Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Could the remote be part of the problem?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:26 AM

Unlike a lot of you, I have not had the lockups/freeze problems I have seen recently posted. One thing I would like to mention though is the remote. I was using the standard remote and the FF, jumpback, etc functioned as bad as many have posted. 2 days ago I got the Harmony/Logitech 676 remote. Programmed it and last night when I got to sit down and use it on my recorded Olympics immediately noticed the response to the remote was right on. I even went to FF4 and the transition to play was not choppy at all. I know on the original, sometimes it would not even stop. The sound sync was much cleaner.
So now I'm posing to others and would like to hear if anyone else using a non-standard remote is maybe seeing the same response?

Sure would be nice if the "response" problem would be the remote as DTV could replace them easily enough.
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300
(Gathering dust in a closet)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   laxcoach

laxcoach

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:48 AM

I've got no information to back this up but I've had a theory growing about that remote.

When I set it up to work with my television or stereo, the response on those units is terrible. It would be a truly stupid design, but I think that when I click TV on, the remote sends a command to the R15, R15 sends a command to the remote, then the remote sends a command to the TV.

If not, there is no reason for the latency.

That said, I've designed my Pronto TSU3000 to work with the R15, and I don't think the R15 acts any better.

#3 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

You're right about the remote sending a signal to the receiver as far as the VOL keys are concerned. URC the maker of universal remotes like the R5 or R7, when they made up the preset code for the D10 series of receivers they included preprogrammed commands on the vol keys. So when using the universal remote without a punch-through set, you get the banner on the bottom of the screen saying the TV device isn't set, how should the receiver know if a universal is communicating with a TV or not.

On the white remote, in the tv device pressing CH UP or any other key other then VOL gives you one blink of the TV device. Pressing VOL not only does the TV device blink but so does the DTV device.

I have two R15's, in day to day use I only use a universals and never had trouble with the remote response. In fact I use a RF remotes to control the receivers in another room, instance response always.

#4 OFFLINE   DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

Interesting theory.

I NEVER use the remote that came with the R15. I use a Harmony 880, and I have never had a freeze up, a crash, or experienced any slow response, and certianly no problems with the speed or responsiveness of the FFWD/RW/Play.

I've always thought those complaints were strange, since I have experienced none of it. The idea that it could be a remote problem is intriguing.

Let me just clarify: I'm NOT saying I have no problems with the R15. I have all the same missed shows, series links, trying to delete the recording when I hit jump back, etc. All the R15 classics. But just never a lock up, a "no picture, but sound continues", or a slow remote response.

Ricky

#5 OFFLINE   wohlfie

wohlfie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

One thing I would like to mention though is the remote. I was using the standard remote and the FF, jumpback, etc functioned as bad as many have posted. 2 days ago I got the Harmony/Logitech 676 remote. Programmed it and last night when I got to sit down and use it on my recorded Olympics immediately noticed the response to the remote was right on.

But I noticed that as my RC-23 (standard R15 remote) seemed to be losing effectiveness over time, that the blue light on the receiver always blinked immediately (seeming to acknowledge a command from the remote), but the action just didn't necessarily occur or was VERY delayed.

Since a reset restored the 'promptness" to its original, barely tolerable, state - it doesn't seem logical that its the remote. Seems like it has to be the Receiver? Or am I missing something?

#6 OFFLINE   Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

I think these have to be some of the worst remotes I have seen, I have been thinking of getting the Harmony 880 for some time. I now think it's going to happen, I think the layout on the standard remotes is horrid even after using it sonce Nov now I still hit wrong buttons all the time. So to me that says time to get something better suited.

#7 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:09 PM

I'm gonna program my R15 into my 880 and see if I see any difference.

#8 OFFLINE   DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

I'm gonna program my R15 into my 880 and see if I see any difference.

I'll tell you what.... I posted earlier about how I never use my R15 remote, because I use my 880. Well, as I posted in the other thread, I decided to take my R15 out of my living room and put my TiVo back in there. Instead of turning off my R15 completely (as I have another DTiVo sitting around), I decided to just swap it into the bedroom for now. So, having no 880 for the bedroom, I've been using my peanut in there.
HOOKING UP THE R15 AND TRYING TO PROGRAM THE R15 REMOTE WAS ONE OF THE MOST FRUSTRATING ELECTRONICS EXPERIENCES I'VE EVER HAD.

Sorry for yelling. It took several minutes to get my TV programmed in there. It's a Sony Trini, and there's only two codes. From the R15 telling me the batteries were dead (at which point it puts an error screen on the picture that you have to confirm, and ANYTHING YOU TRY TO DO AFTER THAT causes the same thing), and having to deal with that "popup hell" for a few minutes, then changing batteries, I had to scroll for days to get to the Sony codes, which would promptly kick me out from some error with the R15, then a popup would come on telling me my remote was in a device mode other than SAT. (NO SH@T!!!!). Between the popups, the bad menu situation, the dead batteries (sad commentary, considering they've NEVER BEEN USED, and have only been in there for 2 months), it literally took me 10 minutes to program the remote to control my TV. And WHY do I have to put in a separate code to make the remote control my TV input? I have owned DOZENS of universal remotes (my family always rags me for being remote crazy), and NEVER have you had to put in a separate code for THE INPUT BUTTON.
And to turn the R15 and the TV off, I have to hit power and TV off. WHY did they put discreet buttons on here for tv power? Ridiculous.
I have to say, I always thought the fussing about the remote was probably from TiVo fanbrats who just wanted another reason to diss the R15, but I have to say, IT IS CRAP. And the layout is absurd. I'm very disappointed in this remote. I might have to deactivate the R15 afterall so I can go back to having a decent remote in my bedroom (the peanut, which, though I hate the cutesy design and some of the retard-size buttons on, is actually a very decent remote.)

Phew. Sorry for the over-long rant. I guess in short, Wolffpack, you should find your 880 to be FAR superior to the POS R15 remote.

Ricky

#9 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:06 AM

NEVER have you had to put in a separate code for THE INPUT BUTTON.

With my two DirecTiVo's you have to do it that way too. I just went through that this past weekend when I was fooling with my new R-10.

And to turn the R15 and the TV off, I have to hit power and TV off. WHY did they put discreet buttons on here for tv power?

You should be able to just press the TV Off button on the right side, it does turn off both the TV and R-15.

#10 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:50 AM

You should be able to just press the TV Off button on the right side, it does turn off both the TV and R-15.

My TV Off button doesn't turn off the TV either. I have to slide the switch over to TV mode and hit the main power button (twice, the first time it tells me the remote is in TV mode) to turn the TV off.

#11 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:21 AM

I still haven't figured out this one. It works in my bedroom with only a TV and a R15 to turn both off together. But in my living room this doesn't work an I have the tv, r15, stereo and dvd all on the remote and it donesn't turn off the TV and the R15.

#12 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:10 AM

The TV commands will punch through or it will not, there's nothing you can do to change that. It isn't programmable feature. Panasonic tvs is one brand of many that don't.

#13 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

I dont know why it works for some and not others. Another mystery of the R-15.

#14 OFFLINE   DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:22 AM

Oddly enough, that works now that 10a3 is installed (I noticed that it did it this morning). I'm SURE that's not one of the issues the software fixed, but I also know for certain it didn't work like that before. Intermittent problems are the worst kind. :(

Ricky

#15 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:54 AM

The TV commands will punch through or it will not, there's nothing you can do to change that. It isn't programmable feature. Panasonic tvs is one brand of many that don't.

Well that would explain my issue. It's a Panasonic in the living room.

#16 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:14 PM

Oddly enough, that works now that 10a3 is installed (I noticed that it did it this morning). I'm SURE that's not one of the issues the software fixed, but I also know for certain it didn't work like that before. Intermittent problems are the worst kind. :(

Ricky

Sony tv's using code 10000 always have punch-through the TV ON & OFF commands. When programming a remote, once you have the codes, take the remote away from the receiver, perhaps a different room, works everytime.

#17 OFFLINE   ajseagles3

ajseagles3

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

The TV On/Off function is awful with my TV. It usually doesn't work at all on the TV, because my TV requires a more persistant touch of the button. I wish the TV on/off would NOT mess with the R15 also.

spam firewall