Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Couple quick noobish questions.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robfindlay

robfindlay

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:31 PM

I just got DTV installed for the first time, and I got the DVR version of the reciever the R15 and I have a couple noobish questions.

Is there a way to be just watching a channel and hit a couple buttons on my remote and add it to my favorites list ?

Also I notice this DVR has a couple of USB ports, I'm wondering is their anyway to pull shows that i've recorded off of it?

TIA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   robfindlay

robfindlay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

BTW, where is the FAQ for the R15.

#3 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

Is there a way to be just watching a channel and hit a couple buttons on my remote and add it to my favorites list ?

Nope.

Also I notice this DVR has a couple of USB ports, I'm wondering is their anyway to pull shows that i've recorded off of it?

Nope. At least not yet.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=52000
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#4 OFFLINE   robfindlay

robfindlay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

Okay how do i dertirmine the version of firmware on my R15 and if need be update it?

#5 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

Menu -> Settings -> Info & Test, hit SELECT

You cannot force an update, you can only force it to check for an update. If your unit is scheduled to receive it, then you get it; if not, it will download the same version you already have.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

In the sticky section of the forum, is where I am "slooowwwwwllllyy" rebuilding the FAQ. There is a link in there to the original review I did... which pretty much serves as a FAQ for now
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   robfindlay

robfindlay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:42 PM

when fast forwarding through a recorded program can i jump forward 1 minute or 2 minutes, 10 minutes etc?

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,018 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:04 PM

when fast forwarding through a recorded program can i jump forward 1 minute or 2 minutes, 10 minutes etc?

Not specifically. The best way to do that is to use the 2X fast forward speed, then when you get to the point you want to resume normal speed, hit either the pause button then play, or the skip back button. I use the skip back button, and it compensates for the few seconds it takes my reflexes to hit the button when I see the program resume.

You can also set bookmarks in a recorded program while viewing it, so that during future viewings you can rapidly skip to those locations. But that doesn't work for the first viewing.

Carl

#9 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:22 AM

Not specifically. The best way to do that is to use the 2X fast forward speed, then when you get to the point you want to resume normal speed, hit either the pause button then play, or the skip back button. I use the skip back button, and it compensates for the few seconds it takes my reflexes to hit the button when I see the program resume.

You can also set bookmarks in a recorded program while viewing it, so that during future viewings you can rapidly skip to those locations. But that doesn't work for the first viewing.

Carl

Carl,

I find hitting PAUSE then PAUSE again even easier as you don't have to "find" a different button. I hadn't tried it until a week ago and it works pretty well too.
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300
(Gathering dust in a closet)

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,018 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:32 AM

Just offering options. By the way, I don't hit pause then skip back - I just hit skip back. One button push.

Carl

#11 OFFLINE   robfindlay

robfindlay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:47 AM

K,

Dumb question, can hit I the power button on my reciever and expect it to still record my shows?

I think i remember reading that someplace in the manual that you could turn it off and it would keep recording but theres so much new info I can't remember.

#12 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:58 AM

K,

Dumb question, can hit I the power button on my reciever and expect it to still record my shows?

I think i remember reading that someplace in the manual that you could turn it off and it would keep recording but theres so much new info I can't remember.

Yes, it goes into STANDBY and will record programs. It loses the buffer. And does housekeeping (guide data/todo/etc) faster in standby.
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300

#13 OFFLINE   robfindlay

robfindlay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:15 PM

'nother question:

I set the DVR to record The Countdown with Keith Oberman. It seems to record it all 3 or 4 times the show airs on the same day.

I've tried just hitting the ® button twice in the guice as well as going into the setting for the season record and telling it to record only the first run. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Am I right and the system is going to record the same shows multiple times even when set to record first run only?

p.s. who's working on a way to pull programs off of these DVRs ?

#14 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

'nother question:

I set the DVR to record The Countdown with Keith Oberman. It seems to record it all 3 or 4 times the show airs on the same day.

I've tried just hitting the ® button twice in the guice as well as going into the setting for the season record and telling it to record only the first run. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Am I right and the system is going to record the same shows multiple times even when set to record first run only?

Yes it will record it multiple times even if it is set to record only the first run. That is just one of the bugs of the R15.

#15 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:34 PM

'nother question:

Regarding your P.S., mine go nicely onto standalone DVD.
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300

#16 OFFLINE   robfindlay

robfindlay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

Yes it will record it multiple times even if it is set to record only the first run. That is just one of the bugs of the R15.

A "dirty" work around I've found is to set it to save only one episode, that way i only wind up with one "copy" on the "myvod" list.

I think it might be the way the show is presented. Those 3 showings might be defined as first run, or does the R15 work that way? Or does it just compare the files?

If you think about it if the network doesnt define it as a repeat then it still looks like a first recording.

#17 OFFLINE   robfindlay

robfindlay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:32 PM

Regarding your P.S., mine go nicely onto standalone DVD.

K, how are you doing THAT? I mean i could run an S-video cable out of the reciever into my computers TV-tuner card and capture it that way.....

How does your standalone work?

Rob

Protected By... spam firewall...And...