Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to Camouflage Sat. Antenna?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   juka2

juka2

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:24 PM

The only clear view I have in my heavily wooded lot is on lot line. I would like to minimize the impact of the antenna on my neighbor. Any ideas on how to best camouflage an antenna? Is paint the only option? If so what paint? Would netting work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

The only clear view I have in my heavily wooded lot is on lot line. I would like to minimize the impact of the antenna on my neighbor. Any ideas on how to best camouflage an antenna? Is paint the only option? If so what paint? Would netting work?

There is the plastic rock <http://www.dish-rock...m/newrock.htm>.

#3 OFFLINE   juka2

juka2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:20 AM

Thnaks for the rock link. I know it says "love thy neighbor" but $300 for a plastic rock seems steep. Also thinking of using a 30-36" dish and the plastic rocks only cover the standard dishes. Any other ideas?

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:23 AM

OK, so I'm picturing a wooded-type lot with a pole on the lot line with a dish on it. Is it any better to see a huge "rock" on a pole than it is to just see a dish?

How wooded is your neighbor's lot? Is it something that the dish will really be seen anyway?

I've also wondered about paint just to make the dish look nicer, but I would guess that most types of paint would just diminish the signal.

#5 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

If dish is ground mount why not put small bush, hedge, etc between you and neighbor? In PA your look angle is 30 degrees minimum and 3ft dish can hide with 3ft high bush only 6ft in front.
Claus

#6 OFFLINE   juka2

juka2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the help. Here are more details. The neighbors lot is not wooded in one area where I can get a good view to the birds. The dish will be on a short pole withthe dish just off the ground. Only abbut 30 feet from the neighbor's patio. The land drops off sharply just past the dish so it would take a pretty big bush to hide it and that may be the best idea. Any thoughts about paint or netting?

#7 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:30 PM

Dish can be painted to be less noticeable but may degrade signal a little bit. Do not paint plastic feed cover! This is worst place to paint! Maybe buy a plastic dish cover and paint it? This way if paint caused a problem you can take off cover. Army surplus cammo net may work. Just look at signal meter before you try something and check again after paint or net.
Claus

#8 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

The best stuff to paint the dish with is a plastic paint like Krylon "Fusion" brand paint, which can be had at less than $4 a spray can. Mine is painted white to closely match the siding on my house. I used the satin finish. It is also availble ib forest green and various camouflage colors.

I just pasted a couple of 2" circles that I cut from some paper address labels and put them over the top of the lnb entry cover.

Attached is a photo of my dish.

Attached Thumbnails

• DISH.JPG

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

Nice and clean install. BTW, it looks like your mast isnt exactly plumb....unless it is and nothing else in the photo is....

;)

#10 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:19 PM

Thanks,

The mast is plumb. Photos often distort everything due to camera lens curvature.

#11 OFFLINE   jtoxxx

jtoxxx

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

I have tried several different paint colors and unless you have it against a white background black is the least visible. You might think that a green against grass or a wooded area would be best but black, like shadows, just seems to fade away. I could not measure any signal decrease, the dishs are already painted to start with. I have a virtual antenna farm and it is hardly noticable in my veritable jungle location. Dishes from 12 feet down to 18 inches.

#12 OFFLINE   NVBlue

NVBlue

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

Try an army camouflage net. In winter I cover it with a garbage bag to prevent snow build up and reception is the same with or without. So an army camouflage net should work.

#13 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

The best stuff to paint the dish with is a plastic paint like Krylon "Fusion" brand paint, which can be had at less than $4 a spray can. Mine is painted white to closely match the siding on my house. I used the satin finish. It is also availble ib forest green and various camouflage colors=.

Nice install. Shoot, the bloody electric meter is uglier than the dish!

:lol:

spam firewall