Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MPEG 4 local only, or will all equipment die?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkryan

jkryan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:29 PM

I have had it with Adelphia. I have 3 boxes; one is HD/DVR, one is SD/DVR, and one is just SD. I rarely get to watch TV, because they can't seem to "fix" our neighborhood, so my digital channels are terrible, if they come on at all.

So, I am ready to call DirecTV... but after reading all the posts here, not so sure now.:confused:

What about the SD/DVR and SD receiver ? (I need one each) Surely if I am already in an area receiving MPEG4 broadcasts (Northern Virginia, 35 miles south of DC, hard to say if I am) the SD equipment sent to me is already upgraded?

For HD/DVR...I understand the new HR20 DVR will not be available until summer '06 timeframe. And when I can get it, the HR20 will be leased and my DirecTV HR10-250 will be a paperweight...so I assume they will waive any upfront fee for the new DVR. :eek2:

But the question is, when will the HR10-250 BE obsolete? If I am already in the MPEG4 area, does that mean this unit will already not record in HD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

The SD DVR will be around for quite some time. In order to totally change over to MPEG4 DirecTV would have to replace nearly all receivers. That is a big pile of money. The MPEG2 will eventually go away, but not likely anytime soon. Hence your (future) SD DVR is "safe."

As far as the HD DVR, if you want HD locals via satellite you are correct you will need the MPEG4 DVR (i.e., not the HR10-250). Even then, the MPEG2 HD feed will likely be around for some time for the national HD channels. If you can det your locals via OTA (over the air antenna) the HR10-250 can record those just fine -- and frankly you would not need to swap out your HD DVR until the HD nationals completely switch over to MPEG4. The HR10-250 should be able to record OTA HD ad infinitum.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:10 PM

Keep in mind that the SD/DVR and the SD receiver doesn't care about MPEG4. MPEG4 is only for HD feeds at this time.

As close as you are to DC you probably can pickup your local HDs OTA with an indoor antenna.

I'm in Phoenix. MPEG4 locals are coming here in April. I just purchased a HR10-250 in December and since I can get all local channels OTA I really have no need for a MPEG 4 setup until DTV launches any national HD feeds in MPEG4. I'm betting on the current nation HD feeds remaining MPEG2 until 2007. At that point I should be able to get a sweet trade on the HR10 for an HR20 (or whatever it is be then) plus it should have many of it's bugs worked out by them.

I also have 5 DTivo units and one R15, no non-DVR receivers. I'll keep using my DTivos until they die. Then I have 3 more sitting just for parts.

That's the route I've taken. Hope this helps.

#4 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

You don't need MPEG4 to get Local HD channels. Local channels are On SAT..B Of a 3 LNB system.Along with All the HD channels . The 5LNB dish is for MPEG4 which is for the ultimate HD feed,,,,but they are not availible untill 2007.MPEG2 works fine for HD channels that are here now.But In 2007 H20 receivers will have to be used in order to get all The HD channels. Don't be fooled into buying an H20 with a 5LNB dish,to get local channels. Buy an H20 just to get ready for 2007. Buy a 5LNB for $80 off of Ebay for next year and install yourself.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:30 AM

What are you talking about?

SAT -- B? Locals? for HD?

No, those are the national DNS feeds... which are not "locals".
Yes, they are CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC (and they are all not on the B sat, they are scattered across all three)

These are the "locals" for NY and LA... but they are not the "locals" for Chicago, San Francisco, Texas, or anywhere else.

"Locals" by definition of the FCC are the stations responsible for your DMA. They are the ones the "advertising" is geared towards, and basically... how the networks make their money.

2006 brought on changes to the "waiver" rules. Waivers are pretty much nearly impossible to get now, unless you get a CSR or a tech who understand's completely the rules.

Here is an example. WBBM-DT Chicago, played Michagan against Ohio State this weekend. Channel 81... CBS-DT from NY via DirecTV, palyed a different game....

Just because it is CBS.. .doesn't mean it is MY local.

H20... Is an MPEG-4 compliant reciever, that can recieve what MPEG-4 signals that are out there now. It is 5LNB ready and basically is the next generation reciever.
If you true HD Locals are available, then you will need an H20 or the HR20 when it is released.

It is VERY difficult to get the DNS waivers if you are in an area where DirecTV is broadcasting your true HD locals in MPEG-4 format. And that is not because DirecTV doesn't want to give them to you (as they would most certainly want to)... it is that the laws that our Congress People have passed and the FCC is enforcing ties their hands.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

You don't need MPEG4 to get Local HD channels.

Yes you do, if you want the Satellite feed of them. All of D* HD Locals are in MPEG4 on either Spaceway 1 or Spaceway 2, except the national feeds of the NYC and LA locals that are only available if you live in those markets, or in a market that has no locals on Satellite, or if you live in a market that has an affiliate that is owned by the network.

#7 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:43 AM

What channels do you get from the 5lnb dish????

#8 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:44 AM

or if you live in a market that has an affiliate that is owned by the network.

I'm curious as to what this particular part of your post means...you can get DNS if your local affiliate is owned by the network?

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

What channels do you get from the 5lnb dish????

Me personally...

WBBM-DT.1 (Chicago's CBS)
WMAQ-DT.1 (Chicago's NBC)
WFLD-DT.1 (Chicago's FOX)
WLS-DT.1 (Chicago's ABC)

Those are not available any other way via SAT connections (with in the DirecTV system)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:48 AM

I'm curious as to what this particular part of your post means...you can get DNS if your local affiliate is owned by the network?

About 18 months ago, when the HD-DNS's where turned on.
There where blanket waives put out for Owned and Operated (O&O) networks.

Meaning, the local broadcast company was owned by the network, instead of a different individual.

Those blanket waivers however, are not really in effect any more.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

What are you talking about?

SAT -- B? Locals? for HD?

No, those are the national DNS feeds... which are not "locals".
Yes, they are CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC (and they are all not on the B sat, they are scattered across all three)

These are the "locals" for NY and LA... but they are not the "locals" for Chicago, San Francisco, Texas, or anywhere else.

"Locals" by definition of the FCC are the stations responsible for your DMA. They are the ones the "advertising" is geared towards, and basically... how the networks make their money.

2006 brought on changes to the "waiver" rules. Waivers are pretty much nearly impossible to get now, unless you get a CSR or a tech who understand's completely the rules.

Here is an example. WBBM-DT Chicago, played Michagan against Ohio State this weekend. Channel 81... CBS-DT from NY via DirecTV, palyed a different game....

Just because it is CBS.. .doesn't mean it is MY local.

H20... Is an MPEG-4 compliant reciever, that can recieve what MPEG-4 signals that are out there now. It is 5LNB ready and basically is the next generation reciever.
If you true HD Locals are available, then you will need an H20 or the HR20 when it is released.

It is VERY difficult to get the DNS waivers if you are in an area where DirecTV is broadcasting your true HD locals in MPEG-4 format. And that is not because DirecTV doesn't want to give them to you (as they would most certainly want to)... it is that the laws that our Congress People have passed and the FCC is enforcing ties their hands.

ALL HD CHANNELS ARE ON THE 3 LNB DISH.IF YOU WANT HD YOU NEED A 3LNB SAT B 119 SATellite

#12 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:52 AM

Yes you do, if you want the Satellite feed of them. All of D* HD Locals are in MPEG4 on either Spaceway 1 or Spaceway 2, except the national feeds of the NYC and LA locals that are only available if you live in those markets, or in a market that has no locals on Satellite, or if you live in a market that has an affiliate that is owned by the network.

What channels do you get from the 5lnb dish

#13 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:02 AM

Those blanket waivers however, are not really in effect any more.

I think it still applies to Hartford, CT though, since their NBC Affiliate is owned by NBC.

ALL HD CHANNELS ARE ON THE 3 LNB DISH.IF YOU WANT HD YOU NEED A 3LNB SAT B 119 SATellite

Only the national HD Channels are on the 3 LNB dish, for now. Also, only a few national HD Channels are on 119, others are on 110 and 101.

With the 5 LNB dish, select markets can get their NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox Affiliates in HD. Also, the local channels for Alaska and Hawaii are available with the 5 LNB Dish as well. In about a year or two, they will begin adding some national HD Channels to the 5 LNB Dish.

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

As KyL416 pointed out, that is incorrect.

There are HD channels (locals yes, but they are HD channels) that can only be recieved by using the 5LNB and the H20 (for now).

The 3LNB system is fine... If you can recieve your locals via OTA, can get approval to recieve the NY or LA "locals" (note: it a station by station waiver... so you may get one or two, but not all of them), or if you are only intrested in the HD channels that are part of the HD Pack or the two premium ones (HBO-HD and SHOW-HD)

Those all are all on the 3LNB system.

But the MPEG-4 encoded HD Locals, are on a SAT that the 3LNB (Phase III) dish, can not see nor tune in.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#15 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:46 PM

Let's try this a little differently, to put everyone on the same page:

DirecTV has DBS slots at 101, 110, and 119. The programming coming from these three satellites are transmitted in MPEG2. To DVR the HD programming on these satellites, you must have an HR10-250 and a dish capable of seeing all three slots. If you have the HR10-250, you can also record your local channels in HD using an antenna.

DirecTV also has FSS slots at 99, 101 and 103. The only programming coming from these slots are HD locals transmitted in MPEG4. There is no DVR for these satellites at this time. The only equipment able to receive this programming at this time is the H20 receiver and the AT9 5-LNB dish. The HR10 will not record off these satellites because it is not capable of decoding the MPEG4 stream.

#16 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:50 PM

The only equipment able to receive this programming at this time is the H10 receiver and the AT9 5-LNB dish. The HR10 will not record off these satellites because it is not capable of decoding the MPEG4 stream.

Close... :D

That would be the H20 is the only AT9 5-LNB reciever that can see the MPEG-4
And the HR10 is also limited to fact it can't tune in the other SATs, so you can do a software fix to decode MPEG-4 either.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#17 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:43 PM

The DirecTV branded HD receiver is called the H20? Learn something new every day. I thought it was the H10. I have corrected my post.

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

H10 is a model they have...

Just not the one that can see MPEG-4 ... :D
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#19 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

Got it. Thanks.

#20 OFFLINE   jkryan

jkryan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

You don't need MPEG4 to get Local HD channels. Local channels are On SAT..B Of a 3 LNB system.Along with All the HD channels . The 5LNB dish is for MPEG4 which is for the ultimate HD feed,,,,but they are not availible untill 2007.MPEG2 works fine for HD channels that are here now.But In 2007 H20 receivers will have to be used in order to get all The HD channels. Don't be fooled into buying an H20 with a 5LNB dish,to get local channels. Buy an H20 just to get ready for 2007. Buy a 5LNB for $80 off of Ebay for next year and install yourself.

Okay, I am looking at leasing from D* tomorrow as they begin the new lease program...getting the HR10-250 for now...thinking they will upgrade me when the HR20 comes out, without charging me a "new" lease fee. But, they did say they are installing the 5LNB dish...so in extreme layman's terms...if I get the HR10-250, and they install the 5LNB, can I get my local Washington DC ABC/CBS/ABC affiliates in High Def and record them? I do not have an antenna for OTA...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...