Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Double Giveaway ????

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brykc14

brykc14

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

Ok Last week I order the Directv Tivo, for the DVR4ME Promo. I already had a R10 and since these were free minus shipping I order it for the bedroom to replace my D10. Well today the installer came out and guess what. He installed the R15...hmmm. I had been wanting to get the R15 but thought Id wait til a few upgrades came out. So I didnt say anything about it not being the refrubished Tivo 40 unit. Then to top that off about 30 minutes after he left I get a knock at my door, it was Fedx with a package. Low and behold it was the Hughes Tivo.

So here I am with a R15 and a Hughes Tivo. And my question is has this happened to anyone else...Is D* going charge me for the R15 that the installer brought and called D* and Activated. Are they going to charge me for the Hughes Tivo that says Paid on website. Or do I take this as a DOuble Giveaway???
Directv 96-99 , Dish Network 99-01, Directv 01- Present

Phillps Series 1 Tivo 1999
Hughes HDR40 2004
R10 2005
R15 2006

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:23 PM

Ok Last week I order the Directv Tivo, for the DVR4ME Promo. I already had a R10 and since these were free minus shipping I order it for the bedroom to replace my D10. Well today the installer came out and guess what. He installed the R15...hmmm. I had been wanting to get the R15 but thought Id wait til a few upgrades came out. So I didnt say anything about it not being the refrubished Tivo 40 unit. Then to top that off about 30 minutes after he left I get a knock at my door, it was Fedx with a package. Low and behold it was the Hughes Tivo.

So here I am with a R15 and a Hughes Tivo. And my question is has this happened to anyone else...Is D* going charge me for the R15 that the installer brought and called D* and Activated. Are they going to charge me for the Hughes Tivo that says Paid on website. Or do I take this as a DOuble Giveaway???

I saw someone else say the same thing happened to them. :)

#3 OFFLINE   brykc14

brykc14

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

I just wonder if D* will try and charge me full price for one of them.
Directv 96-99 , Dish Network 99-01, Directv 01- Present

Phillps Series 1 Tivo 1999
Hughes HDR40 2004
R10 2005
R15 2006

#4 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:52 PM

Then you say I only ordered one, and send the other back.

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:53 AM

I agree with Wolffpack. Whether they will catch up with themselves, I don't know. When I did the DVR4ME thing, I received the refurb the night before the scheduled install. I kinda needed a couple of cable runs tweaked, so I didn't cancel the install - I figured I might as well take advantage of it. When the installer showed up, his work order said to bring a unit and he had it in his truck. He didn't bring it in, but I think he said it was an R15.

He had to call in, have someone check the work order, then he had to cancel that work order and have it redone. I suspect this may be somewhat common, or at least happen on some occaisions. I didn't look at the work order to see if there was anything on there about what the charges were, but I didn't want to mess with having to deal with "unexpected" charges on a unit I received but did not order.

Hope things work out for you. I'm not sure how I would go about trying to explain that I knew I ordered one receiver and got two and not take responsibility in some way for it - whether that be paying whatever extra for the receiver I did not order, or return the one I did not order.

One note: on the DVR4ME offer, there is no additional commitment required. If you received and activated an R15 - even though you didn't actually order it - you may be subject to an additional/new two year commitment.

#6 OFFLINE   I8>DVR

I8>DVR

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:25 AM

It seems to be fairly common that people are ending up with 2 from this deal. If you search around abit you will find it mentioned many times. Read through the post on the tivo boards and it is happening to many people. So far no one has said they got charged for 2, just the one 14.95+tax.

I got a call on 2/8 confirming the installer coming Friday (2/10) then recieved a HDVR2 from fedex on 2/9.... dtv didnt seem to plan this thing out very well or something. Maybe they just wanted to clean out their warehouse and didnt wanna pay to dump the old ones in the landfill!! :hurah:

http://www.tivocommu...90&page=1&pp=30

#7 OFFLINE   stvince

stvince

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:15 AM

Happened with me also.

spam firewall