Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RF remote for R-15

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   unsub

unsub

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

is there any RF remote that will work with the R-15? a phone rep at Directv claimed you could buy one at Circuit City. I was under the impression that d* was going to make and sell them directly.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

As of right now... the RF functionality is disabled on the R15.
It should be added in an upcomming software released.

So right now... no.

The R24 is the remote that is the RF equivilent of the R23
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:09 PM

As of right now... the RF functionality is disabled on the R15.
It should be added in an upcomming software released.

So right now... no.

The R24 is the remote that is the RF equivilent of the R23

Think it will work with aftermarket RF remotes? (I mean after it's activated) I really don't like the layout of the remote I currently have for the R15, even after using it for quite some time I still am never quite sure where some of the keys are and even if I do know some are so small and so close together I either hit the wrong one or I mash more then one.

#4 OFFLINE   Mr. Furious

Mr. Furious

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:22 PM

Well, the Harmony H880 works very well with the R15, so I'd suspect that the H890 (basically an H880 with RF) would be a good choice.

It's a little salty, though.

#5 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

Think it will work with aftermarket RF remotes? (I mean after it's activated) I really don't like the layout of the remote I currently have for the R15, even after using it for quite some time I still am never quite sure where some of the keys are and even if I do know some are so small and so close together I either hit the wrong one or I mash more then one.

If you mean a RF universal remote communicating directly with R15 after its RF function is turned on? No, the only RF remote to EVER control the R15 is the Rf oem remote. Universal RF remotes only know one RF frequency, their own, which they use to communicate with its basestation. All RF universal remotes are IR only controlling remotes, but use RF to do it from afar.

#6 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:16 PM

If you mean a RF universal remote communicating directly with R15 after its RF function is turned on? No, the only RF remote to EVER control the R15 is the Rf oem remote. Universal RF remotes only know one RF frequency, their own, which they use to communicate with its basestation. All RF universal remotes are IR only controlling remotes, but use RF to do it from afar.

Why in the world would one pay $400 for the harmony one if it's only going to send a signal to the likes of an RF to IR blaster? Seems rather stupid to me.

#7 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:55 PM

Why in the world would one pay $400 for the harmony one if it's only going to send a signal to the likes of an RF to IR blaster? Seems rather stupid to me.

Same reason many other RFs are sold. You media cabinet/closet/or whatever does not have line of sight to your viewing area.

#8 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:17 AM

Same reason many other RFs are sold. You media cabinet/closet/or whatever does not have line of sight to your viewing area.

I guess that makes sense. Guess I just don't have a big enough house or system to need that. I know when I was using just my A10 it was always hidden away in a cabinet so you never saw it.

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:29 AM

I would "doubt" that it would be able to work with any 3rd party RF Remotes... but until it is turned on... that is just an guess on my part.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall