Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MPEG 4 local only, or will all equipment die?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:40 PM

No, you won't be able to record your HD Locals on the HR10-250. You have to wait until you get the HR20 to record those, since the HD Locals are MPEG4.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RayChuang1654

RayChuang1654

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

Help. :whatdidid

I was ready to call a local installer to get D* but now that D* will start broadcasting the local channels for Sacramento, CA in high-definition should I hold off until the MPEG-4 compatible receivers are available? This is especially true since I may also get Jadeworld service for my stepfather who's fluent in both Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese.

#23 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

There is an MPEG-4 reciever out... the H20

But if you want an MPEG-4 DVR, you will need to wait a few months for the HR20
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

The H20 can't record but it does handle the MPEG 2 signals as well as the new MPEG 4. I jumped in early just in case we get any new national MPEG 4 stations. Doubtful but I wanted to be "safe."

#25 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

If you can use an antenna for receiving your local digital stations, the HR10-250 will likely give you several years of service before there's enough content that's MPEG-4 only that you care about. And in any event would still work with your local broadcast channels over the air.

If you cannot get your locals via antenna, the HR10-250 is probably of limited value to you since in general much of what is in HD that people want is from their local channels/networks.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...