Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HELP 5 LNB Dish and Chimney Mount!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RoccoP

RoccoP

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

I was about to have my 5 LNB dish installed by Haftstead (SP) and the installer came and would not install it on my Brick Chimney where my old dish is installed. Is Chimney install of this dish supported by Direct TV? Any supportiing papers that show that this disf can be mounted on a chimney? Any phone numbers at direct TV I should ask for to help me out. The call I made today did nothing to help. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Rocco--

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:47 PM

Ironwood mounted my 5 LNB dish to my chimney. My old dish 3LNB was mounted to my woodshake roof. the 5 LNB was too wobly there, a supervisor moved it to the chimney.

#3 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

Likewise. Ironwood used my existing chiminey mounted GainMaster J mount for the AT9 and added two of the outriggers for added stability.

#4 OFFLINE   nlk10010

nlk10010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

I was about to have my 5 LNB dish installed by Haftstead (SP) and the installer came and would not install it on my Brick Chimney where my old dish is installed. Is Chimney install of this dish supported by Direct TV? Any supportiing papers that show that this disf can be mounted on a chimney? Any phone numbers at direct TV I should ask for to help me out. The call I made today did nothing to help. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Rocco--

Good question. I'm in NY area and would like to know if the installer is going to be able to replace my Phase III (bolted to the chimney with lag bolts) with the new dish (similarly bolted). I won't let anyone put a hole in my roof. OTOH, I just read in another thread about a "2nd Gen" dish that should be smaller and lighter; I might want to wait for that regardless.

My $.02: if D* doesn't get this dish size issue straightened out they're going to lose subscribers. I understand that the size isn't much of a problem for some but I feel pretty comfortable saying it IS an issue for many (including me).

=NLK=

#5 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

Good question. I'm in NY area and would like to know if the installer is going to be able to replace my Phase III (bolted to the chimney with lag bolts) with the new dish (similarly bolted). I won't let anyone put a hole in my roof. OTOH, I just read in another thread about a "2nd Gen" dish that should be smaller and lighter; I might want to wait for that regardless.

My $.02: if D* doesn't get this dish size issue straightened out they're going to lose subscribers. I understand that the size isn't much of a problem for some but I feel pretty comfortable saying it IS an issue for many (including me).

=NLK=

I don't see what the problem is as long as you don't mind more holes being drilled in your chimney as the mounting centers on the AT9 J-mount are farther apart then on earlier dishes. This may be some sort of policy of your local installer and not any kind of DirecTV rule, and in fact I think DirecTV has said that the new dish should be chimney or pole mounted because of the weight. A call to DirecTV Installation might clarify the matter since they are in direct contact with the independant installers around the country.

#6 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

Page 5 of the installation manual shows a dish mounted on a chimney, using a strap around the chimney.

#7 OFFLINE   RoccoP

RoccoP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

Page 5 of the installation manual shows a dish mounted on a chimney, using a strap around the chimney.

If you don't mind me asking page 5 of what installation manual. Can I get a copy of this page anywhere?

Thanks

--Rocco--

#8 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

http://www.solidsign...tall_manual.pdf

#9 OFFLINE   Proc

Proc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:42 PM

I was bored out of my mind one night and the D* Installer "How to" video for the AT9 Ka/Ku dish came on Channel 592. They said during the show that the AT9 can be installed anywhere the Triple LNB was. With that said, it is one big dish. I am still using the Triple LNB paired with the H20 because I wanted the H20s superior OTA capability.

#10 OFFLINE   DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

My installer said they would never mount it on a chimney because over time it will erode the structure enough to bring it down. Who knows.

#11 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

My installer said they would never mount it on a chimney because over time it will erode the structure enough to bring it down. Who knows.

Really! Over time like . . . sometime short of the next ice age? I'll bet he had to dig deep for that excuse.

#12 OFFLINE   nlk10010

nlk10010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

I don't see what the problem is as long as you don't mind more holes being drilled in your chimney as the mounting centers on the AT9 J-mount are farther apart then on earlier dishes. This may be some sort of policy of your local installer and not any kind of DirecTV rule, and in fact I think DirecTV has said that the new dish should be chimney or pole mounted because of the weight. A call to DirecTV Installation might clarify the matter since they are in direct contact with the independant installers around the country.

Everybody's different. As a general rule, the bigger and heavier the dish is the more difficult it is to get it mounted properly. Otherwise we'd all be using those humongous satellite dishes we still see in rural (and some urban) areas. The fact that D* recommends it be mounted only in certain places in certain ways speaks to this.

For me it's simply that the AT9 is so large it couldn't be mounted without blocking my neighbor's dishes. For others it may simply be too large to mount at all (maybe they have a limited selection of physical locations, like on an apartment or condo terrace or porch). As well, the larger the surface area the more likely it's going to be shifted by wind. And the larger the lags and bolts the more work there is to the job and the more likely it is that the installer won't do it correctly; i.e. won't mount it tight enough with the right bolts. And I CAN'T use a strap mount.

You're right: you get a good installer and, ideally, either they'll do it right or refuse to do it at all. But it IS more work and, IMHO, you are going to have this situation where some simply won't want to do it.

So I agree with you, in theory; it CAN be mounted on a brick surface correctly, with nice fat lag bolts (although it still will be subject to more stress than the smaller dish, depending on how it's shielded). But my feeling is that, for whatever reason, far fewer people will be able to have it mounted properly and, as a result, D* will lose them. Hopefully the rumoured new dish will mitigate that effect.

=NLK=

#13 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:11 PM

I think you hit it right there: they're going to lose customers if they can't fix this dish issue. Most covenants for condos, townhouses, and even housing developments in the last 10 years limit dishes to 24" in diameter. From the webcast, the dish LOOKS nicer (the LNB's are all 1 rather than the bizarre extension on the AT-9), but doesn't really look much, if any, smaller. The slide itself, though, says its lighter, cheaper, and smaller...we'll see.

#14 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

The covenants that limit dishes to 24" in diameter run afoul of federal law, which prohibits restrictions on dishes or antennas smaller than 1 meter (36").

As long as its on your property (which includes your balcony in a condo), the HOA can't restrict your ability to install the AT9.

All that said, dumb-ass installers can certainly restrict your ability to install the AT9 :)

#15 OFFLINE   landcbrewer

landcbrewer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

It's all about liability.

Really! Over time like . . . sometime short of the next ice age? I'll bet he had to dig deep for that excuse.

Don't underestimate the ability of idiots to sue over something the defendent has no control over.
C.

#16 OFFLINE   RoccoP

RoccoP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:24 PM

Well I'm still between a rock and a hardplace as I can't get the installer to install it on my chimney. He says the Direct TV installation manual is wrong and they are going to revise it. I've said get me someone from Direct TV to say that and I'll accept their answer but still no luck. Does anyone on this forum know a senior Direct TV contact that can help me out? This is going on too long and I'm at an impass.

--Rocco--

#17 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:12 AM

One thing you could try is going to site an pulling up some of the Sr. Management roles. If call a local California corporate line and demand to speak to 1 of them, you might have some luck that way. You're not actually going to talk to 1 of them, but they'll triage you likely to a more senior team or if you're lucky someone in the executive admin. pool, who should end up getting something for you.

On a side note, though, can't you just try a different contractor?

Well I'm still between a rock and a hardplace as I can't get the installer to install it on my chimney. He says the Direct TV installation manual is wrong and they are going to revise it. I've said get me someone from Direct TV to say that and I'll accept their answer but still no luck. Does anyone on this forum know a senior Direct TV contact that can help me out? This is going on too long and I'm at an impass.

--Rocco--

#18 OFFLINE   RoccoP

RoccoP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

On a side note, though, can't you just try a different contractor?

I wish I could. Direct TV arranged for this installation and they are absorbing the cost. I wish I could get this cleared up. Either Direct TV should force the vendor to mount it on the chimney or tell me it can't be done.

--Rocco--

#19 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:26 AM

--Rocco--

I wonder what they would say if you installed a wood mounting pad on the chimney yourself onto which the dish could be mounted, thereby eliminating the need for them to drill into the brick. When I moved my old dish, a Channelmaster Gainmaster which is 36" wide, from my roof to my chimney so as to avoid drilling holes in the brand new roof I was having installed, I used that method to avoid drilling really big lag bolt holes in the brick, and to allow for any new dish upgrades that might come along that might require different mounting centers and thus more holes. My AT9 is now installed on the same 2" J-mount. You can mount the pad with a number of those hammer in type expansion connectors that go through the pad and into the brick which require much smaller holes and provide a really good mechanical connection. The wood has to be thick enough to take a long enough lag to provide stability for the dish and you can make it long enough to mount a couple of outriggers on the J-Mount. I used some redwood that I had left over from a deck project as it is impervious to the elements. Of course the pad makes the whole installation look even larger and many might say even more unattractive than just the AT9 alone but if that isn't an issue it might be a solution to the problem with the installer since you are providing a "not brick" mounting surface that would make the installation the same as mounting the dish on a wood wall.

spam firewall