Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mpeg2,Mpeg4,5LNB...huh?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   unclduey

unclduey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:27 AM

Hi all, I was just looking for a quick rundown on the new stuff on HD DTV. There seems to be pieces out there but could someone who knows whats happening just lay it down plain and simple.

I am in Seattle and getting HD locals in April. Is that mpeg 2? or 4? Will I need the 5 LNB dish? Will my HR210 still record and receive all HD programming including the new HD locals? will my H10 only get Mpeg2 and not Mpeg4? but whats broadcast in Mpeg4? whos on second?

Thanks to who can do it!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:41 AM

Hi all, I was just looking for a quick rundown on the new stuff on HD DTV. There seems to be pieces out there but could someone who knows whats happening just lay it down plain and simple.

I am in Seattle and getting HD locals in April. Is that mpeg 2? or 4? Will I need the 5 LNB dish? Will my HR210 still record and receive all HD programming including the new HD locals? will my H10 only get Mpeg2 and not Mpeg4? but whats broadcast in Mpeg4? whos on second?

Thanks to who can do it!

HD locals are all mpeg4 and you need the new dish and a new receiver. All your old equipment will work with the new dish so you can keep it. No old equipment will get the new locals BUT all other new HD stations like TNT will be in mpeg2 until it's shut off. My opinion is this will be years away (every box would have to be switched out to shut off mpeg2). Others say 1 year. you have to decide. Only abc/cbs/nbc/fox are mpeg4 local. That's why i got OTA, to get wb/upn/pbs and even others as a bonus.

No, who's on first.

#3 OFFLINE   unclduey

unclduey

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the response. Looking like I will keep my OTA until The HD DVR hits the shelves. I get a real good OTA signal on all except the local NBC channel, so maybe I will spend some time to relocate it now.

#4 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

I get good OTA reception too, so I'm sticking with my H10 for now.

#5 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

anyone with good ota won't benefit a bit from the new mpeg4 locals. Unless the dvr is fantastic and has all those new features they promised in their webcast today

#6 OFFLINE   chewey

chewey

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:14 PM

Is the H20 MPEG4?

#7 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts