Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where's my programming guide info?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:26 AM

Anyone else, not seeing any info in the guide beyond a couple hours?
It's on many, but not all channels, most noticably HD channels (excluding TNT), and locals.
I was happy to see Universal-HD showing up today on my 921, but i'd sure like to know what time Battlestar Galactica will be on.:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jake Collins

Jake Collins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:18 PM

Just got off the phone with dish network customer service representative (and her supervisor). Word is the latest software revision wiped out the program guide for 921's. They're working on a software fix to restore it, but there's no timeline and no guarantees.

When I asked what my options were, hoping may be they would take pity on a longtime customer and send out a refurbished 942, I was offered the opportunity to wait three weeks for a VIP 622. And in the meantime?

How are we supposed to use DVR's without program guides to access recording? Use the program guides on our standard definition receivers, then setup manual recordings for each individual program?

If this is affecting others differently, I'd really liketo hear about your experience.

Thanks,

jc

#3 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

It's on many, but not all channels, most noticably HD channels (excluding TNT), and locals.
I was happy to see Universal-HD showing up today on my 921, but i'd sure like to know what time Battlestar Galactica will be on.:confused:

Yes, it happens to both my 921's at least twice a week. First, I try a power button reboot. If that doesnt work:

I pull the power cord for 30 seconds, plug it back in and then wait for 5 minutes. I then gently pull out the smart card and leave it out for about 10 seconds. Once the smart card is plugged back into the slot, I let the 921 sit for about 10 minutes. The EPG usually completely returns. I know this is an unreasonable process but it works for me at least 90% of the time.

#4 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

Yes, it happens to both my 921's at least twice a week. First, I try a power button reboot. If that doesnt work:

I pull the power cord for 30 seconds, plug it back in and then wait for 5 minutes. I then gently pull out the smart card and leave it out for about 10 seconds. Once the smart card is plugged back into the slot, I let the 921 sit for about 10 minutes. The EPG usually completely returns. I know this is an unreasonable process but it works for me at least 90% of the time.

This works for me too. I just think that we should not have to pay the DVR fee during this period where you cannot rely on the guide.:nono2:

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

"Latest software revision"??? :shrug:
There hasn't been a revision for the 921 in several months. The program guide issue comes and goes for me. It usually fixes itself overnight, but that does me no good if I need to set a timer several days out.

And they have the kahoonas to raise the DVR fee :P They aught to pay us back for this lousy service!
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   921Blues

921Blues

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

Ya gotta love Dish. Have you asked them about the upgrade path to the VIP 622? They told me that their 1Q special was $399 - for the privelidge of LEASING A 622. Are they kidding? At the very least, they should waive that fee for us 921 sufferers...

921blues

#7 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:58 PM

MichaelP I think they were referencing L273. That one did wipe my guide and several other things clean. But a power out 3 hour off and then a rescan of the switch, plus allow the 921 to download a new guide for about 5-8 hours put things back the way they were before the L273 update. The only good news of this release was that it was able to be repaired while other stuff E* tries to monkey with has to wait for another version to be released. It's really sad their beta team just failes so often with these huge bugs. But let me give them the benefit of the doubt, It could be that since they are under NDA, they do find these and just don't tell us. But then I'd have to complain, what the heck good is this "official" site if we can't be told what to expect. Contrary to what the admins here would care to admit it is just an "official" place for us to come and vent! Maybe you'll get some help from someone that can tell you whats going on.

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:28 PM

921Blues.. Might want to take a look at the Posts in the Vip-622 forum. I am not aware of a 399 deal. But there is a 299 deal and a $200 dollar rebate if you wait to april 1st to order.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#9 OFFLINE   921Blues

921Blues

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

921Blues.. Might want to take a look at the Posts in the Vip-622 forum. I am not aware of a 399 deal. But there is a 299 deal and a $200 dollar rebate if you wait to april 1st to order.

I was afraid of that - thanks for the info. I can't blame Dish for this one because it's common industry wide, but I guess I should have talked 3 different service reps and averaged their answers ;). I'll definitely wait and see what they have after April...

921blues

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:03 PM

I wish there was another option fo the 622 upgrade. I don't need a professional installer! I already have DishPro LNB's and am already looking at 3 orbital locations. I don't need 129 since I have a 61.5 dish. I have a lifetime Sky Angel subscription so I need to keep 61.5. I do not subscribe to the Cleveland LIL's and will not, so I have no need for 129. Why should I pay for a signal that gets time-delayed and compressed when I can get all the locals and then some for free from here in the Cleveland antenna farm? LIL's are fine for those who cannot get a good signal OTA. Besides getting the signal OTA means getting all the subchannels (yes I do watch them).

So what does the professional installer do here? Ihave already replaced my 921 5 times :eek2: so I can hook-up the 622 myself. I paid $549 for the 921, I want more than $200 for it. It's no rebate in my book, because the replacement is a leased box. Hold the installer and give me the upgrade for $49 after the "rebate". Actually there should be no cost at all. What happened to the comittment deals. Say I sign up for an HD package for a year, waive the $49, give me $200 for my 921 and call it even. BUT GIVE ME THE OTA GUIDE WITH NO STRINGS!

#11 OFFLINE   SteveB

SteveB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

I wish there was another option fo the 622 upgrade. I don't need a professional installer! I already have DishPro LNB's and am already looking at 3 orbital locations. I don't need 129 since I have a 61.5 dish. I have a lifetime Sky Angel subscription so I need to keep 61.5. I do not subscribe to the Cleveland LIL's and will not, so I have no need for 129. Why should I pay for a signal that gets time-delayed and compressed when I can get all the locals and then some for free from here in the Cleveland antenna farm? LIL's are fine for those who cannot get a good signal OTA. Besides getting the signal OTA means getting all the subchannels (yes I do watch them).

So what does the professional installer do here? Ihave already replaced my 921 5 times :eek2: so I can hook-up the 622 myself. I paid $549 for the 921, I want more than $200 for it. It's no rebate in my book, because the replacement is a leased box. Hold the installer and give me the upgrade for $49 after the "rebate". Actually there should be no cost at all. What happened to the comittment deals. Say I sign up for an HD package for a year, waive the $49, give me $200 for my 921 and call it even. BUT GIVE ME THE OTA GUIDE WITH NO STRINGS!

I agree! I paid a $1000 for my 921 and the locals look good in L.A. Subscribe to the everything package on a yearly basis - at least they could throw in the local guide!
Steve

Model ID: DishDVR 921, purchased 8/10/2004
Boot Version:120B | Flash Version: F052 | SW Version: L332HECD-N | Satellite: Quad 110/119
Monitor: Samsung HLP5663W, 56 Inch DLP Rear Projection TV, DVI, 720p
Other Dish reciever: 501 DVR

#12 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

I agree! I paid a $1000 for my 921 and the locals look good in L.A. Subscribe to the everything package on a yearly basis - at least they could throw in the local guide!

It should have a feature so to switch to local PSIP so we can still get some guide data for the OTA locals.

#13 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

"Latest software revision"??? :shrug:
There hasn't been a revision for the 921 in several months. The program guide issue comes and goes for me. It usually fixes itself overnight, but that does me no good if I need to set a timer several days out.

And they have the kahoonas to raise the DVR fee :P They aught to pay us back for this lousy service!

FYI, I canceled my dish account in december and asked them to refund me all DVR fees, warranty fees, and to refund my 921 receiver, due to all the problems with the 921.

I got a response earlier this month that they wouldn't refund my 921 because I bought it through a reseller. They wouldn't refund the warranty because it also covered other equipment, and not just the very buggy 921 that they can't fix. But they did refund me the past year of DVR fees right back to my VISA .

So far, I'm still weighing reactivating my dish account. I have called many times about the 622, but I was told they couldn't even tell me if I "qualify" to lease a 622 unless I reactive my dish account first. Fat chance that I will do that just to find out. And the best deal around seems to be $299, which is way too steep for a lease downpayment at 50% of the equipment cost. So, I'm sitting on the fence with my 921 still, recording OTA HD with no guide and manual timers. At least when it crashes now, as it continues to do regularly unfortunately, I don't feel so bad since I'm not paying dish any fee for it whatsoever.
DishPVR 921 - boot 140B, flash F052, SW L276HECD-N
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

#14 OFFLINE   woofwoofmo

woofwoofmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:45 AM

At the moment, I'm only able to get about 36 hours worth of programming guide and the aspect ratio is stuck.:nono2: I've tried a couple of reboots, but to no avail. Will boot again later this afternoon.

#15 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:13 PM

At the moment, I'm only able to get about 36 hours worth of programming guide and the aspect ratio is stuck.:nono2: I've tried a couple of reboots, but to no avail. Will boot again later this afternoon.

For the first time since I've had the 921 I had this 48 hour EPG show up yesterday.
I rebooted, didn't help. Put the receiver in standby last night (as I always do) thinking it would update to the 9 day EPG overnight, it didn't. However, sometime
this morning the 9 day EPG showed back up. ??????

I'll sure be glad when April 1 gets here! 622 here I come!

#16 OFFLINE   Zarom

Zarom

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

It's definitely something strange. My 921 now has exactly 45-46 hours of guide information and it only started during the last week. My 501 still has the same nine days that it's always had.

On upgrading, I'd like to keep my 921 if the recent glitch goes away. My secondary location doesn't have HD, so the 250 hours of the 921 vs the 30 hours of the 501 is significant. I paid for the 921 and paid an upgrade fee for the 501. I've considered just having the VIP622 and using for both TV's, but would lose some flexibility as well as the ability to compare what's happening between PVR's, as I have now.

Mike

#17 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

I just got the full 9 day guide back. It was gone for 5 days. Advanced Tech. Support stated that it was a software issue. If it is software how was it fixed with no upgrade? it is still has L273.

#18 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

I just got the full 9 day guide back. It was gone for 5 days. Advanced Tech. Support stated that it was a software issue. If it is software how was it fixed with no upgrade? it is still has L273.

Well, how about that. Mine is back to 9 days again too. Perhaps the software that was fixed was at the uplink end.:confused:
One thing that really bugs me is that Dish Network is so closed mouthed about anything and everything. They should send us an email on what happened and how it was fixed. Maybe even send a small recording of what happened.
Seems like an apology from E* is in order and maybe even a free movie coupon.:D

Edit: Make that a free HD movie coupon.........

#19 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:12 PM

Would you believe some posters on another thread about this same probnlem had their 921's RA'ed! C'mon ATS! It's a software problem, not a hardware problem. Save the RA's for crashed hard drives.

#20 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:30 PM

When I asked what my options were, hoping may be they would take pity on a longtime customer and send out a refurbished 942, I was offered the opportunity to wait three weeks for a VIP 622. And in the meantime?

jc

Well if you want a 942 check this out!
http://www.radioshac...oductId=2185543

spam firewall