Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Next 24 Market for HD Service.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

DIRECTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive High-Definition Local Channels in Spring 2006; Local HD Markets Will Total 36, Representing More Than 58 Percent of U.S. Television Homes
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 22, 2006--Continuing to widely expand its local high-definition (HD) programming services, DIRECTV, Inc. (NYSE: DTV), the nation's leading digital television service provider, today named the next 24 U.S. markets that will receive local HD programming.

Beginning in April of this year, DIRECTV will roll out the first of the 24 new markets, offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. Customers with the appropriate DIRECTV HD receiving equipment, who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels, will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

The 24 local markets to receive HD programming include:

Baltimore Minneapolis, Minn.
Birmingham, Ala. Nashville, Tenn.
Charlotte, N.C. Orlando, Fla.
Cleveland Phoenix
Columbus, Ohio Pittsburgh
Denver Raleigh, N.C.
Fresno, Calif. Sacramento, Calif.
Hartford, Conn. Salt Lake City
Indianapolis San Diego
Kansas City, Mo./Kan. Seattle
Miami St Louis, Mo.
Milwaukee, Wisc. West Palm Beach, Fla.

"The expansion of local HD programming is one of the cornerstones of our brand strategy to provide the best entertainment experience for DIRECTV's customers and sets us apart from our competition," said Dan Fawcett, executive vice president, DIRECTV, Inc. "With the rollout of 24 new local HD markets, we will offer access to DIRECTV-delivered local HD programming to 58 percent of U.S. television homes. We expect to expand our HD local coverage to even more markets later this year."

DIRECTV currently offers standard-definition local channels in 141 markets, covering nearly 94 percent of television households in the country, as well as 12 HD local channel markets, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa and Washington, D.C. With the launch of two new satellites -- DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 -- in 2007, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

All DIRECTV local HD programming is being transmitted via MPEG-4 AVC, the new standard in digital video compression and advanced modulation that more than doubles the efficiency of DIRECTV's capacity.

Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing the new H20 HD receiver and a satellite dish that has the ability to receive programming from five different orbital locations and Ka-band signals. Through Feb. 28, DIRECTV is offering new and existing customers a $200 mail-in rebate on the purchase of a DIRECTV HD Receiver. (Limit one rebate per account.) Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City, and through DIRECTV.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. is the nation's leading digital television service provider with more than 15 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV (NYSE: DTV) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment services. DIRECTV is approximately 34 percent owned by News Corporation.

Robert Mercer, 310-726-4683
rgmercer@directv.com

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regarding The DIRECTV Group, Inc.'s business which are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk Factors" in the Company's Annual Report or Form 10-K for the most recently ended fiscal year.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GrandMasta

GrandMasta

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:44 PM

very nice :) SLC on the list.

#3 OFFLINE   nkaveti

nkaveti

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:40 AM

Does anyone have any idea as what E* is planning for HD locals?

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:30 PM

Does anyone have any idea as what E* is planning for HD locals?

You would be better served asking that question in the Dish HD discussion forum. Suffice it to say that E* started deploying HD locals three weeks ago and is up to four or five markets versus the 12 delivered by D*.

#5 OFFLINE   jwholm

jwholm

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

I currently have the HD TIVo HD-10, I was wondering if there is , or soon going to be a HD DVR receiver using MPEG-4 when the roll out the HD locals for my area.

Thanks JW

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:50 PM

I currently have the HD TIVo HD-10, I was wondering if there is , or soon going to be a HD DVR receiver using MPEG-4 when the roll out the HD locals for my area.

Thanks JW

They're working on the MPEG4 capable HD DVR now....no exact date for when it will be ready, but that goes right in line for when the next 24 markets start going live as well.....no exact date.....

:lol:

#7 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:53 AM

Hey! Now you can pay someone to sell you a fraction of what you can get free OTA.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:47 AM

Hey! Now you can pay someone to sell you a fraction of what you can get free OTA.

It all depends on where you live. There are a good percentage of people in the US that have zero access to any OTA for any number of reasons...

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:03 PM

"Free" is a relative term with respect to OTA programming. If it costs you big bucks to get a suitable antenna installed, it isn't really free. If your housing situation doesn't allow a suitable antenna, then satellite (or cable) may be your only hope.

To be an alternative to the competition, you have to offer much of what they offer. This is why they are doing what they can with the big four. Until Spaceway 2 is operational, they probably don't have much room to add markets in HD much less expand the offerings. Looking forward to D10 and D11 adding 1000 HD locals between the two, they should have enough bandwidth to carry many more locals. Until then, they need to spread the bandwidth around and give everyone much of what they need versus some of the people everything.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't add in CW after that conglomeration happens.

#10 OFFLINE   RayChuang1654

RayChuang1654

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

...Should I hold off getting the service until D* starts high definition service in April in my area? I think that it will require a new receiver and dish antenna to receive this service (I don't want the local installer coming out twice because I have to upgrade! :nono: ).

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:57 AM

...Should I hold off getting the service until D* starts high definition service in April in my area? I think that it will require a new receiver and dish antenna to receive this service (I don't want the local installer coming out twice because I have to upgrade! :nono: ).

You should hold off until they have exactly the offer you want in terms of hardware and programming. If you want an HD DVR that can do your locals, wait. If you don't want a DVR, learn more about them until you do.

#12 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

Any "otherwise reliable" rumors about when Swy 2 goes online. I'm outside the 1st 36; but, I have had a retention rep tell me I should be getting MPG4 before the year is out.

#13 OFFLINE   briloop

briloop

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

Any speculation as to when and where the next expansion will happen? I live in Austin, TX.

spam firewall