Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

10A3 is an incorrect version!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Buffa

Buffa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

Just got off the phone with Directv. They forced an upgrade with me last night due to locals not recording properly. My receiver went from 109A to 10A3 and two different technicians, both Tier 2 and higher, said that the version should be 109F and that 10A3 means it didn't take properly. This stayed at 10A3 after 3 forced downloads, which downloaded fully each time. They are actually even sending a new receiver since it won't take to 109F. Seeing these posts, it appears here that 10A3 supersedes 109F, but not according to Directv? I'm confused now, because if they're wrong, replacing it is a waste, but if they're right, I wanted to make sure everyone here knew. Any input? I'll be unavailable for a while, but will come back to see responses later today. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:36 AM

109F came around valentines day 10A3 is just within the last couple of days. I'd chalk this up to D*'s CSR's dont have a clue, as usual.

#3 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:38 AM

Or the usual lack of communication top to bottom.
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300
(Gathering dust in a closet)

#4 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:43 AM

Just got off the phone with Directv. They forced an upgrade with me last night due to locals not recording properly. My receiver went from 109A to 10A3 and two different technicians, both Tier 2 and higher, said that the version should be 109F and that 10A3 means it didn't take properly. This stayed at 10A3 after 3 forced downloads, which downloaded fully each time. They are actually even sending a new receiver since it won't take to 109F. Seeing these posts, it appears here that 10A3 supersedes 109F, but not according to Directv? I'm confused now, because if they're wrong, replacing it is a waste, but if they're right, I wanted to make sure everyone here knew. Any input? I'll be unavailable for a while, but will come back to see responses later today. Thanks!

109F would be followed by 10A0, 10A1, 10A2, and finally 10A3 (they're hex numbers). The CSR you talked to doesn't have a clue.

#5 OFFLINE   Buffa

Buffa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:08 AM

Based on the last few responses (I hadn't read the hex comment yet), I called Directv again, and now a 3rd tehnician insists that 10A3 is an even older version. 109F is new and they released from the 14th (Pacific) to the 21st (East). I told them lots of people on this forum now have 10A3...what gives? She insisted that 109F is correct. I'm so frustrated, because I don't quite trust them, and reading the hex reply even more skeptical of Directv now, but I guess there's a possibility that they're right? Could 3 Level 2 tier techs be completely dumb? I hope not, but who knows.

#6 OFFLINE   wohlfie

wohlfie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

109F would be followed by 10A0, 10A1, 10A2, and finally 10A3 (they're hex numbers). The CSR you talked to doesn't have a clue.

Boy - am I glad I didn't post a question that was floating around in my brain....namely "What the heck is up with these version numbers? Why would they completely change the format?":nono2:

Obviously, my job doesn't involve compters (other than using them, of course).

Anyway, I find this mildly encouraging.
Since right before x-mas when 109A came out, they evidently went through 5 versions before starting to release 109F and then 3 more in the last couple weeks to get to 10A3. This would seem to indicate that they are doing A LOT of software work (at least to me anyhow).

Unless of course it goes like this.....

"Hey chief, I want to make a software change, I need a new number..."

"oops, the box exploded, gonna need another new number...." :lol:

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:30 AM

I can guarantee.. without a doubt. 100%

10A3 is the latest version of the software (and is newer then 109F)

The CSRs got a memo last week regarding the 109f version

Going via HEX increments 10A3 is "greater" then 109F

Again... 100%, hands down... 10A3 is newer then 109F

Sadly: For what ever reason.
The CSRs tend to be the last to know.. :(
It is not that they are "dumb", it is just that information flow from one area of DirecTV to another, is not optimal.
It has been that way for years.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Buffa

Buffa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:31 AM

Talked to them again after reading the hex reply, and now they recommend keeping the receiver and monitoring it. They cancelled the replacement, but still won't admit that 10A3 is newer. They have NO documentation on anything newer than 109F. Isn't that sad! The guy was very nice, and more or less agreed that 10A3 is newer than 109F in hex, but just couldn't verify it through their system. So I'll wait and see any improvements, and now I don't have to lose all my recordings and mess with a new unit!

#9 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:42 AM

Talked to them again after reading the hex reply, and now they recommend keeping the receiver and monitoring it. They cancelled the replacement, but still won't admit that 10A3 is newer. They have NO documentation on anything newer than 109F. Isn't that sad! The guy was very nice, and more or less agreed that 10A3 is newer than 109F in hex, but just couldn't verify it through their system. So I'll wait and see any improvements, and now I don't have to lose all my recordings and mess with a new unit!

At least you finally got someone who had a clue and realized that 10A3 is newer than 109F. I'm a computer programmer for a living and I've never heard of any version control software that goes backwards. Higher numbers are ALWAYS a newer version...

#10 OFFLINE   DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:55 AM

At least you finally got someone who had a clue and realized that 10A3 is newer than 109F. I'm a computer programmer for a living and I've never heard of any version control software that goes backwards. Higher numbers are ALWAYS a newer version...

Naturally. But this gets back to another point I made in another thread....The original point was that it was a little freaky for the SINGLE MODEL of this DVR to have two different versions of software. I realize there are two manufacturers, but to us and the DirecTV employees, there is only one. One manufacturer, one model: The DIRECTV R15. So, two software versions seems like a headache waiting to happen.
But my next point is this:

Why does it have to be so complicated that they're using Hex numbers for version numbers? I've never seen another consumer product do this. Even computer bios flash files are numbered as the instantly recognizeable X.XX format. I think, if the R15 were to have software versions like every other consumer product, (for example, we seem to be on about version 0.11 right now, HOPING to get to v. 1.0 by the end of the year) ;), many of these headaches could be solved. What CSR would tell you "No sir, version 2.0 is definitely older than 1.5. I'm going to replace your box, because it won't go down a version." But when it comes to hex...the A in 10A3 stands for the number "160" The A in 109A stands for "10". Now, let your average DTV CSR suck on that for awhile and see if it makes sense...

I'm sure they have reasons, and really, we're not supposed to even know or care what software version we're on. But a lot of CSRs know what version your DirecTiVo should be on. Why? Because it's a simple thing, and the number always goes up in a perceptible way.

Just a little hex vs. DTV CSR rant. I'm done now. Just saying, it's not really their fault. This receiver is too complicated for its own good, methinks.

Ricky

#11 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:56 AM

Anyway, I find this mildly encouraging.
Since right before x-mas when 109A came out, they evidently went through 5 versions before starting to release 109F and then 3 more in the last couple weeks to get to 10A3. This would seem to indicate that they are doing A LOT of software work (at least to me anyhow).

No, not especially, assuming these are something like build numbers. We generally do daily (automated) builds here on the stuff I work on.

#12 OFFLINE   ajseagles3

ajseagles3

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

They are probably doing a lot of work, but each build could include as few as 1-2 minor fixes.

#13 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

But when it comes to hex...the A in 10A3 stands for the number "160" The A in 109A stands for "10". Now, let your average DTV CSR suck on that for awhile and see if it makes sense...

LOL - I teach a part-time intro PC class at the local business school, and for some reason they think that we should teach binary in that class...you should've seen some of the looks when I told them that 1+1 was no longer 2, it was now 10. :lol:

#14 OFFLINE   ajseagles3

ajseagles3

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

LOL - I teach a part-time intro PC class at the local business school, and for some reason they think that we should teach binary in that class...you should've seen some of the looks when I told them that 1+1 was no longer 2, it was now 10. :lol:

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#15 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:13 AM

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I love that quote! I actually put it on the board to start the binary lecture...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...