Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need help!May switch to D*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BAMAJAS

BAMAJAS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

This is my first post here and I currently have E*. I have read a lot of threads but I am more confused than ever. My wife wants a dvr but I didn't want to pay $200 for one so I thought about taking advantage of switching to D*. I then found out about the new lease options coming up in March. Should I go ahead and get D* now or would it be better to wait for the leasing option? I don't know which will better. Also, I have heard the PQ is not as good on the D* receivers. Just a mythe or is this true? Sorry for so many questions but the people you talk to on the phone are of no help. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:01 AM

For the most part, and for the average or typical customer, the overall cost under the lease program should be just about identical to the overall cost right now. The only difference is when it's all over and done with, D* will own the equipment rather than the end customer.

You do not indicate if you use standard definition or high definition tv. That makes a considerable difference in what answers are provided to your question. Different equipment and different cost to the user.

As for PQ, much is subjective, and also it depends to some extent on your tv. If you have a standard CRT type tv up to about 35" or so, overall I think you will find the PQ to be very good. Some people with larger screens have complained that digital artifacts are more noticeable, and that may be especially so if you don't adjust the tv properly to the signal input.

Also, over the past year or so, DirecTV has added more channels which has resulted in needing greater signal compression. They have made several adjustments to compensate for this, but the end result is that sometimes you will notice artificats, blocks, or what some people call "pixelization", especially in scenes with a lot of action in them. To be honest, I very rarely notice that type of behavior, however I have read complaints from people who say they have it more frequently.

As for a DVR, if you are talking about standard definition what you will get is the R15, which was just introduced and is suffering some issues that are expected to be corrected, but may be an issue, depending in part on how much you end up recording. I have 2 R15's, and for the most part they work well, but I have had a few recording problems, which can be frustrating.

If you are talking high def, then there is a whole different discussion about current versus future technology, a current DVR and a new product that is due out sometime this year, etc. The current hi-def DVR is the HR10-250. The new one is discussed as the HR20-250, but I don't know if that is what it will actually be called when it is released. You can do some searches in these forums for those, as well as for the R15, to get more information on the DVR's.

Something else to consider, and I don't know if it will work or not, is to talk to someone in the retention department of E* and tell them you are going to switch to D* unless they can match the offer. They might do it, only way to find out is try.

The forums I read generally do not give the E* dvr's a very high consideration, so you want to do a little research in that area also.

Carl
Carl

#3 OFFLINE   BAMAJAS

BAMAJAS

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am talking about standard def.

#4 OFFLINE   rhiggs

rhiggs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:47 PM

I am also thinking about changing from from E* to D*. Does Direct have a dual tuner receiver? If so, does it use a "separator" like E* or do you have to have two cable runs to it?

#5 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

This is my first post here and I currently have E*. I have read a lot of threads but I am more confused than ever. My wife wants a dvr but I didn't want to pay $200 for one so I thought about taking advantage of switching to D*. I then found out about the new lease options coming up in March. Should I go ahead and get D* now or would it be better to wait for the leasing option? I don't know which will better. Also, I have heard the PQ is not as good on the D* receivers. Just a mythe or is this true? Sorry for so many questions but the people you talk to on the phone are of no help. Thanks.

You can get an SD DVR for free after rebate. Sounds like when the lease stuff takes effect it will pretty much cost the same.

As far as PQ, I've heard both sides. My Dad has E* for a year and switched to D*. I really didn't see any difference in PQ. HD may be a different story.

#6 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:22 PM

I am also thinking about changing from from E* to D*. Does Direct have a dual tuner receiver? If so, does it use a "separator" like E* or do you have to have two cable runs to it?

I do not believe DTV has any dual receiver tuners. I know they don't have dual output like E*. DVRs are dual tuner but require 2 cable feeds.

#7 OFFLINE   rhiggs

rhiggs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the info Wolffpack :D

spam firewall