Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need Help Deciding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gkamer

gkamer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

Hi All,
I need some help deciding on what to do regarding HD through DirectTV.... My situation is I live 60 miles west of Spokane in Washington state. I am purchasing a plasma EDTV and thought it would be good to get DirectTV HD package. I am sure I will get a better signal than what I get now with my local cable company.

Now I understand I can get that OTA antenna from DirectTV when they install the dish, or buy it from a local company. The problem for me is there is no "local" company I can buy from. The closest one would be in Spokane, 60 miles away.

So would it be better to purchase the antenna from someone there and pay who only knows how much to have them drive way over here to install it, or would it be better to just hvae DirectTV install their's????

Any advice would be welcomed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

The Installers are from your "area" they don't fly them in from somewhere else.

BUT... the antenna they are authorized to install, may not be good for your area.

It is a crap shot. I would, when the installation is scheduled, get in contact with that actually installer company and ask their recommendation.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Digital Madman

Digital Madman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

get a Chan. Master 4221. It is not large and will pull in channels 60 miles out. That is if you dont have any VHF digitals. Check antennaweb.org to be sure.

#4 OFFLINE   hammbone_larry

hammbone_larry

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:51 PM

DirecTV has come out with a new dish that tracks in a new satellite. I'm not sure if it is available in your area yet or not but soon will be the only dish that they put out. Tell them that you would like the Ka/Ku dish installed. Yes it is a larger dish but all of the HD channels will be on it. You might have some problems with your install due to under trained installers in your area. You might want to call your locally contracted DirecTV installer and ask for a trained employee on this certain dish to install it. May I remind you that this is a new dish and is very fragile. It uses a fine tune adjustment called a dither and will help to increase signal strenth. If I may help you feel free to ask more.
Larry

#5 OFFLINE   Larry_Rymal

Larry_Rymal

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:15 AM

DirecTV has come out with a new dish that tracks in a new satellite. ... May I remind you that this is a new dish and is very fragile. It uses a fine tune adjustment called a dither and will help to increase signal strenth...
Larry

This is the 5LNB AT9, right? IF so, it isn't particularly fragile at all. Just requires very precise aiming using DirecTV's recipe approach as listed in its manual. No biggie if one is comfortable with instructional manuals.

The Channels Master 4221, as mentioned earlier, is also a good local, over-the-air, antenna with a very wide reception aim---not narrow focus. Getting this kind of antenna is the easy part. Very simple to install which means you can shop around a bit.

I'd suggest going to http://www.solidsignal.com. Dig around.

I purchased an amplied SquareShooter from them. I like it, but I wish I had waited a bit as better choices came out after my purchase. I'm about 55 miles away and get reliable reception in the 90s for the signal strength:

http://www.solidsign...ROD=OBO-SS-2000

Channel Master 4221:
http://www.solidsign...T=&PROD=ANC3021

Here's a rather pricey, but curious one, the Lacrosse. You might dig around on GOOGLE for a review:
http://www.solidsign...D=AD-LACROSSE-A

#6 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:57 AM

in case you are interested

http://www.warrenele...tennas/4228.htm

4228 is 40 bucks and considered very good as well.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...