Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multisat in Jacksonville, FL question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:45 AM

OK, so I was diagnosing a problem for my in-laws' HDVR2 this weekend, and in the process I'm pretty sure I accidentally convinced it that it's connected to a round dish. So I don't think it's going to see the other satellites. First thing I thought was that it might not see locals (ouch), but it seemed to do just fine in that area. So how badly have I messed them up? Is the multi-sat requirement for Jax something that pre-dates spotbeams or something?

BTW, problem I was diagnosing (have determined their HDVR2 is bad, possibly hit by lightning like a lot of other stuff in their house): Tuner 1 is fine, but tuner 2 can't see any odd transponders. :confused: I swapped cables and disconnected each tuner, but the problem doesn't leave tuner 2. I'm fairly sure tuner 2 on a hardware level has lost the ability to send DC to do the switch.

Due to the apparently failed hardware, and the fact that it wants to do an auto-detect (or at least validate what you've told it), I'm pretty sure it's stuck on round dish forever now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:56 AM

Really? Nobody? Let me ask a simpler question: is there a list of what channels are on which satellites so I can figure out for myself what they won't be able to receive?

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:56 AM

Really? Nobody? Let me ask a simpler question: is there a list of what channels are on which satellites so I can figure out for myself what they won't be able to receive?

In summary, All normal programming is on 101....some locals are on other sats....international programming is on another sat(s).....

http://www.lyngsat.c...ectvusa101.html

maybe slightly outdated but as you can see, its pretty much all the regular channels....

http://www.lyngsat.c...ectvusa119.html

All spot beams for locals.....

http://www.lyngsat.c...ectvusa110.html

All the hi-def content

http://www.lyngsat.c...rectvusa72.html

More locals, requires a seperate dish

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:57 AM

Just locals and some HD. The foreign language pacakages are also there, including Para Todos.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:59 AM

The oval dish allows reception of two additional satellites, 110 and 119. I believe you need 110 for hi-def, and 119 for some local channels, and for most Spanish language channels. Everything else comes in on 101.

This site should show what transponders dtv uses. It isn't coming up for me right now though (I have used it in the past)
www.widemovies.com/dtvtransponders.html

It does sound like the DVR is bad and needs to be replaced.

Carl

#6 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

OK, I'm confused, then. I'm pretty sure I checked locals after breaking the HDVR2 config. But according to the above, they shouldn't be able to get locals without seeing 119.

spam firewall