Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 External Recording?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

On the 622, there is a menu item to enable/disable an external recording device.
The menu item is active. It is different than the menu items for PocketDish, as they are located under their own sub-menu.
Does this connect to the USB?
Does anyone know, or have tried this to see if it actually is enabled?

I'm going to activate the 622 tomorrow, and I have an external 250gb USB drive.
It's the drive I use for my computer backups, so I don't want to chance losing any of its data.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:10 PM

I believe it's only for the PocketDish at this time - allowing realtime recording of programming to the external device (instead of 5 minute per hour of content transfers).

#3 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

Thanks James,
It is located in the Record Plus menu, which is where you setup whether TV1 or TV2 will be the preferred TV for recordings.
It's called ERD Setup, and when you open the ERD Setup sub-menu, it says, "if you have an external recording device hooked up to your receiver, you have the option of recording to this device."
>Disable recordings to an external device
>Enable recordings to an external device

PocketDish has its own settings in the Multi Media Setup menu.

I think I'll wait until someone else tries it with an empty external drive.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:07 PM

On a ViP-211 (I have one) under menu-6-1-7 "VCR Setup" there is an ERD Setup button. If "enabled" on the popup screen (worded just like yours) you can set a timer up to record to ERD in the timers section. (VCR/AutoTune/Reminder/ERD)

I suspect that if you "enable" yours you will find a new option in your timers menu.

As described on the Tech Forum, the PocketDishes turn any USB 2.0 reciever into a mini-DVR. They probably put that option on the 622 so the 622 would not be any less functional than the 211. Even though there are better ways to record on a 622 it appears you still have that 211 feature.

#5 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

On a ViP-211 (I have one) under menu-6-1-7 "VCR Setup" there is an ERD Setup button. If "enabled" on the popup screen (worded just like yours) you can set a timer up to record to ERD in the timers section. (VCR/AutoTune/Reminder/ERD)

I suspect that if you "enable" yours you will find a new option in your timers menu.

As described on the Tech Forum, the PocketDishes turn any USB 2.0 reciever into a mini-DVR. They probably put that option on the 622 so the 622 would not be any less functional than the 211. Even though there are better ways to record on a 622 it appears you still have that 211 feature.

Ah, this is why I ask the experts.
I now remember seeing it on the 211 (I got one just around the same time you got yours), and could never figure out what it was for.
Thanks, I understand now.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:01 AM

I may have missed something... but curiosity makes me wonder.

If you had a ViP211, and bought one of the PocketDish portable units... would you be able to use the PocketDish via Record Link and record an HD channel?

I know you can't watch HD on the PocketDish because it isn't HD resolution... but curious if you then watched that recorded program on your ViP211 what would happen.

I'm guessing the answer is "no", but it popped into my head after the chat.

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:03 AM

Not sure.. if you could it would be downrezzed, but you already stated that. James got a Pocket Dish to go with your 211 to try it? Intersting questin HdMe
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:09 AM

I don't have a PocketDish ... Send donations to .... {kidding}

IIRC you can't put HD on a PocketDish even to view at SD.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:22 AM

What sparked me thinking about it is... if the video recording is handled via the USB 2.0 port, rather than video outputs... I can't think of an obvious reason why they couldn't record an HD channel, except that obviously the PocketDish hard drive is much smaller so maybe it would only hold 2-3 hours tops of HD recording even IF it could do such a thing.

Probably not a feature that would be very valuable even if it actually could work I suppose.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...