Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D**izzy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

HI Gang
Trying to nail down the Buy Vs lease thing , so here's some info and questions that remain >> Current DTV subr with single LNB >D10 & Samsung 4080DVR

Looking to get HD in the future [my Plazma won't be avail till Mid year}but like the idea of being ahead of the game>> I also don't have OTA HD avail in my area so I can get the HD locals thru Dtv as I have TC plus

I can get the "change out offer" thru DTV for the H20 and 5LNB for $200 +$99 + $14.95>> But to get the $200 rebate they say you have to Subscribe to HD
or [they were adament on this]

I can get the "change out" on just the dish for $99 with install and buy the H20 locally
I was told as long as I "activate the H20" I would get the rebate, also allowing me to have Local HD without 1-2 year subcr

So my questions are
Does the H20 pass SD , ok?
Wait on the ODU upgrade and lease it [not sure if they have a monthly fee or warranty it]?

Do the HR10 and future HR20 record both SD and HD programing?
TIA> Rickster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:54 AM

HI Gang
Trying to nail down the Buy Vs lease thing , so here's some info and questions that remain >> Current DTV subr with single LNB >D10 & Samsung 4080DVR

Looking to get HD in the future [my Plazma won't be avail till Mid year}but like the idea of being ahead of the game>> I also don't have OTA HD avail in my area so I can get the HD locals thru Dtv as I have TC plus

I can get the "change out offer" thru DTV for the H20 and 5LNB for $200 +$99 + $14.95>> But to get the $200 rebate they say you have to Subscribe to HD
or [they were adament on this]

I can get the "change out" on just the dish for $99 with install and buy the H20 locally
I was told as long as I "activate the H20" I would get the rebate, also allowing me to have Local HD without 1-2 year subcr

So my questions are
Does the H20 pass SD , ok?
Wait on the ODU upgrade and lease it [not sure if they have a monthly fee or warranty it]?

Do the HR10 and future HR20 record both SD and HD programing?
TIA> Rickster

Rickster,

Welcome to DBSTalk!

I would be very leary of any mention of upgrading service from Non-HD to HD where they tell you you would not be subject to a two year commitment. I just don't think that happens - that's been one of the points that they've been steadfast on - upgrade to "Advanced Technology" products, commit to two years of programming.

I do not have the H20 so am not intimate with the details of the rebate, but I think that you would at least initially have to subscribe to HD service when activating to be eligible for the rebate? Someone here will correct me that if it's wrong, and I apologize if it is.

The HR10 does record SD as well as HD content, as will the HR20. The H20 should receive both SD and HD content too.

Any of the equipment that D* provides under their lease deal should, in a sense, be warranteed as they will be responsible for the equipment functioning properly. There is a monthly "lease/mirroring" fee that applies to all receivers beyond the "first" one.

#3 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:10 PM

J............
thanks for the welcome>> great site btw:D

That's my quandry, I don't want HD service now, just the box [if rebateable]

A email reply from thier CSR, said "as long as you activate within 30 days"
you are intitled to the rebate [they didn't say commit to 2 year]:eek2:

another question for the Sat..... gods
My Samsung DVR has been flawless except for 2 quirks
No caller ID and a agravating BOINK sound for every page turn

I wanted to try the H15? dvr, but it says the old access card would no longer be valid
Does that mean Permanently or could I reactivate it if I don't like the 15

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:36 PM

The rebate form clearly shows the two year commitment all over it....It also states you HAVE to subscribe to the HD pack. Technically, they give it to you free for 3 months, so keep it until you get your rebate then drop it....If your Samsung is a Tivo based unit, all you should need to do is go in and turn down or turn off the sound effects...

#5 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

Thanks CC
A little slap up side the head never hurts:confused:
I don't know how many times I looked at the setup menu for sound options
It was there just had to curser over one more to the right to see options

So if I forgo the rebate, and not subcr to HD would I still be able to activate the H20and use it as a SD reciever?

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

If you don't want the rebate don't send in the form, but if you upgrade to either a DVR or a HDTV receiver it requires a 2 year contract. Those are the facts. After March 1st the rebate drops to $100 on both the DVR and HDTV so make up your mind in the next week. If you subscribe to the $9.99 HD pak you can still watch the programming on a SD TV you just won't be seeing it in HDTV.

#7 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:57 AM

Well I guess the HD locals are not "really free" with the agreement on total choice plus pkg, unless you subscribe to a 2 year HD pkg?

I'll play dumb here, as I thought you could "activate" a HD reciever [as the dtv csr told me]
but Dtv would control by the phone line what you could recieve, as is what happens with a cable box??

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:11 AM

HD Locals are part of the locals package, not the HD package...so yes they are part of the $3 local fee built-in to the TC and above packages....IF you dont subscribe at least for a few months to the HD pack, you are eligible for a rebate, but its only $100 vs, the full $200 for TC and HD pack subscription....

#9 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:17 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but I need to be clear

What you all said was I CAN"T just activate an H20 without subsc to 2 year commitment @ $9.95 x24

I could subcr, get the 3 month free, get the $200 rebate, but still would be paying the monthly the bal of the commitment

So inturn if I just can''t "activate" the H20, I wouldn't get the Local HD's for free

#10 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

Rickster,

Here's the link to the rebate offer on D*'s web site.

http://www.directv.c...ebate_cust.html

To receive the rebate, you need to activate and subscribe to the HD package. As CCarncross noted, you could probably drop the HD pack once you get your rebate.

The two-year commitment they are talking about is not the HD pack, but a two-year commitment to receive at least Total Choice programming (minimum of 41.99 I think it is).

If you are already a D* subscriber subscribing to some Total Choice (or better) package, you would just be extending your current commitment (if any) to a date two years from activation of your H20. You mention in your original post that you are a D* subscriber with a D10 receiver. The programming commitment on a D10 is one year. You would most likely be extending your commitment now for over a year+ beyond your current one.

So, get the receiver, activate it adding the HD package, file for and get your rebate, cancel the HD pack while it's still free (first 3 months and AFTER you get your rebate) then your only monthly financial increase at that point would be the $4.99 additional receiver fee. Then once you get your new HD set, add back the HD pack.

Assuming you ARE already subscribing to TC or better, you would just need to keep that going until February 2008.

Your H20 should still then function as an SD and HD OTA receiver (essentially getting your locals OTA for free).

I apologize if any of that information is wrong, but someone will correct me soon if it is. I really think that's how it is, though. I hope that helps!

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

Picard seems to have gotten it all right there....

Buy an H20, activate and add HD package, send in for $200 rebate, you must keep at minimum TC programing for 24 consecutive months, truthfull, you could drop the HD package anytime after you get your rebate. If you dont add the HD package at time of activation, you are only eligible for $100 rebate, not the full $200.....

Noone can buy an H20, just plug it in and get OTA locals with it, it will not work for OTA without being activated within 30 days of purchase on your D* account.....so noone can get a free ATSC tuner out of the deal, its been tried, aint gonna happen....

#12 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:48 PM

Thanks Guy's
I don't have OTA HD available in my area, so I was trying to squeek by with the H20 and the Dtv HD locals since I do have the tot choice PLUS pkg [if thats what your refering to]

I spoke to 2 differnt CSR's today and they both said I have to commit to 2 year HD if I activate the H20
So it may be in the cards to wait

They also said, under the new lease, the recievers are covered by them but the Dish-multi/switches-cabeling are not covered under the lease so they added 5.99mo for ser/contract

I would hope this will be an option, but they had it worked into the quote

thanks for your help

#13 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:38 PM

The CSR was incorrect, for now. As it stands right now, you can activate the H20 and HD service, mail in your rebate, and then disconnect the HD package after you receieve your rebate, and not be penalized. The 2 year commitment is to keep D* service active on any level of Total Choice programming for the next 2 years. So that would include the TC Plus package you are on right now.

In regards to the lease option, that is correct that the receivers are the only thing covered, for the remote, dish-, multi-switch, and cabling, you would sign up for the protection plan. Since the receivers are covered under the lease option, and not under the protection plan, it is only $5.99 no matter what type of receiver you have.

#14 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:06 PM

I'm not yet in an MPEG4 DMA, so this question is being asked to benefit Rickster, but also because I'm ignorant.

If you ARE in an MPEG4 "up and running" DMA, and you include your locals in your subscrption pakcage (TC Plus or whatever) and do NOT subscribe to the HD package, do you still receive the MPEG4 locals if you have an H20 receiver? Or do you only get those MPEG4 locals if you subscribe to the HD package?

Rickster, I didn't read back through this thread to see if you mentioned if you were in an MPEG4 enable DMA. If you are, the answer to this question may be of interest in terms of getting HD locals since you don't have HD available OTA.

Thanks for any help, folks!

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

HD Locals in an MPEG4 DMA are part of the locals package and not the HD package AFAIK......

#16 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:37 AM

Jluc..
not sure myself,
I was told that the signal is being sent [as part of the TC plus]
didn't think any mpeg 4 was avail yet?

thats why my requestioning was based on
"if I didn't get the HD premium pkg, that I still would get the HD locals"

#17 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:06 AM

Correct. You do not need to subscribe to the HD pack to receive the locals in HD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...