Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

trouble recording starz freeview?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dutch

dutch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:27 AM

I couldn't record on any of the Starz channels last night untill I did a reset of my receiver. It did record from the standby mode over night but this morning when I tried to record a starz channel I again had to reset the receiver. Anyone else have this problem? Dtv tech support said that this was not a software issue that they are aware of and want to replace my receiver. If others have this problem then I will be doubtful that another receiver will change anything.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:51 AM

If you don't subscribe to Starz normally, you won't be able to record it. It isn't one of the "Channels I Get".

Wow, having CSR's send replacement dvr's because of this! Ha! D* is really trying to shoot themselves in the foot.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:01 AM

Well it is most definently NOT a hardware issue... and a replacement won't correct it as Carl said.

I was hoping they would have tweaked out the Starz as they did with the RSNs... but I guess they didn't get it done in time. :(
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   dutch

dutch

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:58 AM

If you don't subscribe to Starz normally, you won't be able to record it. It isn't one of the "Channels I Get".

Wow, having CSR's send replacement dvr's because of this! Ha! D* is really trying to shoot themselves in the foot.

Carl

Well I don't subscribe to it (it is a free preview ) but I was able to record it after a reset. DTV did nothing to make the record happen so my take on it is that I should have been able to record but the receiver, software or hardware, failed. I am incline to think it is a software issue and indeed a new receiver wont fix it.
As for getting a new receiver, heck this is my second in 3 weeks! I have a new R10 tivo setting in the box I got for no charge. Didn't even have to return my R15.
I have been lucky in the fact that every CSR I have talked has truely wanted to make me happy. They just don't have the information I am looking for. My question is always the same. Is this a problem you are aware of? Is it being worked on? Do you expect to be able to fix it? To be honest I don't want another R15, R10 or any othe current or past model. I may be interested in whatever the next model is if they can learn from the mistakes of the R15.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:04 AM

What is happening (and why it works after a reset)...

Is in the data stream that comes down, it has included in it... what channels you recieve. The R15 recognizes that, and marks the channels on what you can and can't recieve.

What is happening with the Starz... Your Access Card knows you can get it, thus you can tune the channel in... but when the R15 is done processing all the data for your subscription... it doesn't see any authorization for Starz... thus it turns them off (by default once the system starts, you can see ALL channels as channels you recieve)

It takes about one hour for the unit to process all the data in the stream about channel assignments.

This is a problem they are aware of, as it is the same problem that hs plagued the RSNs... They fixed that, by putting into the stream that you can see all RSNs.

The TiVo doesn't have this issue, as it doesn't do Automatic "channels" I recieve mappings.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:07 AM

I don't have a clue as to what the issue is with the "freeviews" recording, but what i do know is that it can be done by using "manual record", i.e. menu> settings> scheduler> manual and selecting it from there. I also tried to record Starz from within the guide yesterdy but it would not let me do it.

Edit: Thanks for the clarification Earl. I was typing as you were posting

#7 OFFLINE   dutch

dutch

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

Earl, thanks. That is more than the CSR's know. Playing with that I find if you are real quick after a reboot you can get the record to stick to channels you don't get at all. My guess is you will record a blank screen though. I am now convinced that I have a new receiver coming that will not fix a thing.

#8 OFFLINE   wohlfie

wohlfie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:51 PM

I don't have a clue as to what the issue is with the "freeviews" recording, but what i do know is that it can be done by using "manual record"

CONFIRMED!

I just checked a manual record I set for this afternoon (based on previous posts that a normal record wouldn't work :) ) and it recorded just find.

My unit hasn't been reset in a couple days.

Appears that manual record must side-step the "channels i get mapping"

PS - I wish the manual record had an option for stop time rather than just recording length. I set about 5 records for the Freeviw weekend and had to do a whole lot of math (e.g. okay - starting at 1:35 and going to 3:50 - thats, uhm, ahh, how many minutes? - Yes I know I could have just padded it out, but whats the fun in that?:grin: )

#9 OFFLINE   dutch

dutch

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:28 AM

OK, for some reason when I got up this morning I can set the Starz channels to record from the menu. No reset and it did not work yesterday afternoon. I wonder if DTV changed something or if its just another R-15 thing?

#10 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:31 AM

This may be a prove that they read our forum ;)

#11 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:33 PM

OK, for some reason when I got up this morning I can set the Starz channels to record from the menu. No reset and it did not work yesterday afternoon. I wonder if DTV changed something or if its just another R-15 thing?

dutch, you are correct. ;) .......i did the same thing this a.m., after having to set all Starz recordings using the "manual" method yesterday......today it's working as it should. Interesting as to how this happened all of a sudden. :confused:

#12 OFFLINE   dutch

dutch

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

Well I have been a BIG cry baby to DTV lately and talked extensively to a guy in the retention department yesterday afternoon explaining that tech wants to replace my receiver and that I REALY think this is a programming or software issue. I told him if he could go far enough up the line he should find someone to confirm this even if tech did not have a bulletin on it. Maybe that along with other calls, I am sure there were other calls, brought it to someone’s attention. I am convinced that something changed from yesterday.

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

Better late then never...

The Starz Channels are in the Channel's I Recieve list now...

So at least for today... the last day of the free-view you should be able to record anything.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...