Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15: Freezing / Crashing-> Software Versions (109f, 1031) ONLY!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:31 AM

Rules for this thread:

If your unit Freezes up, to the point that it needs to be reset or power recycled...
If you manage to CRASH the unit somehow...

Post it here.

If possible; please post any error codes on the screen.
How you did it...
What the unit may have been doing at the time (what recordings where going on, ect)

What I don't want to see...

"This thing is crashing all the time..." with no explanation of what you as a user was doing at the time it was crashing,

"We" as a community, should also try to help filter out what is a software bug... and what maybe is a hard drive dying... (which should still be rare at this point)...

Earl

NOTE: These thread are not to be used as a BASHING point for the R15... these are bug/issue tracking threads..
If you have comments about the R15; Please find an appropriate existing thread, or start a new one.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ghost

ghost

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:22 AM

I have had the R 15 for two weeks now. Today is 17 Feb. This past Sunday night the receiver froze up. I got up Monday morning to check the weather before leaving for work. The unit was powered up, there was a picture frozen on screen, but the picture was broken into puzzle pieces. Audio was coming through loud and clear. The unit could not be turned off. I had set it to record a movie before I went to bed Sunday night. The movie did not record. The receiver would not respond to any remote control inputs.

I unplugged the receiver and waited about thirty seconds. Plugged it back in and it went through the set-up stuff and picture was restored.

It froze again last night. This time we were watching TV and the picture would get pixelated at infrequent times. All of a sudden during one of the pixelations, it froze completely with the same thing as described above happening. The only exception is that this time we were NOT recording anything. I unplugged the receiver, waited and it set up and returned to normal. Satellite signal is 95 or better and there are no obstructions to the dish.

#3 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:17 AM

Have you received the software update yet?

Hopefully this will fix this problem of the freeze ups I have read where it seems that more people have been having them since the upgrades were started being deployed.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:56 AM

Hopefully this will fix this problem of the freeze ups I have read where it seems that more people have been having them since the upgrades were started being deployed.

If it is the same threads I have seen... it is NOT the upgrade that is causing the freeze... It is people still on the older version, and it "appears" that they are freezing....

Could be a complete coincidence.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

If it is the same threads I have seen... it is NOT the upgrade that is causing the freeze... It is people still on the older version, and it "appears" that they are freezing....

Could be a complete coincidence.

Earl, I think the upgrade is causing the older versions to lock and freeze. I haven't added any new series links or made any changes to my boxes. Before the upgrade was announced I only ever had to reset each of my boxes once (since the beginning of Dec) and after you said you have the upgrade my boxes have been locking up every night.

#6 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:10 AM

Me too. I have had more problems in the past week or so than the prior month combined.

#7 OFFLINE   ibfunky

ibfunky

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

Same issue here. I've had no problems with freezing video ( audio continues) until about one to two weeks ago. I've been going along since late Nov, fat , dumb and happy with the R15. Now video freeze up (audio continues) almost daily.....I can't isolate when it seems to happen........no recording, one tuner recording, both tuners recording---all situations have had "Brain Freeze"...
R15-500 has not been updated yet as of this AM

#8 OFFLINE   ghost

ghost

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

I checked last night. It is 109f.

#9 OFFLINE   gimme5

gimme5

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:25 AM

same here, no freeze ups at all until they started sending the upgrade. now, it's pretty much every day.

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:27 AM

same here, no freeze ups at all until they started sending the upgrade. now, it's pretty much every day.

Gimme... are you at the 109f version?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#11 OFFLINE   khajath

khajath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:23 AM

My box have crash at least once a day for the last few days ? Probably due to software upgrade. Worse than Microsoft upgrade.

#12 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

My box have crash at least once a day for the last few days ? Probably due to software upgrade. Worse than Microsoft upgrade.

Check your software version... If you are at 109a... then you are not at the upgraded version yet.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:30 PM

Not a crash or freeze, but a SIGNIFICANT problem with series link recording after 109F upgrade:

I have now had two series links that were set up and recording properly before the upgrade simply stop recording. They still show the R)) symbol in the guide, but do not appear in the to-do list (although future showings do, the current one does not). If you try to start recording one of them, it brings up the window that says it is already recording, and asks if I want to stop and keep, stop and delete, or continue recording.

I am using the LED indicator on the front of the unit as the indicator of whether or not it is recording (LED is not lit). Also, the show does not show up in My VOD after it is supposedly recorded.

I have removed all instances of the programs in the to-do list, and have managed to remove all recording indications. I then re-set the series link request by pressing R twice in the guide appearance, and got the appropriate R)) symbol. I now need to wait and see if recording occurs on the next scheduled showing. Might be a day or two before I have further results.

I did not do a reset of the R15.

I have at least one other series link set up, which is set to record Monday evening. I will be watching it closely to see if it works or not.

So - a word of caution to everyone as you get the 109F upgrade. Watch your series links carefully to see if they record or not.

Carl

#14 OFFLINE   khajath

khajath

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:22 AM

Check your software version... If you are at 109a... then you are not at the upgraded version yet.

How do you check for software version ?. I lost the manual. Thank you.

#15 OFFLINE   hitechluddite

hitechluddite

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:45 AM

Khajath hit guide select settings then select setup then info & test it should show you the software version.

I'm still on 109A tried to force upgrade this morning after a overnight lockup. 3rd lockup this week, all overnight.

For the guys who are on 109f I wonder if resetting the series recordings would help the problem? I think I will delete all the old series recordings and set new ones after the S/W upgrade..

#16 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:37 PM

Not a crash or freeze, but a SIGNIFICANT problem with series link recording after 109F upgrade:

I have now had two series links that were set up and recording properly before the upgrade simply stop recording. They still show the R)) symbol in the guide, but do not appear in the to-do list (although future showings do, the current one does not). If you try to start recording one of them, it brings up the window that says it is already recording, and asks if I want to stop and keep, stop and delete, or continue recording.

I am using the LED indicator on the front of the unit as the indicator of whether or not it is recording (LED is not lit). Also, the show does not show up in My VOD after it is supposedly recorded.

I have removed all instances of the programs in the to-do list, and have managed to remove all recording indications. I then re-set the series link request by pressing R twice in the guide appearance, and got the appropriate R)) symbol. I now need to wait and see if recording occurs on the next scheduled showing. Might be a day or two before I have further results.

I did not do a reset of the R15.

I have at least one other series link set up, which is set to record Monday evening. I will be watching it closely to see if it works or not.

So - a word of caution to everyone as you get the 109F upgrade. Watch your series links carefully to see if they record or not.

Carl

Okay, a couple of days later - here is an update.

Everything seems to be working properly now. Whatever was going wrong before is okay now. I have no idea why some shows simply did not record, and why all is working properly now. I have not done anything other than to completely delete one of the series links and all associated entries in the to-do list (for news that did not record). Otherwise, I took no special action.

Carl

#17 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:09 AM

Maybe it took that long to process all the new information?
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300
(Gathering dust in a closet)

#18 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

Ok guys and gals I noticed something very odd this weekend. I moved to my new house this weekend and can't get DirecTV out until this wednesday to setup the dish and run some new lines for me. SO I had a bunch of stuff I had been saving knowing this might happen. Well Sunday night I decide to hook up the R15 to my TV and watch some shows. Plug everything in to the TV and power it up. First it starts booting fine then takes FOREVER to get to the searching for sat big blue screen. Well once it gets there I hit exit and all is fine I go to the ToDo list and watch some shows. Hit the power button turn it off to do something, come back in the room and go to turn it on and nothing, no response from the remote no response from the buttons on the front, so I hit the Red button and it reboots. I go through the same process as earlier and it's back to running. Get ready to go to sleep and then get up yesterday morning and the SAME thing (now mind you I have had 1 lockup since I bought this in Feb).

At this point I come up with this theroy about it having no signal at all and it messing it up. So I shut it off and go to turn it right back on and the same issue.

Now I can't test this until they hook my box back up on Wednesday and I have Sat back but I wonder if some of these lockups and such could have to do with flakey or no signal coming into the R15? I just thought it was kind of strange this all started happening once it had no lines coming in hooked up. Oh and BTW I know this is a thread for the new version but i'm still on 109a.

spam firewall