Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many recievers on D** acount

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   boatlover

boatlover

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hi. How many receivers can I have activated on a Directv account.

Thank You

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

When Hughes ran Directv, it was 8. I have no idea if the new regime kept this or changed it.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:19 PM

It is a "practicle" number of 8...

After 8, they start to get a little "curious" on why a non-buisness account would need more then 8.

But there are people that have had more.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:45 AM

March 1st with their new lease system Dealers will only be able to put in a maximum of 6 receivers. The customer will have to pay extra beyond 4 though for equipment and install. From the answers I have gotten from Retail Services Directv themselves will be able to exceed the 6 receiver limit.

#5 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:37 PM

March 1st with their new lease system Dealers will only be able to put in a maximum of 6 receivers. The customer will have to pay extra beyond 4 though for equipment and install. From the answers I have gotten from Retail Services Directv themselves will be able to exceed the 6 receiver limit.

Will that effect existing customers? I currently have 7.

#6 OFFLINE   Texlonghorn

Texlonghorn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

I think you can have as many as you want

#7 OFFLINE   Texlonghorn

Texlonghorn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

i know somebody that has 16 irds in his house

#8 OFFLINE   missileman

missileman

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

i know somebody that has 16 irds in his house

16? I'm not sure I believe that.

#9 OFFLINE   LacyinTX

LacyinTX

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

16? I'm not sure I believe that.

My sister has 11 in her house....what's hard to believe? :)

ETA the smilie because I realized that sounded kind of snarky. Sorry!

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

I hope these are really large houses or at least really large families. TO have 6 or 8 or more IRD's in one house for 2-3 people would be seemingly idiotic, or incredibly lazy....

;)

#11 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:35 PM

Let's not pass judgment.

Don't you have a TV.......

in your bathrooms? could be 1 or 2
out on your deck/patio? 1
in every bedroom? 3-5
in your den/family room? 1
in your home theatre room? 1

easy to have 8.

I have 7, but have 2 other outlets wired (when I want to watch outdoors I take a box with me - also if I want to watch while at my home workshop).

It is crazy isn't it? Maybe you're right after all!!!!!!

#12 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:12 PM

There are only 2 of us in my house, yet -

1 receiver in the bedroom (ancient Hughes receiver)
1 DTiVo in guest room (unmodded 35 hr HDVR2, I keep cartoons and such on it for when nieces and nephews come over)
1 DTiVo in living room (Philips Series 1 106 hr, the workhorse)
1 R15 also in the living room (I'm really trying to like it. Really.)
1 DTiVo in closet (de-activated Samsung 4080, unsubbed until I give the R15 a good workout)

2 people, 4 active receivers and over 200 hrs recording capacity. And I might just re-activate the Samsung and keep the R15 going as well. Yes, I am a technology whore :D
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#13 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:59 AM

I hope these are really large houses or at least really large families. TO have 6 or 8 or more IRD's in one house for 2-3 people would be seemingly idiotic, or incredibly lazy....

;)

Put me down as idiotic. :D

I live alone and take advantage of deals too often. I also watch WAY too much TV. I do buy some TiVo's, use them for a while, then give them away.

Currently I have two Phillips DSR6000Rs in the upstairs bedroom that I now rarely watch. Will most likely be deactivating them soon.

In my living room, all attached to my 60" Sony Wega, I have:
Two HR10-250s
Two Hughes SD-DVR80s
One Hughes SD-DVR40
A D10 receiver connected to a Humax TiVo w/DVD burner

I also have two Humax Series 2 TiVos connected to VERY basic cable.

The SD-DVR40 is one of the free refurbs I just got. I'm thinking I'll use that primarily for recording SD sports (U of Mn Hockey, Basketball, etc.) mostly from RSNs.

My two HD TiVo's - I've pretty much got one that records OTA from NBC and CBS and the other OTA from ABC and FOX. Plus other programs split between them.

The two SD-DVR80s I've used as back ups (and mostly just delete things when I've watched them on the HDs), plus some UPN and WB shows and poker shows.

The two standalone TiVo's with cable are also used as back-ups, which works nice when I have problems with the sat due to whether. Again, mostly just record and delete because I've watched them on the HD.

On the Humax with DVD, I record programs (connected to both D* and VERY basic cable) to burn to DVD and send to my nephew who is currently serving in Iraq. Lots of "Dog Whisperer".

I think "idiotic" is not far off, though my family doesn't mind when they get the units I give away. Also in the idiotic vein, I abhor universal remotes. Yup, I use about a dozen different remotes, which isn't as hard or confusing as it sounds once you've been doing it for a while.

#14 OFFLINE   Larry_Rymal

Larry_Rymal

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:05 AM

We have 2 in the kitchen using a very old D* receiver and small flatpanel over the counter. Then another old D* receiver and 21" TV mounted near the kitchen table.

Back deck/patio has another old receiver and 25" tv. Works wonderfully.

Three bedrooms have their own D* receiver and TV for a total of three.

Computer/hobby room has an RCA 450 receiver and TV. Also, hooks to a TV tuner card in the computer.

Garage/shop has a RCA 450 and old TV.

Finally, the living room has the H20 and TV. Possibly going the projector route.

So, my total is: 9. It all works. I have no idea how!!! :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:50 AM

I really think its a waste of money for 1-2 people to have so many receivers and pay $5 a month extra for each of them. I am NOT knocking anyone as I started going that route and once had 3 DVR's and 2 GCEBOA's and I am just 1 person currently.

Then I started thinking do I really need to pay $5 extra for the basement TV as all I ever use it is when I am exercising or doing the laundry, then do I really need to pay $5 extra for the kitchen TV as again all I ever use it is when I am cooking or eating.

I have 5 TV's in the house and now only two have DVR's and the other 3 TV's are outputted from the main R-15 in the living room so they see whats on the main unit. If I am watching something on the main TV and go into the other rooms for a minute I can just turn on the TV and not miss anything.

#16 OFFLINE   Cryptkeeper

Cryptkeeper

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

Let me put my own two cents in, if I may.

Lets assume some big star like Shaq has this big pad of his, yes thats a little extreme.

You really think a guy like him is going to be stuck with only 8 receivers??
Last I heard is that there can be no limit...just the limit of what the installer can rig up with the variety of multiswitches.

Oh what a nightmare that would be.

#17 OFFLINE   or270

or270

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:20 PM

Let me put my own two cents in, if I may.

Lets assume some big star like Shaq has this big pad of his, yes thats a little extreme.

You really think a guy like him is going to be stuck with only 8 receivers??
Last I heard is that there can be no limit...just the limit of what the installer can rig up with the variety of multiswitches.

Oh what a nightmare that would be.

The installer for my lastest DVR told me about the install Ironwood Comm. did at the NEW Corp. call center
in Klamath Falls, OR. They handle the protection plan for directv.

362 drops off 1 dish, said they also used 4x16 multiswitchs and amp's, covered a wall.

#18 OFFLINE   kay

kay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:40 AM

wow that's a lot of drops!

spam firewall