Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hdmi cable/622

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sam 1207

sam 1207

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

Good evening i have a question about the 622 maybe someone can help me here goes.I have a hdmi/dvi cable right now on my tv going to my 811 which the 622 will replace i know this cable will be no good any more when i install the 622. AS i look at the back of the 622 i see a slot that says hdtv didgital audio/video heres where im confused.Is there a cable that is hdmi on one side and this didgital audio/video on the other side that i will have to buy my hdmi to dvi cable i bought was like a $ 100.00 at best buy. I called dish tech support and the lady didnt know but said that the installer would have all the equit i need for the install but dish also said the rec would come with the installer and it arrive last night via ups. Can anybody who is seen or done a install with the 622 help me out thanks all. SAM:nono:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chrisjs

chrisjs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:42 PM

Not sure why but many consumer products seem to interchange HDTV and HDMI labeling. The connector on the 622 is HDMI so as long as your TV is DVI your good to go. But I think I read that your TV is HDMI so you will have to get a standard HDMI to HDMI cable. Don't expect the installer to provide one.

Chris

#3 OFFLINE   BIGBALDITO

BIGBALDITO

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:34 PM

Yes there is a HDMI output on 622. I had my HDMI cable from my dvd player hooked up to my 622 while I wait for my HDMI splitter switch.

#4 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

I have done some testing on both, and found with the Sony's, HDMI was the way to go. The digital audio even just through the TV speakers, makes a big difference. But each manufacturer is different, so that isn't a global support statement for HDMI over component.

#5 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:45 AM

Not sure why but many consumer products seem to interchange HDTV and HDMI labeling. The connector on the 622 is HDMI so as long as your TV is DVI your good to go. But I think I read that your TV is HDMI so you will have to get a standard HDMI to HDMI cable. Don't expect the installer to provide one.

Chris

DNSC installers are now being issued HDMI cables with a DVI adapter (removable) for 622/211 installations. Your installer should have the right cable to hook up your set.

#6 OFFLINE   kbweaver

kbweaver

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:53 PM

DNSC installers are now being issued HDMI cables with a DVI adapter (removable) for 622/211 installations. Your installer should have the right cable to hook up your set.

Is the HDMI cable considered part of the install, or do they assess an additional charge? If there is a charge, am I better off purchasing my own beforehand?

Thanks for indulging this HDTV/Dish newbe.

#7 OFFLINE   caseystone

caseystone

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:17 AM

DVI / HDMI adapters work fine, except you lose audio support if it is not HDMI all the way.

My recent install did not even include component cables at no extra charge. Luckily, I already had the cables I need.

pccables.com was good to me!

Also, don't be too excited about HDMI on the 622 since there are issues right now.

-Casey

#8 OFFLINE   kbweaver

kbweaver

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:30 AM

DVI / HDMI adapters work fine, except you lose audio support if it is not HDMI all the way.

My recent install did not even include component cables at no extra charge. Luckily, I already had the cables I need.

pccables.com was good to me!

Also, don't be too excited about HDMI on the 622 since there are issues right now.

-Casey

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to stay HDMI all the way. I can only hope that the current glitches will be resolved at some point in the not so distant future.

KB

#9 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:59 AM

If the installer tries to charge you extra for the correct cables, complain, long and loud. He should have both HDMI and component cables, and yes, they are included in the installation. I hear too many stories about installers (not DNSC) installers trying to charge for aspects of the installation that should be free. No, those cables are free.

#10 OFFLINE   Codeman00

Codeman00

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:51 AM

My installer did not have the correct cable (DVI / HDMI) and asked if I had one. Luckily I read about the issue here on dbstalk.com and knew that I needed to buy the adapter ahead of time. He was reluctant to install the 2nd tuner to another room even with pre-existing wiring so him supplying the HDMI cables were out of the question.

Question for you guys...do the new audio surround sound recievers have an HDMI input and output? Man technology moves fast. Just when you think you're ahead of the game, you're not.

#11 OFFLINE   kbweaver

kbweaver

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:13 AM

My installer did not have the correct cable (DVI / HDMI) and asked if I had one. Luckily I read about the issue here on dbstalk.com and knew that I needed to buy the adapter ahead of time. He was reluctant to install the 2nd tuner to another room even with pre-existing wiring so him supplying the HDMI cables were out of the question.

Question for you guys...do the new audio surround sound recievers have an HDMI input and output? Man technology moves fast. Just when you think you're ahead of the game, you're not.

This may sound naive, but why the reluctance to install a second tuner? Dish advertises up to 4 rooms installed "free". I'm asking because I've scheduled my installation for 3 rooms (2 tuners) and the existing wiring is inadequate. I have in writing that the "free professional install" includes up to 200 feet of cable from the dish to each connected tv. Am I in for a rude awakening/battle on installation day?

Thanks,

KB

#12 OFFLINE   BIGBALDITO

BIGBALDITO

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

I hooked up my surround sound using the optical output supplied on the 622. Most all new surround sound systems have optical input on them. It's very quick and simple and best hook up for sound quality.

#13 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:20 AM

Casey'

Interestingly, the 942 comes with an HDMI to DVI cable as well as a DVI to HDMI adapter or short cable. Stereo sound is passed to the TV via the HDMI => DVI =>DVI => HDMI path. I suspect the 942 takes advantage of "extra" wires within the cable.

#14 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

Casey'

Interestingly, the 942 comes with an HDMI to DVI cable as well as a DVI to HDMI adapter or short cable. Stereo sound is passed to the TV via the HDMI => DVI =>DVI => HDMI path. I suspect the 942 takes advantage of "extra" wires within the cable.

There aren't any "extra" wires in the cable. The audio is carried on the very same data lines that the video is carried on. DVI has no provision during initial negotiation for audio but HDMI protocol does. The HDMI source reads what the sink (TV, A/V receiver, ...) is capable of (both audio and video) and decides what to send for both. The digital audio is nothing more than bits mixed with the video on the data lines.

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:19 AM

This may sound naive, but why the reluctance to install a second tuner? Dish advertises up to 4 rooms installed "free". I'm asking because I've scheduled my installation for 3 rooms (2 tuners) and the existing wiring is inadequate. I have in writing that the "free professional install" includes up to 200 feet of cable from the dish to each connected tv. Am I in for a rude awakening/battle on installation day?

Thanks,

KB

From the dish to each connected tv, not from tv to tv as in the case of the multi-tuner units....when it comes to having to try and fish wiring through walls of a house, thats not included..If you have wiring going from one room to another in place when they get there, there is no reason they wont connect it up for you....read whats actually included in an install....

http://www.dbsinstal...nstallation.htm

They are not there to completely re-wire your house for you....

#16 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:54 AM

... The audio is carried on the very same data lines that the video is carried on. DVI has no provision during initial negotiation for audio but HDMI protocol does....

Thanks for the explanation. Seems a dissapointment that the (stereo) sound is available with DVI yet no provision to utilize it.:(

#17 OFFLINE   caseystone

caseystone

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

There aren't any "extra" wires in the cable. The audio is carried on the very same data lines that the video is carried on. DVI has no provision during initial negotiation for audio but HDMI protocol does. The HDMI source reads what the sink (TV, A/V receiver, ...) is capable of (both audio and video) and decides what to send for both. The digital audio is nothing more than bits mixed with the video on the data lines.

Ahh. I guess I was wrong then. I should have said that you won't have audio unless there is HDMI on both ends, even if it gets adapted to DVI and back again.

-Casey

#18 OFFLINE   Codeman00

Codeman00

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

Thanks,

KB

kbweaver..this was covered in another thread so I will link you to it.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=54972

Protected By... spam firewall...And...