Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newbie Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Skybluewater

Skybluewater

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

I am currently a cable user and am considering switching to D*. Currently the cable signal comes into the house and goes into a power switch that sends the signal to eight different outlets in the house. With D* will the signal from the satelitte be directed to the powered switch and be sent to the eight outlets around the the house?

I am interested in being able to run 3 tvs from the satellite -- one tv in the family room, another in the master bedroom and a third tv that I could move between the guest bedroom and back porch. For the time being I am not interested in DVR or HD.

Thanks for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

Nope, you cant split the signal like you can with cable. Think of it more like having digital cable at each tv, you have to have the box at each tv if you want to watch different channels on each tv....and you have to have a seperate cable feed from the dish output(s) to each location as well, you cant use splitters...they are called multi-switches if you need more outputs than you have on your dish...

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:44 AM

It sounds like all of your rooms are wired back to where that power switch is located, i.e., a separate cable from there to each of the rooms.

If that is the case, then when you have a dish installed, run 4 cables from the dish to that central location. At that point, you can cross connect the dish lines to the lines that go to the rooms you need a signal in. Or you can install a multiswitch and make all 8 of the lines work.

Then you simply install the DirecTV receiver at the various locations you want one.

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   Skybluewater

Skybluewater

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:23 PM

Ok I run four cables from dish to network box hook them up to multiswitch then connect the eight video line of the multiswitch then i can move receiver to whichever locations I want to use. Correct? I guess i would need a 4*8 multiswitch to make this work.

It sounds like all of your rooms are wired back to where that power switch is located, i.e., a separate cable from there to each of the rooms.

If that is the case, then when you have a dish installed, run 4 cables from the dish to that central location. At that point, you can cross connect the dish lines to the lines that go to the rooms you need a signal in. Or you can install a multiswitch and make all 8 of the lines work.

Then you simply install the DirecTV receiver at the various locations you want one.

Carl

spam firewall