Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR fees

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dojoman

dojoman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:41 PM

Does dish charge 2x DVR fees for 942 since it's dual tuner? So roughly $12 a month DVR fees?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   PHANTOM_MADMAN

PHANTOM_MADMAN

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:08 PM

Does dish charge 2x DVR fees for 942 since it's dual tuner? So roughly $12 a month DVR fees?

They would only charge 1 DVR FEE for Dual Tuners unless you get AEP or DISHHD Platinum then they would waive the DVR Fee.

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

No, only 1 DVR fee per receiver, no matter how many tuners 1 receivers has. If however their is no phone line connected to a 2 tuner receiver (dos not mater weather it is a DVR receiver or not), then their is a $5/mo extra outlet fee, if a phone line is connected then this fee goes away.

#4 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:11 AM

IMHO, they should do away with DVR fees and raise the price of the America's Family Basic tier by $5.
Gun control is racist.

#5 OFFLINE   KingJerky

KingJerky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:52 AM

IMHO, they should do away with DVR fees and raise the price of the America's Family Basic tier by $5.

Preach it!!! It is bad enough we are paying for TV WITH advertisements in it...

#6 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

now seriously, how stupid a comment is that? Do you really think Dish would have an equal number of subs to the Fam pack as who have DVR's? Sorry man, I like most of what you say, but this is simply a stupid comment, if you are being serious. I hope you are saying this sarcastically (because that would be funny it meant jokingly), cause otherwise I gotta wonder what you've been smokin' today :)
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#7 OFFLINE   rhiggs

rhiggs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:04 PM

now seriously, how stupid a comment is that? Do you really think Dish would have an equal number of subs to the Fam pack as who have DVR's? Sorry man, I like most of what you say, but this is simply a stupid comment, if you are being serious. I hope you are saying this sarcastically (because that would be funny it meant jokingly), cause otherwise I gotta wonder what you've been smokin' today :)

I AGREE!!!!!

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

It is one thing to not like the DVR fee, and to complain (justifiably so I might add) that it seems unfair to have to pay a $5.98 fee to use the DVR when the whole point of a DVR is to be a DVR.

BUT... for the same person to think it would be "ok" to charge Family Pack customers more money to "pay the DVR fee" for a DVR they don't even have..

That is crazy, and means you aren't interested in what's fair but in passing the buck. Hard to take you seriously... unless it was meant as a joke, in which case I can understand the attempt at humor.

#9 OFFLINE   dj5

dj5

Mentor

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

$5.98/mth DVR Fee (unless you have Everything Pak or Platinum Package)
$6.00/mth lease fee
$5.00/mth if not hooked up to a telephone line.

For the 622, you will be charged an extra $6.00 if you do not subscribe to a HD package.

#10 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

I also think E* needs a more diverse offerring of international and adult programing, since international and adult programing are big money makers for E*.
Gun control is racist.

#11 OFFLINE   Rogueone

Rogueone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:03 AM

but wasn't E* the ones a few years ago who stated they wouldn't carry adult programming?
Regards,

RogueOne
Dish VIP622, 4/4/06; ex 921 owner, 2/04 to 3/06
Dish 501 (soon to upgrade to 722) :D
HD OTA (Washington DC): WRC-DT 1&2, WTTG-DT, WJLA-DT 1&2, WUSA-DT 1&2, WETA-DT 1-4, WBDC-DT 1&2, MHz 1-4, ION 1-7, WDCA-DT, and others i don't care about

#12 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:07 AM

but wasn't E* the ones a few years ago who stated they wouldn't carry adult programming?

Not realy sure about that one. But to be honest, I would have never become an E* customer if they did not offer international and adult programing.
Gun control is racist.

#13 OFFLINE   TomH

TomH

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:20 AM

Preach it!!! It is bad enough we are paying for TV WITH advertisements in it...

So... you'd rather pay even more if you could get TV without any advertisements? Those commercials are subsidizing your bill. There's a reason why you have to pay extra for HBO.

#14 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:33 AM

The number of people with the Family pack is probably far smaller than the number with DVRs. So it in addition to being nonsensical it would not replace the lost revenue.

Add to that the fact that DISH is touting the low price of the package and you can see it just does not make sense.

Adult and international programming is something else. Yes Charlie did once say that there would be no adult programming but that horse left the barn ages ago. It is fine by me so long as it is easily hidden from the menu etc---and it is.

Intenatioanl is fine. again don't clog my guide with it but it too is "hidden".
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#15 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:34 AM

So... you'd rather pay even more if you could get TV without any advertisements? Those commercials are subsidizing your bill. There's a reason why you have to pay extra for HBO.

Actually he wants some people to pay more for TV WITH ads.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#16 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:54 PM

While the comment may not be all that well thought out, the extra fee's are just annoying.. On top of state taxes in those unlucky states that didn't get them killed..

While I can understand to some level a fee for maintaining more than one receiver on an account, to replicate that 3-4 times if you have that many recievers, makes the fee's alone almost $150-200 a year..

I've always thought that it should be one flat fee for any receiver over your initial receiver up to the per household limit. Unless I've completely mis-understood the receiver fee's. & DVR Fees..
Norm

#17 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:39 AM

I still think a DVR fee should be on a per account basis, instead of a per receiver. Gotta love my 508s!
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison from South Park
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." - Cluelessness from despair.com

#18 OFFLINE   Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:41 AM

I still think a DVR fee should be on a per account basis, instead of a per receiver. Gotta love my 508s!

That's the one thing Directv has going for it. One fee per account.

#19 OFFLINE   lionsrule

lionsrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

If I sign up for HD Platinum, therefore waiving the DVR fee....does that mean that ALL DVR fee's in my household are waived? (I have a 921,510, and soon a 622)

#20 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

Yes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...