Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If I get fed up with the R15 enough...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ajseagles3

ajseagles3

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

...I'll be looking to purchase an older and very solid D* receiver with TiVo. What's the model out there that has the best track record?

My favorite features are a series link that actually only records new episodes, at least 50 hours worth of recording time, stability with the guide.

Any suggestions, should I get to the breaking point?

P.S. I have two feeds from the sat, so one that is capable of recording 2 shows at the same time or recording 1 and watching another is absolutely vital.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,169 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

The next-previous DVR that D* had was the R10 which is Tivo based. It has 2 tuners, and meets your requirements. I think the latest R10's have 70 hour capacity.

The R10 is pretty well locked down. You can't implement networking or other "hacks" that were done on older boxes without changing a soldered in IC.

So, if you are not interested in networking or home media environments, the R10 should work very well for you. Order it on-line from any of several vendors including valueelectronics, weaknees, and solidsignal. I'm sure there are others also, those just come to mind immediately.

If you want a box that lends itself to greater modification, go over to www.tivocommunity.com, and ask your question there.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

...I'll be looking to purchase an older and very solid D* receiver with TiVo. What's the model out there that has the best track record?

My favorite features are a series link that actually only records new episodes, at least 50 hours worth of recording time, stability with the guide.

Any suggestions, should I get to the breaking point?

P.S. I have two feeds from the sat, so one that is capable of recording 2 shows at the same time or recording 1 and watching another is absolutely vital.

www.valueelectronics.com still has new DTiVos in stock.

Order one and activate it by the end of February and it will be free after rebate (unless you already cashed in the rebate to get your R-15).

You can also get a refurbed DTiVo from Directv for $14.95 s&h. No commitment extention necessary. Order it from the website (no phone orders) using the code DVR4ME. This offer also expires Feb. 28. Directv is going to a hardware lease program, so don't wait much longer for either of these deals - the price for a DTiVo will probably go way up starting March 1.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...