Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

942 vs. 622

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dturturro

dturturro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:43 AM

Dish has already said that the 942 cannot be activated on any new account, and can't be activated as the only HD receiver on an existing account.

Mike, where did you see this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:46 AM

I didn't notice it listed on the available A/V outputs for TV2. I only saw 1 set of RCA outputs listed. Does this mean I will no longer be able to pipe the TV2 singal through my house on the existing single line RG6.

I hope I don't have to add 2 more coax lines to every room to run a 3 wire input to all my TVs.

Also does the new TV1 S-Video work at 480i when you switch the TV1 format to 720p or 1080i? If not will it shut off when you do this or carry a Hi-def format (which no TV will be able to decode on S-Video).

In theory S-Video is not compatible with anything other than 480i.

Yes there is a coax output available for TV2, it's listed as home distribution or something similar...

#23 OFFLINE   RaceRoc

RaceRoc

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:58 PM

I've seen all the deals offered for the leased 622.

Can it be purchased? If so, for how much?

sker6

All receivers are now available for purchase or lease.

Vip622 DVR
MSRP: $699

#24 OFFLINE   dturturro

dturturro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:53 PM

Just for clarification the 942 can still be activated, just not as an HD box. I would hope that the OTA tuner would still work for local HD.

#25 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:59 PM

Dish has already said that the 942 cannot be activated on any new account, and can't be activated as the only HD receiver on an existing account.

Many keep saying, "Dish has said," yet I have not seen anyone, anywhere, who can provide substance this is, in fact, being a current Echostar/Dish policy.

If someone can provide some form of confirmation of such policy, I'm certain many would be interested.

Personally, I believe this statement is false, and its conjecture is derived from the fact that Dish, as of 2/1/06, will no longer activate the old Dish HD package.
Current HD programing, as of 2/1/06, is comprised of the Medal packages, which Dish will not provide to a MPEG2 receiver.
I believe Dish will activate a 921/942, be it on a "new account," or the "only HD receiver on an existing account," however, the only programing available after 2/1/06 for a MPEG2 receiver would be any/all of Dish SD channels, and SD locals.
A activated 921/942, after 2/1/06, with a SD local subscription would also provide OTA of DT, in both SD & HD, with EPG support for both SAT SD and OTA DT.

Perhaps someone could find out just what the current/correct policy is, besides "Dish has already said."
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#26 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:23 PM

Many keep saying, "Dish has said," yet I have not seen anyone, anywhere, who can provide substance this is, in fact, being a current Echostar/Dish policy.

If someone can provide some form of confirmation of such policy, I'm certain many would be interested.

Personally, I believe this statement is false, and its conjecture is derived from the fact that Dish, as of 2/1/06, will no longer activate the old Dish HD package.
Current HD programing, as of 2/1/06, is comprised of the Medal packages, which Dish will not provide to a MPEG2 receiver.
I believe Dish will activate a 921/942, be it on a "new account," or the "only HD receiver on an existing account," however, the only programing available after 2/1/06 for a MPEG2 receiver would be any/all of Dish SD channels, and SD locals.
A activated 921/942, after 2/1/06, with a SD local subscription would also provide OTA of DT, in both SD & HD, with EPG support for both SAT SD and OTA DT.

Perhaps someone could find out just what the current/correct policy is, besides "Dish has already said."

My understanding matches yours. The point being the 942 is a HD DVR and Dish will not activate it for HD on a new subscription. That is where the misunderstanding likely occurs. Since it's no good for Dish HD, it makes for a very expensive SD DVR(or OTA receiver).

The bottom line is: Since it's not usefull for Dish HD programming, it's value is greatly diminished(but not zero).

#27 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:29 PM

Just off the phone with dish tech support. They say;

Today someone who just acquired a 942 can connect it to a package but if they want to activate the HD they'll have to pay the $20+ for the current mpeg 4 HD package to receive the now old 5- mpeg2 channels plus some other fee for the locals? That's todays info anyway and will most likely change to what Larry says shortly. I think he's telling us what coming down the pipe.

Fun Fact:
"MPEG-4 is the result of another international effort involving hundreds of researchers and engineers from all over the world. MPEG-4, with formal as its ISO/IEC designation 'ISO/IEC 14496', was finalized in October 1998 and became an International Standard in the first months of 1999."

#28 OFFLINE   brettbolt

brettbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. That explains why 942s are still getting about $400 on eBay. My 622 is on order (upgrading from a 501). But if I had a 942 I'd sell it ASAP on eBay before the price drops. Why wait for the minimal $200 dish rebate deal on April 1?

#29 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

If the receiver becomes SD only it's still much nicer then my old DVR510 and worth a couple hundred $ to someone??? but not the $600+ I/we just recently paid for them. No new programing to a new Dish user makes it worth even less and only of use to original owners and the vicious circle continues as I want the current available programing plus the future channels just as I did when I bought and had for a whole 2 months with the 942.

Dish corporate has told Me to wait as there is talk of help to those of us that purchased them in the last 3 months using Feb 1 as a start date. I don't want to wait because personal circumstances dictate that my old bones are to stay on this couch for the next 5 weeks. It would be nice if they could figure it out sooner rather then making us wait because of the old supply and demand delima (excuse). This surprises me with Dish as they have been in years gone by very good to old loyal customers. Not this time so ????

#30 OFFLINE   brettbolt

brettbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

... This surprises me with Dish as they have been in years gone by very good to old loyal customers. Not this time so ????

I've noticed this trend too. Loyalty doesn't seem to matter for 942 owners -- the $200 rebate is not enough in my opinion.

Also, back in the 90's I'd call Dish and get someone very helpful with clear English. Today I called with a question about my 622 install and got a guy who's accent I could barely understand (from India?). I gave up trying to communicate with him.

#31 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

I must admit it's very nice when you call in and get a pleasent rep as I did today. I've spoken to corporate twice on this issue in the past couple of weeks and it was hit and miss there also, one very pleasent and one not-so!!!!!! Remember if you don't mind waiting you can always hang up and call untill you get someone that sounds like you want to speak to.

No this just plainly isn't right, re: 942

#32 OFFLINE   navychop

navychop

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

Well, it's a good deal for those without HD today. It's a good deal for those leasing a 942/921. It's not so good for recent purchasers. Maybe not so bad for folks that had 921s or 942s from early on. Although those that have had ANY 921 I would think should qualify for some special deal. Real Special.

#33 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:56 PM

Isn't the 921 the 942's predecessor?
When I bought my 942 on 11/25/05 I was told it was the top receiver.
I'm thinking it cost more then the 921 but I'm guessing they were selling
the 921's right up until the end with the 942's ??
I paid $600+ three months ago for my 942.
Programing was locked to 5 channels 2/5/06 for mpeg2 receivers.
They'll buy them back and give a leased 622 for $100 in April? That's only
$700+ of the total costs for a leased receiver and we have to wait. Arggg!!
A new customer can get a new 622 installed within 2 weeks from today for $300.
That's the best they will do for us as well. Where's the loyalty to the base customers. 7+ yrs w/dish

#34 OFFLINE   brettbolt

brettbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

Let's just hope that something like "MPEG 5" doesn't come along soon!

And I guess the lesson to be learned from all this is to always lease (not buy) a Dish receiver!

#35 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:22 AM

That will probably be mpeg 7.

I think that will be the trend in the future but the long time Dish user until just recently didn't have the option to lease. Personally I was tired of waiting to have an hd/dvr especially since I bought a new Sony xbr and sound system for Christmas.

spam firewall