Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA w/HR10-250 at zero strength?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluefan

bluefan

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

I just (finally!) upgraded my system to the HR10-250, and am simply amazed at the quality of the satellite-fed HD stations (yeah! It helps convince the SO that the expense was all worthwhile!)

The installer also put up what looks like a DB2, multi-directional antenna, to pick up OTA signals, and put in something that merges the signal with one of the satellite feeds, and breaks it out again at my HR10-250.

I live about 25 miles from Sacramento, so I should be well in range of picking up at least *some* sort of signal. And yet, when I go to the appropriate screens to test my signal, ALL the frequency bands are 0. Not 10, or 50, or something that might result in simply not having a strong enough signal...but zero.

Now, the installer said at the time that they couldn't guarantee an OTA signal. Fair enough, since it's in the airwaves. However, I'm concerned that something didn't get hooked up correctly, as I would expect to pick up some sort of signal.

So, I ask all of you, before I call up the installer to 'fix' my installation...would you think all 0's, across the board, would be indicative of a messed-up installation (perhaps a loose connection along the line?), or is it possible that this antenna is simply not picking up one smidgen of digital signal?

Any and all inputs are welcome!

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:16 AM

No picture will come in on a digital channel where the signal is too weak, but looking at the signal strength indicators, if you have it tuned to look at a digital channel that's close enough, you should get SOME measure of strength if all is right and the signal is there.

To make sure you're close enough, and have the antenna pointed in the right direction, go to www.antennaweb.org and put in your address. It will tell you what digital channels (mostly) are available and where on the map their positions are from you.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:30 AM

Hi bluefan and welcome to the forum! :welcome_s

Capmeister is right. Be sure to check out antennaweb.org. Also you might have two other problems.

Multi-directional antennas don't work great if you are far from the antenna farm (in this case, Walnut Grove I believe). Also, it sounds like the installer used diplexers to merge the signal with the satellite feed. That also can degrade the signal.

First, try removing the diplexors and run a stand alone cable from the antenna to the HR10-250. If that doesn't work, pick up a good directional antenna from a local electronics store, point it toward Walnut Grove and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

#4 OFFLINE   bluefan

bluefan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the responses, and confirming my doubts. Yes, the installer used diplexers, and I concede the other points regarding degraded signal strength. However, I would not expect that this would result in absolutely *no* signals across the OTA HD bands (2-69) when testing with my HR10-250.

Sounds like I need to ask the installer to come back out and fiddle with the OTA antenna. As it's attached to a chimney on the middle of my roof, I'm reluctant to get up their and walk on the concrete tiles...

Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:48 AM

Did the installer run both satellite cables into the HR10-250? With only one satellite connection, there is a problem that the system won't display the OTA signal strengths.

Also, I agree with Chris. Remove the diplexors and run a seperate cable for the Antenna.

#6 OFFLINE   mexican-bum

mexican-bum

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

Try this

1.Go to messages and setup
2. System information
3. Page down once

Makes sure here that ATSC 1 and 2 say enabled, if they say disabled then thats why you have 0% signal on all freq.

To enable repeat guided setup and chose sat and off air antenna, also make sure zip code is correct

spam firewall