Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV holding NFL fans hostage!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brownsfaninva

brownsfaninva

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:04 AM

I have been a DirecTV subscriber for well over 7 years - and 3 years ago I went away from DTV for a short spell, but I kept my connection because I wanted to watch NFL Sunday Ticket - which I paid for when the time came - I did not pay any monthly fee. Well, they discovered that this did not allow them to rape customers who do not need/require the Total Choice package and as of 2005 they will not allow anyone to go stand alone NFL Sunday Ticket.

Before anyone says "it makes business sense", think for a moment...there are a vast majority of customers who do not get HD Locals w/ DirecTV. Unless I want to spend MORE $$, climb up my roof, and hang an OTA antenna HD on DirecTV is no value compared to Comcast.

My feeling is this "When I pay this much money for a TV, I should not have to pay for antennas, cable, installation of said antenna or risk life and limb to hang it myself (indoor ones don't work and attic is not an option). I compare buying a Plasma to buying a BMW - your typical BMW owner does not want to have to change his/her oil - when I buy a Plasma TV I don't expect to have to do run my own cables and/or jump through hoops on my remote to go from OTA to DIRECTV and back. Frankly, for lower monthly fees, I am able to get that "plug and play" laziness that I love from Comcast.

Most people are not HD forum addicts like the people who post here on a regular basis (no offense, but face it you are outside the "normal" TV viewer), demographics show most people who buy HDTVs are older with incomes over 75K, they are not the typical forum roamer, nor are they people who want to hang antennas on their roofs...they want HDTV to work like their current TV - plug it in and go. I digress.......

SO ANYWAY - the fact that until local HD comes to Richmond, I have no need for DirecTV except for NFL Sunday Ticket - but if I want to watch my Browns, I need to spend 200+ on the Ticket, plus 42.00/ month on a services that gives me NO VALUE at all.

Too bad DIRECTV is looking at the bottom line instead of the customer again, if local HDs are not available come September I will miss my Browns, but I refuse to give in to what I believe is a complete waste of 42.00/ month...I don't like being held hostage....grrrr this makes me mad
:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:44 AM

Since they don't make money on you unless you sub to a basic programming package, why would they care if you don't get NFLST??

#3 OFFLINE   brownsfaninva

brownsfaninva

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

They don't but when I told the manager I would gladly change back over when you offer local HD in my area (RIchmond, VA is not a backwater town), I would be happy to come back - but until then what do I do....her reply was go to a bar and watch it or pay 42.00 a month if I am unwilling to hang an antenna on my house. She said "after all sir, we are a national provider, not a local provider".

All I want is to be able to watch the NFL - and pay 200.00 + like I have for the past 6 years.... and like I did before when I paid for ONLY the Ticket.

If DTV offers a superior product, why are they afraid to offer NFL Sunday Ticket as a stand alone anymore? Where they losing too many customers?

#4 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

All I want is to be able to watch the NFL - and pay 200.00 + like I have for the past 6 years.... and like I did before when I paid for ONLY the Ticket.

And all I want is to pay a buck-fifty instead of $60.00 to watch the Yankees from an upper-deck seat behind first base. :D

Businesses will charge what they want as long as their customers are willing to pay!
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:47 PM

D* pays a high premium to have exclusive rights to NFLST. I can certainly see why they wouldn't want to sell it stand alone to someone who otherwise will buy cable instead of D* programming - where's the sense in that from a business standpoint?

As an example, why would Sirius radio pay Howard Stern a half-billion dollars to be on their system only, then sell his program stand-alone to XM customers who are willing to pay Sirius for just Stern's program? (One of the reasons I chose XM for my provider when I went to satellite radio - I hate Stern).

Brownsfaninva, I feel your pain, but D* is just doing business in a way that makes sense for them.

#6 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:51 PM

Sounds like you should be asking Comcast why they will not sell you JUST LOCAL HDTV so that you can have DirecTV for all your non-local HD, SD & Sunday Ticket needs.

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#7 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:57 PM

D* pays a high premium to have exclusive rights to NFLST. I can certainly see why they wouldn't want to sell it stand alone to someone who otherwise will buy cable instead of D* programming - where's the sense in that from a business standpoint?

As an example, why would Sirius radio pay Howard Stern a half-billion dollars to be on their system only, then sell his program stand-alone to XM customers who are willing to pay Sirius for just Stern's program? (One of the reasons I chose XM for my provider when I went to satellite radio - I hate Stern).

Brownsfaninva, I feel your pain, but D* is just doing business in a way that makes sense for them.

I agree totally with you here!

As a side note I hate Stern also but just switched from XM to Sirius after 4 years for the simple fact that at this time Sirius has a lifetime subscripton plan for $499.00 and after 4 years with xm and the same radio I have paid way over that.

#8 OFFLINE   luvdtv04

luvdtv04

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

I use an antenna indoors without any problems at 40 miles away from the towers. I also live in VA. Neither life nor limb ever risked. Comcast gets their HD OTA anyway, so if you can get it with an antenna, why bother with them?

#9 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:05 PM

Ok so you are complaing that you have ot subscribe to DirecTV to get the sunday ticket? If you are mad that they have the Sunday Ticket I think you should also then complainto the NFL for accepting the money for this right. Outside of that i'm notsure what you're complaining about, if it's the fact that you have to hang an antennae ya that would be annoying but you can hire someone to do it or you can wait for the locals to sent over the sat.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

I really cant agree with any hostage statements when you are talking about tv programming you WANT to recieve. Hostages dont have a choice, if you want the NFLST, you pay the same as everyone else, if they dont offer the other programming you want, then you have to make your OWN choice....no need to be a drama queen about it...

;)

#11 OFFLINE   ajseagles3

ajseagles3

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

I switched to D* primarily for the Sunday Ticket, after 3 seasons of going to bars to watch the Eagles play. I think that if they don't want to offer it as a stand-alone, then they shouldn't. If it helps their bottom line, then it was a successful choice. If this causes more people to ditch the dish altogether and hurts them, they'll eventually let people do it again.

#12 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

If DTV offers a superior product, why are they afraid to offer NFL Sunday Ticket as a stand alone anymore? Where they losing too many customers?

Because DTV outbid every possible provider to get the exclusive right to show all the NFL games. They HAVE to pass what they paid on to their customers. Dish, Time Warner, Comcast, Cox and others didn't win or, AFAIK, didn't even bid.

On the bright side, I did hear that DirecTV no longer has to black out games that are being shown locally. If the team in your area hasn't sold out their home game, then the blackout still applies.

#13 OFFLINE   SuperJack

SuperJack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:25 AM

I was a DirecTV subscriber for a number of years, but switched to Time Warner about a year and a half ago. I miss NFL Sunday Ticket -- A LOT -- and especially this year since I'm a big Steelers fan, but I refuse to pay $42 / month, plus the rip-off price for ST. Even after the superbowl, I have no plans at this time to switch back to D*. I don't like them for the fact that the NFL package is exclusive to them anyway... soon they'll probably buy the exclusive rights to MLB. I think we should be complaining to the NFL for not opening this package up to other providers -- maybe the NFL is the greedier party.

#14 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:28 AM

I was a DirecTV subscriber for a number of years, but switched to Time Warner about a year and a half ago. I miss NFL Sunday Ticket -- A LOT -- and especially this year since I'm a big Steelers fan, but I refuse to pay $42 / month, plus the rip-off price for ST. Even after the superbowl, I have no plans at this time to switch back to D*. I don't like them for the fact that the NFL package is exclusive to them anyway... soon they'll probably buy the exclusive rights to MLB. I think we should be complaining to the NFL for not opening this package up to other providers -- maybe the NFL is the greedier party.

That's the NFL's cash cow. It's not Direct you should complain to and about, it's the NFL.

#15 OFFLINE   patchs

patchs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

If you're an out-of-market fan, you're stuck. I've had D* since 1995 just because of the NFL ST.
The NFL knows it's the top dog and they will take advantage of that.

#16 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 876 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

Why should D* charge you for the whole NFLST,if you only want Brown's games?

Why charge for the NFLST at all? Why not just add it to basic pak and raise everyone's rates to cover the cost of the NFLST?

#17 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:41 PM

Why should D* charge you for the whole NFLST,if you only want Brown's games?

Because they can. They're the only place in town you can get this. That means if you want it you pay what they tell you. Otherwise, you don't want it very bad.

Why charge for the NFLST at all? Why not just add it to basic pak and raise everyone's rates to cover the cost of the NFLST?

Ok. I'll let that one go.

#18 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

:lol: That's a good one!

If you check out the thread that talks about the rate increase and how PO'd some people are about a couple bucks, imagine all the people that would bail on D* if they raised everyone's rates just to cover Sunday Ticket! WAAAY too many D* subscribers that just aren't that interested in football.

#19 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 876 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:48 AM

Because they can. They're the only place in town you can get this. That means if you want it you pay what they tell you. Otherwise, you don't want it very bad.

Ok. I'll let that one go.

I was only joking.I have had NFLST since 1999.

#20 OFFLINE   brownsfaninva

brownsfaninva

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

Opps, forgot I was on a DTV site, you're right, the fact that I had this once, they offered it before, but not anymore and I find it unfair is wrong.

Silly me :)

spam firewall