragraph.

Good luck.

FYI: The part of the thread you replied to.... 18 months old.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#12 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

FYI: The part of the thread you replied to.... 18 months old.

Earl you replied to it @11:18am today before me, so I assumed it was current, sorry, but thank you for the heads up. I will be more careful next time.

Thanks.
Living Room: HR20-700S - OTA enabled; Networking & Internet working
Bedroom : HR20-700S - OTA not used; Networking & Internet working
Firmware on both units CE0x1C3
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.
Comcast Internet & Basic w/discount

Protected By... spam firewall...And...