Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New H20 Not Picking Up OTA. HELP!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JZelle1

JZelle1

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

Hello,

In light of the upcoming changes by DTV, I've been surfing around looking for the same answers as everyone else. As my current HD STB, a Tosh DST-3k, is starting to go out, I decided to try one of the new H20s.

I have a UHF only antnenna and pre-amp. I went through the setup and was able to see signal strength for the satellite transceivers. However, I was unable to see signal strength for any OTA channels. This is after trying two H20 boxes, and spending time on the phone with DTV's Tier 2 support.

I'm wondering if I need to activate the box just for it to see signal strength for the OTA cahnnels, even thouhg it's able to show strength for the satellite. DTV says I shouldn't have to activate the receiver, but what else can it be?

When I connect the cable back to the old STB, the locals come up fine.

Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:57 PM

The H20 has to be activated before it will see OTA.

#3 OFFLINE   JZelle1

JZelle1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

The H20 has to be activated before it will see OTA.

Even just to see signal strength? Even DTV said I should be able to see signal strength w/out activation. I'm thinking they may be wrong. Has anyone out there been able to see signal strength on their OTA channels before activating the H20 box?

#4 OFFLINE   DTC mac

DTC mac

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

No, and even when activated the H20 will only tune OTA channels that are in the APG. So if you have a local channel that D* dosen't put in the APG you wont get it.

#5 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

No, and even when activated the H20 will only tune OTA channels that are in the APG. So if you have a local channel that D* dosen't put in the APG you wont get it.

What's an APG? :confused:

#6 OFFLINE   DTC mac

DTC mac

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

What's an APG? :confused:

Advance(d) Program Guide, the guide feature that is sent to the box via satellite. As in the H20 ignores PSIP transmitted OTA and uses the APG to provide listings.

#7 OFFLINE   JZelle1

JZelle1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:25 AM

DTC, do you mean no as in I should or shouldn't have to activate the box in order to see signal strength? I get plenty of channels in the APG, just no signal strength. I ran out and got the H20 because I kept hearing about how much more sensitive the H20 is to OTA signals.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

The H20 will not work for OTA without activation.....

#9 OFFLINE   JZelle1

JZelle1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:48 AM

The H20 will not work for OTA without activation.....

I know the H20 needs to be activated to actually view OTA programs, but does it need to be activated just to view the signal strength on the OTA channels? I'm able to see signal strength on the transceivers w/out activation.

#10 OFFLINE   DTC mac

DTC mac

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:51 PM

The H20 can NOT show OTA signal strength until it is activated. The ATSC tuner is not enabled until D* activates service. An unactivted H20 can do two things until activated:

1. waste power and show "barker" channels.

2. be an EXPENSIVE door stop.

#11 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

Ok, I gotta ask. Why have a H20 without activating it? As a cheap OTA receiver? It ain't so cheap. Anytime a DTV receiver is sold the buyer must activate that unit within 30 days or face an addition charge, something like $150 IIRC.

So just activate it and then you can see the signal strength. :icon_dumm

#12 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:22 PM

"...H20 will only tune OTA channels that are in the APG"

While this may be true, DIRECTV would not have any reason to exclude stations. In fact, they benefit from having all stations and having the customer happy.

I am glad that the data is in the APG, the integration in the program guide is great for me.

#13 OFFLINE   DTC mac

DTC mac

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:41 PM

"...H20 will only tune OTA channels that are in the APG"

While this may be true, DIRECTV would not have any reason to exclude stations. In fact, they benefit from having all stations and having the customer happy.

I am glad that the data is in the APG, the integration in the program guide is great for me.

A little thing called SV ( significantly viewed ), D* seems to be a bit reluctant to provide SV from adjacent DMA's.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...