Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Testing coaxial cable run

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   juka2

juka2

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

I ran about 150 feet of plastic conduit and 4 cables about 3 years ago for a dish installation that my wife ultimately nixxed (no comments please). Well the wife is gone and I also want to cut the cord to my cable company.

My question: I looked at the end of the conduit and it is full of water (yes I should have plugged it and my wife along time ago). I can blow the water out, but how do I test the integrtiy of the cable runs before I seal the pipe? It was high quality oudoor cable but for all I know it has been underwater for 3 years!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLF1233

JLF1233

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:03 PM

First, don’t seal the ends of the conduit. Leave them open so they can “breath”. Bring the ends above ground level in the form of an inverted J and leave them open. This will let any condensation evaporate before it damages the coax. If you want to keep critters out, stuff some steal wool in the ends. This will keep them open while blocking any insects.
The only test I can think of for the coax would be with a volt/ohm meter to test for any damaged insulation.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:04 AM

Without some fairly expensive equipment, about the only testing you could do would be continuity checks. Make sure shield and center conductor have end to end continuity, and make sure they are not shorted.

Other than that, the best test is to just go ahead and use it. If it doesn't work you can always pull new coax. That's the beauty of conduit.

Carl

spam firewall