Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV holding NFL fans hostage!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:34 PM

Not replying to anyone in particular here, but re: NFL Sunday Ticket...

The NFL is run by smart people. They know the market for their rights fees. They would not do the deal for NFL Sunday Ticket if they didn't think they were getting top dollar.

Similarly, DirecTV knows the market. Economically, NFL Sunday Ticket is probably a loss leader. That explains why you have to have Total Choice to get it.

At the end of the day, capitalism takes over. If DirecTV decides in 2007 that it doesn't want to pay $700 million or whatever, the NFL will take other bids. If it's advantageous of them to offer the product to multiple parties, they'll do it.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Proc

Proc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:39 PM

I have D* only because of the NFLST package.

Plain and simple.

If it weren't for my love of football, I'd be with Comcast or WOW.

D* has the product I want, thus that is where I shop.

If say, Comcast were to have outbid D*, would've they "shared" the package with other cable companies? Could it be that the NFL figured more opportunities for customers lay with D* as opposed to Comcast who isn't in every area of the country?

#43 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

However, InDemand is the "national" arm of the cable companies. InDemand is the company that offers the other sports packages through the cable companies. InDemand is the only entity that could realistically pull of Sunday Ticket, as they'd be able to resell to the cable companies.

I didn't know that. With that I have to ask can InDemand afford $700 million for the rights?

#44 OFFLINE   thumperr

thumperr

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:35 PM

I have to agree with Proc, i have D* because i want NFLST. I was very happy when D* and the NFL agreed to extend the contract. This allowed me to comfortably purchase more D* hardware and extend my contract.

I had a Adelphia cable and it was horrible, the PQ was awful and they were rasing rates with out improving service. and at the time they were in serious financial difficulty. D* offered a competitive advantage and i chose them.

Competition is good, and the NFLST is a competitive advantage for D* over their competitors, why would they not negotiate to keep. D* would know that they would lose a lot of subscribers if they lost NFLST.

I did not notice if anyone mentioned the revenue stream that is generated by commercial licensing. I have no idea how much a bar gets charged for NFLST, but i bet it is more that what i pay for home. this would also lock in full year income for these venues purchasing packages from D*.

#45 OFFLINE   brownsfaninva

brownsfaninva

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:05 AM

C'mon - be a MAN! She shops, you watch football. PERIOD.:lol:

Dude I got a 4 year old, a 19 month old, another due in Sept, and two dogs....I don't really "watch" anything...I glance at it. :)

#46 OFFLINE   NVBlue

NVBlue

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

Dude I got a 4 year old, a 19 month old, another due in Sept, and two dogs....I don't really "watch" anything...I glance at it. :)

Maybe you can afford the family pack coming out in April for $35. http://www.satellite...48&d=1137628657
I know a growing family needs to economize and D* has changed the rules on a la carte programming. I guess that may be your only choice in keeping the NFL ticket. Good luck with the new baby.

#47 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:59 AM

Sounds like you need a DVR. Get the HD DVR. It will handle that seamless integration of OTA HD locals you want, too.

#48 OFFLINE   brownsfaninva

brownsfaninva

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:42 PM

I have had both the R-15 and the TIVO HDVR2, not HD but DVR nonetheless....I am trying out Comcast's DVR right now, it is nice - much better than the R15 in that you can actually USE both tuners, but nothing like my old HDVR2...I hope DirecTV comes out with local channels in Richmond - then I can enjoy my Browns again :)...and I hope the new HDDVR is better than the R15 interface.

#49 OFFLINE   ajseagles3

ajseagles3

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

At least you Browns fans are lucky enough to not have much hope. You could be consistently tortured like I am as an Eagles fan.

#50 OFFLINE   brownsfaninva

brownsfaninva

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:03 PM

At least you Browns fans are lucky enough to not have much hope. You could be consistently tortured like I am as an Eagles fan.

but uhhhh....hmmmmmm....not sure if that is a compliment or an insult....but now that Cleveland holds the record for the longest streak w/out a championship in any sport I will once again lift my hopes up only to be ground into dust...again...

<ahhh yes the days of Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar where have you gone!?!?!>

i digress

#51 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

I have had both the R-15 and the TIVO HDVR2, not HD but DVR nonetheless....I am trying out Comcast's DVR right now, it is nice - much better than the R15 in that you can actually USE both tuners, but nothing like my old HDVR2...I hope DirecTV comes out with local channels in Richmond - then I can enjoy my Browns again :)...and I hope the new HDDVR is better than the R15 interface.

No, the new HDDVR will be exactly the same interface as all the receivers (apparently that particular design requirement took precidence over actual functionality). What you want, assuming you liked the HDVR2, is the old HDDVR.

#52 OFFLINE   brownsfaninva

brownsfaninva

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

What I WANT is to not spend 400-600 dollars on hardware that is not as good as what I can "rent" from a cable company. Say what you want about TIVO, they had it right. It will interesting to keep track of the progress of new MPEG4 DVR for D*....

#53 OFFLINE   kaysersoze

kaysersoze

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:44 AM

Well said, good points by both - just sucks to be hog tied now when I was not before, <sigh>....now I have to figure out a way to tell the wife that need to keep my 50.00 per month active so I can watch my Browns in September.....<HONEY, can we talk...>

You can suspend your svc in the offseason so that you only pay for the base package duringthe season.

#54 OFFLINE   brownsfaninva

brownsfaninva

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:31 AM

You can suspend your svc in the offseason so that you only pay for the base package duringthe season.

I need to make sure I don't have to be on any long term deal - I have an exsiting box so if I can do that I am more than happy to pay an extra 50/ month for it

Protected By... spam firewall...And...