Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whats best Component or HDTV Digital out?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Notorious

Notorious

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:38 AM

Tomorrow morning (today really) is my install date. My current HDTV uses Component cables, but I noticed the 622 has an HDTV DIGITAL OUTPUT plug in the back. Is that functional? What cable would I need (link anyone)? Will it even make a differnce comparing to Component?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:56 AM

no difference. if your tv is RGB, you use RGB. HDMI is for convenience, it's the same picture. there are situations where the HDMI performs better, like long cable runs, but for normal connectivity, you wouldn't notice a difference as long as you have decent quality cabling for either.
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#3 OFFLINE   Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:30 AM

Personally I like the componennt better than the HDMI on my 622. The colors are more vivid and rich using the component out with my setup.

#4 OFFLINE   Virus

Virus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:22 AM

I prefer component cables as well.

#5 OFFLINE   rmrm

rmrm

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:02 AM

I prefer component cables as well.

Me too. Component does give little better colors in my setup.

#6 OFFLINE   Virus

Virus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:06 AM

I noticed the same thing when I set my fathers tv up. When I used HDMI the colors definately weren't as vibrant. For me it was a no brainer. I only have DVI on the back of my HDTV and my component's were calibrated by an ISF tech. It would have been converted back to ananlog anyway. Unfortunately, my Pioneer Elite 59AVi requires HDMI to upconvert to 1080i and can only do 480P over Component. When I get my new TV I will definately use the HDMI port for the DVD player.

#7 OFFLINE   65notch

65notch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:06 AM

I've got a 2003 Panny RPT CRT, it only has DVI, But I have a HDMI -> DVI and it looks damn good, I think even better than w/ the component.

#8 OFFLINE   jakattak

jakattak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:36 AM

Tomorrow morning (today really) is my install date. My current HDTV uses Component cables, but I noticed the 622 has an HDTV DIGITAL OUTPUT plug in the back. Is that functional? What cable would I need (link anyone)? Will it even make a differnce comparing to Component?

The digital output they're referring to is an HDMI port and to use it your TV either needs HDMI in or it can use DVI with a DVI/HDMI cable/adapter.

As far as the difference, component cable are still analog. They can send awesome HD signals, but the signals are not sent digitally. With DVI and HDMI, the source remains digital all the way to the set. As far as the real difference to you and me, it depends on the receiver and your TV. Some people will swear up and down that DVI and HDMI are superior because they keep the signal all digital, but that isn't always the case. On my set, for example, component signals look much better than DVI signals. DVI signals on my set look muddy in comparison with a decent amount of noticeable artifacting that isn't there (or isn't there to the same degree) on the component signal. A friend of mine, however, has a set where the HDMI signal is significantly better on his set than the componenet.

#9 OFFLINE   mattcombs

mattcombs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:52 AM

Some people will swear up and down that DVI and HDMI are superior because they keep the signal all digital, but that isn't always the case. .

Right on the money here. It's best to try both. In some instances one is better than the other. One other advantage no one has mentioned is that HDMI carries audio signals as well, all in one cable. Unless you have an HDMI-switching a/v receiver, or are using your TV for sound, that doesn't matter too much. But in some situations, it's great. Some DVI ports carry audio as well, but I have yet to run across one.

If you're curious and want to try the HDMI (or DVI) cables, you can do so inexpensively at monoprice.com - their cables are inexpensive, and so far I've had great success with them. They're low price enough to have a couple lying around to test things out and see which you like better!

#10 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:02 AM

i would guess there are 2 possible answers to the quality most are mentioning between rgb and hdmi. The TV's don't sound like they have very good signal converters, and/or the RGB cables are simply superior in quality and they are not suffereing from any noise or other interference. You wouldn't expect interference across the HDMI cable being that it's digital, but those descriptions just sounds like what you'd expect from poorer cables :)
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#11 OFFLINE   David-A

David-A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

For long cable distances (as would be the case if your display or projector is some distance from the rest of the equipment), HDMI typically has an advantage over component. Otherwise, as others have pointed out, it depends on your equipment (source, display, switches, and the quality of your cables) as to which is best.

#12 OFFLINE   Cardini

Cardini

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:04 PM

This pretty much sums it up in concert with what others have already posted. In my case I can't say I have noticed any difference between HDMI and component connections, other than convenience.

http://forum.ecousti...579/122868.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...