Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Radio Shack Indoor Antenna

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bulldog200024

bulldog200024

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

http://www.radioshac...rentPage=family

I live 40 miles from the towers in St. Louis and bought this antenna to try it out before paying more for a outdoor antenna. And to my surprise, I can get a signal strenght of 80-85 on all locals here in St. Louis. At that strength, I have a perfect picture with little or no loss of signal or pixelation. Now, the land is pretty flat between me and the towers, and they are all fairly close to each other, but 40+ miles away! I just placed it behind my entertainment center and pointed it in the general direction of city and viola! I do have to slightly adjust it to recieve that strenght on the WB. Radio Shack has a 30 return policy so anyone interested in recieving OTA locals, check this one out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:28 PM

Indoor antenna for OTA HD
I've tried a number of different antennas for OTA HD reception, including the Terk/Audiovox/Zenith Silver Sensor. Most of them have a common failing -- if the TV transmitters are not all the same direction from your home, you have to twiddle endlessly with pointing the antenna.
I recently came across an antenna from Radio Shack that solves the problem nicely. It's their item #15-1892 "Indoor VHF/UHF/HDTV antenna with remote control". Of course, we all know that there's no such thing as an HDTV antenna, but I digress.
Aside from the fact that it's an amplified antenna, the thing that sets it aside from others is the fact that the UHF antenna is contained in a horizontal dish about 12 3/4" in diameter, which can be rotated to 12 different positions using the included RF remote. Further, the microprocessor in the unit can store the UHF antenna direction for up to 100 channels (00-99), along with selected amplifier gain setting. There are 3 gain settings: Level 1 = 13 db. min., Level 2 = 18 db. min. and Level 3 = 22 db. min. Once you've set the unit up, it's a simple matter of entering the channel number to get tha antenna pointed in the right direction. Of course, the VHF antenna is a simple rabbit ears, so the only thing you control remotely with it is the amplifier gain.
All in all, a very nice solution if you need to use an indoor antenna for OTA reception. I'm able to pull in all the Charlotte area locals at a distance ranging from 11 to 36 miles from the transmitter sites.
Link to the RS description: http://www.radioshac....tId=2131034

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

http://www.radioshac...rentPage=family

I live 40 miles from the towers in St. Louis and bought this antenna to try it out before paying more for a outdoor antenna. And to my surprise, I can get a signal strenght of 80-85 on all locals here in St. Louis. At that strength, I have a perfect picture with little or no loss of signal or pixelation. Now, the land is pretty flat between me and the towers, and they are all fairly close to each other, but 40+ miles away! I just placed it behind my entertainment center and pointed it in the general direction of city and viola! I do have to slightly adjust it to recieve that strenght on the WB. Radio Shack has a 30 return policy so anyone interested in recieving OTA locals, check this one out.

I bought this antenna about a year ago, I live about 35 miles away from the transmitters but I have hills interfering, which caused some pixel loss, but over all I was very happy with the unit, I had to move it slightly to get FOX, most of the time I could get both NBC and FOX clearly. It is a very good unit, but I needed a bit more, so I bought the Antenna Master Stealth antenna with amplifier for about $45 fro the antenna and another $45 for the amplifier and now I get 3 stations at 125% vs 85% with the Radio Shack . For the price it worked great, I just had a hard time showing friend my great HD TV and next to it I had Bonnie ears.
DVR 622 , DVR 510, HDTV 811
Satelites: 110,119,148,129 Switch 44

#4 OFFLINE   RussTC3

RussTC3

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

I've been using an indoor antenna for a while now, it's the following model:
RCA ANT200M
To amazing results, considering my location to my towers. The only thing I don't like is that I can't pick up any of my two local VHF stations.

The UHF stations come in just fine, with strength of 65-94.

Here is what antennaweb.org tells me I can pick up (click to enlarge):
Posted Image

Of those channels, I pick up:

Now, I could just go pick up an outdoor antenna, but if I can use an indoor one, that's what I prefer to do. So there are two channels that I want that I dont' currently pick up; 3.1 (WKYC-DT NBC) and 19.1 (WOIO-DT, CBS - which is not pictured.). Both of those stations are VHF.

So, which of these two antennas do you think would be the best for me? Which offers the best reception? The 1880 or the 1892?

Also, how do Radio Shack's OUTDOOR antennas stack up against a brand such as Channel Master? Say this one:http://www.solidsign...T=&PROD=ANC3679 compared to this one:http://www.radioshac...85&tab=features

Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   bulldog200024

bulldog200024

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:39 PM

For the price it worked great, I just had a hard time showing friend my great HD TV and next to it I had Bonnie ears.

Mine fits nicely behind the TV, where only visible from, behind the TV.

#6 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:46 PM

So, which of these two antennas do you think would be the best for me? Which offers the best reception? The 1880 or the 1892?

Also, how do Radio Shack's OUTDOOR antennas stack up against a brand such as Channel Master? Say this one:http://www.solidsign...T=&PROD=ANC3679 compared to this one:http://www.radioshac...85&tab=features

Thanks!

I have the Channel Master Stealth antenna $75 and amplifier $59, I live 35 miles from the station with some hill on the way and I get between 120 to 125 % signal strength, it is an outdoor, small antenna. Most of my friends recommend Channel Master, specially for HD.

http://store.yahoo.c...r/chma30st.html

I got mine from Fry's electronics for less
DVR 622 , DVR 510, HDTV 811
Satelites: 110,119,148,129 Switch 44

Protected By... spam firewall...And...