Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Antennas Direct/Lacrosse review

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

Granted, the LaCrosse is pricey -- $149 for the amplified version, but it is compact and unobtrusive. Those CM antennas are much larger. Also, by the time you buy mount, mast, coax and possibly amplifier, you are up in the same price range.
My LaCrosse is mounted on the back wall of my attached garage, above the service door. I chose the amplified version because I split off after the amp to several TV receivers & TiVos. Reception is excellent from stations 30 + miles away (see my earlier post for signal strength meter readings).
I'm not necessarily a LaCrosse fan -- it just happened to fit my needs after reading Jeff McClellan's review. The J-mount included with the antenna solved a potential problem in antenna location. A conventional bowtie would have had to be roof mounted, which was out of the question for me.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   nicedeboy26

nicedeboy26

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

Are there any antennas that can pickup reception over 60 miles?

#43 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

If I were trying to pick up a digital UHF signal 60 miles away I'd use the CM4221 or 4228 and a low noise pre-amp like the CM7777. Mount it high and in the clear. 60 miles is a long way but it is do able. I used to regularly watch an ABC station out of Harrisburg, PA that was about 60 miles away (ch 27) with a good antenna and 3.5 dB NF pre-amp. The analog reception was very good and I do think a good digital tuner would receive it OK.

But looking at tvfool.com, I can't figure out what you're trying to receive. Phila and Baltimore are more like 90 miles away. That's going to be very difficult (although others have succeeded).

#44 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

A few months ago, my Lacrosse amplified antenna stopped working. Last week, in reviewing the Antennas Direct site, I discovered I'd had a lifetime warranty on the antenna. I called Antennas Direct, and told them of my plight. The lady at the other end asked if I had the amplified model, and I replied that I did. She then told me that model, which had an internal amplifier, had been discontinued and replaced by one with an external amplifier (hurray!). She apologized for my having a problem, then asked for my full name and address, saying they would send a replacement (new model) antenna to me right away. I asked what I should do with the old antenna, and she told me to discard it, and again apologized for my inconvenience. I later received a confirmation email. No charge, even for shipping. Great customer service!

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#45 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:09 AM

My second LaCrosse antenna has failed for some unknown reason. I went through the process of verifying all possible failures - coax run, lightning arrester, preamp -- all to no avail. I called Antennas Direct customer service this morning, and they are replacing my LaCrosse (no longer in production) with one of their ClearStream2 antennas and a CPA-19 amplifier, all at no charge. They really mean it when they say they have a lifetime warranty on their antennas. Great outfit to do business with.
www.antennasdirect.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...