Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to combine Direct TV output with OTA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   derricott

derricott

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:22 PM

Is there a way to combine the Direct TV output with my OTA signals going to other TVs which don't have Direct Tv receivers so I can choose between OTA channels and the selected Direct TV channel? Possibly using a diplexer? It seems like this would work but I am concerned because I have both channel 3 and 4 OTA signals and thought that the weak OTA signal might interfere with the Direct TV signal which is also transmitted on ch 3. I'm just trying to save a few bucks since I have six TVs but rarely use more than one at a time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:53 PM

I'm not sure if a diplexer will work for that or not but why not get get a standard A/B switch from RadioShack or someplace like that? You're talking about two coax feeds, correct?

Just wondering, do you get your locals from DTV? Why not just use your DTV receiver to feed the other TV? What's the need for OTA channels in addition to the DTV feed?

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:59 PM

If you have both channel 3 and 4 as active OTA channels you are in an odd location the FCC dosen't assign them together because they will interfere with each other. The solution for you is to modulate your satellite signal onto an unused UHF channel and then combine through a splitter in reverse. Google for UHF modulators then decide what you want to pay.

#4 OFFLINE   derricott

derricott

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

If you have both channel 3 and 4 as active OTA channels you are in an odd location the FCC dosen't assign them together because they will interfere with each other. The solution for you is to modulate your satellite signal onto an unused UHF channel and then combine through a splitter in reverse. Google for UHF modulators then decide what you want to pay.

Channel 4 is an active channel but I also receive a poor picture on ch 3 and thought that it might interfere. Thanks for the thought on UHF. I may try that. It's got to be cheaper than $25 per month for five more Direct TVs.

#5 OFFLINE   derricott

derricott

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

For one thing I get 24 OTA channels and only 5 on Direct TV but the main reason is that if someone is watching the Direct TV set then only that one channel is available on all of the other sets. If I can do what I am proposing then all other sets will have 24l OTA channels and the selected Direct TV channel available simultaneously.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:33 PM

I use one of these http://www.smarthome.com/7717.HTML .

It allows the passthrough of RF and will combine two other channels of your choosing.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

I use one of these http://www.smarthome.com/7717.HTML .

It allows the passthrough of RF and will combine two other channels of your choosing.

I guess I really misunderstood what derricott is trying to do. This one device is $160. Derricot has multiple TVs and is trying to avoid the cost of adding additional DTV receivers.

Derricott, how many coax feeds do you have running to each of the TVs in question?

#8 OFFLINE   derricott

derricott

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

I guess I really misunderstood what derricott is trying to do. This one device is $160. Derricot has multiple TVs and is trying to avoid the cost of adding additional DTV receivers.

Derricott, how many coax feeds do you have running to each of the TVs in question?

Right now I have a single antenna coax with an 8-way splitter and single coax to each TV. Three of the sets are located where I can easily run additional coax to them but the others would be very difficult to get to. I can live without Direct TV at these other sets but I thought there might be an easy way to make this happen.

#9 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:56 PM

That makes more sense now. But it may be cheaper to a) run coax or B) get some cheap DTV receivers off ebay for those TVs that a new coax cannot be run to.

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:52 AM

That makes more sense now. But it may be cheaper to a) run coax or B) get some cheap DTV receivers off ebay for those TVs that a new coax cannot be run to.

There is no such thing as a cheap DTV receiver on EBAY. You have to buy the receiver then unless it is brand new you have to buy a card for $20 from Directv and pay shipping. Then you still have to pay $5/Mo. for the additional receiver. Most dealers would be happy to sell a brand new D11 for $50.:)

#11 OFFLINE   derricott

derricott

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:13 AM

I just had DTV installed two days ago and the receivers and cards would have been free at that time. I just didn't want to have to pay an extra $25 per month. Especially not knowing how much I would be using these other sets. I may still try the diplexer. They are very inexpensive but I just don't want to fry anything. The A-B switch is also a good alternative for the rooms where I can run another coax. Thanks everyone.

#12 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:08 PM

You have to buy the receiver then unless it is brand new you have to buy a card for $20 from Directv and pay shipping.

I know I keep hearing that but I have not experienced it. But it's always a possibility.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...