Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20 Receiver: HDMI vs Component

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrblond128

mrblond128

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:16 AM

I have the H20 receiver and only one HDMI input on my TV. Should I use HDMI input for my D* HD receiver, or is there not any PQ differences when using component cables to hook up to my TV?

TIA

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:22 AM

I could be wrong here, but I thought HDMI was the best PQ, then component and so on

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

WHen done right, you should see virtually no difference between HDMI and component. HDMI is the latest and greatest digital connetion, but it does have a pretty lousy connector that can frequently work itself lose, but its a 1 cable solution, which appeals to many as well. Component requires 3 cables+seperate audio. You need to try it both ways on your equipment to see if you have a preference...

#4 OFFLINE   DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:24 PM

I'll be finding out tomorrow when I get upgraded to the MPEG 4. My RCA 38" tube HDTV does not have HDMI (it's older than that) so it has the component video and the optical digital sound. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

#5 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Component out actually looks a little better than HDMI on my H10 and Sony HDTV. The HDMI looks a bit more blocky, especially on reds. The component output is a bit sharper, especially with film grain.

#6 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:31 AM

That's good to hear. When they come up with technology, it seems that they would try to make the connector as easy as possible, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd much rather connect a component video, RCA, or optical cable, as they just plug in. A coaxial is a pain in the butt because you have to tighten and sometimes it's hard to get your fingers in there; with HDMI it's great that it's only 1 connector, but it looks more delicate. Guess I'll go with component if there's little to no difference. Thanks.

WHen done right, you should see virtually no difference between HDMI and component. HDMI is the latest and greatest digital connetion, but it does have a pretty lousy connector that can frequently work itself lose, but its a 1 cable solution, which appeals to many as well. Component requires 3 cables+seperate audio. You need to try it both ways on your equipment to see if you have a preference...

#7 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:06 AM

I have no idea why it worked this way but I have a Mitsu 73 and when I hooked up my TiVo 250 with component cables and selected 1080i output, I had diagonal red and green stripes. When I used the supplied HDMI to component cable, this went away.

#8 OFFLINE   climo

climo

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

Question about using HDMI. Since its a one cable connection where does the sound output from...the TV:confused: ? My tv supplies regular rca inputs next to my HDMI connection. Wouldn't using the optical output from the source be better than from the TV itself? This is one reason I'm using components and optical. I can pump the sound thru my AV reciever using the optical.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:35 PM

YOu can use HDMI to get the video to the tv, and still route the optical audio output to your av receiver. I still suggest you try both ways ans see if you prefer the PQ you get with component cables vs. HDMI, cos it all depends on implementation

#10 OFFLINE   theandies

theandies

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:13 AM

The other day I experimented with component and HDMI inputs to my Th-42PX50U and I can say that the HDMI was superior on my TV over the component. I also noticed a big difference in sound level using the HDMI. HDMI sound levels were higher to the point when I was switching back a forth between inputs I had to turn up the volume on the component input. If I forgot to turn it back down before switching back to HDMI it would overpower my TV's speakers to the point of distortion.
I prefer the HDMI at this point. The connector is marginal at best but it's not like it is in a high vibration area so I do not see it vibrating loose unless you crank your surround sound and your sub vibrates it loose.

#11 OFFLINE   Randy Mac

Randy Mac

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

FWIW - I'm running a HR10-250 by an HDMI to DVI cable and a H20 by component into a RCA 56W20 and the H20 has a better picture. I think it is the HDMI to DVI cable or the DVI jack on the set that makes the difference. I plan to upgrade to a 50" plasma with (2) two HDMI jacks and use HDMI cables. I also use optical cable for sound to a surround system so the audio is no problem.

#12 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

I cant see a difference between the 2 .I have a Sony KDF-E50 LCD HD tv and I see no change.HDMI saves on having a ton of wires.Thats about it in my opinion.HDMI Way overpriced !!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...