Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv values your privacy...not :)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:42 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=53438

{in} the pdf file- in the link above- for the webcast appears to list a valid account number, name and phone number. [EDIT]
nahh...they screwed up!

doubt the web address would work as it's probably internal right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:28 PM

i can't believe they deleted the tivo thread. I guess pointing out a major corporations mistakes is against their TOS.

Hope that's not the case here.

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

i can't believe they deleted the tivo thread. I guess pointing out a major corporations mistakes is against their TOS.

Hope that's not the case here.

What you talkin' 'bout News? Who deleted a thread?

#4 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

What you talkin' 'bout News? Who deleted a thread?

over on the tivo community:

i posted that directv had issued their press package thingie and included someones personal information in the PDF.

The post was included in a long thread about the webcast in general.

instead of just deleting just the personal info, they deleted the entire thread including everyone's hard typed contributions. What's disconcerting is in other cases where people 'broke the rules', they just deleted a single post.

I also stand by the opinion that I just published what directv issued to millions of people and while the phone number could justifiably be deleted, the rest of the info should have stood. I think DTV should be embarrassed and give a lifetime of service to those poor people. And I also think i shouldn't be punished for just pointing out a mistake nor the cause of others losing their posts.

#5 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:06 PM

Ah TCF, they do have their own way of dealing with issues. I guess erasing the entire Webcast was their way of addressing this. Sad.

#6 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:43 PM

the official response to the deletion:

The thread was removed because somebody's personal identifying information was included in the thread. That person does not post here and gave no consent for that information to be released. As it states in the user agreement, we will remove anything that violates somebody's privacy without their consent.

This thread is closed, and this topic will not be opened again.

In the future Lee Espinoza, please contact a moderator privately if you have any questions about a moderating decision.
-----
keep in mind over there they have locked tons of threads with TOS violations but not deleted them. For some reason they couldn't just edit the info out though, they had to toss everyone's ideas in the trash. Tragic. I'd hate to think the mod didn't know how to delete just the offending post. They wanted to just bury the whole directv mistake. It's painfully obvious.

#7 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

Ah TCF, they do have their own way of dealing with issues. I guess erasing the entire Webcast was their way of addressing this. Sad.

---------------
It's a privacy thing 'ya know...here's their policy...I don't know why they would kill an entire thread, unless some posters replied with the same info(including URL's)
as the original...........
-----------------------
Disclosure of Personal Information

AV Science Corporation/AVS Forum, Inc. does not disclose your personally identifying information to any third parties for any purpose without your prior consent unless required by law to do so. All reasonable care is taken by staff handling personal information to ensure its security both offline and online. It is our policy to destroy server access and personal information provided during the technical support process upon completion of the technical support incident.

It’s also important to be aware that when you voluntarily provide personal information (e.g., last name, address, phone number) in a posting on the bulletin board, that information is publicly available and may be used by someone in a manner unintended by you. For that reason, we discourage the offering of any personally identifying information within the message board itself.

#8 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

---------------
It's a privacy thing 'ya know...here's their policy...I don't know why they would kill an entire thread, unless some posters replied with the same info(including URL's)
as the original...........
-----------------------

mods can edit anything and everything...with the deletion of the name/acct number/phone number, all would be good and no one's privacy would be violated. Period. They chose to bury the entire thread including things not even on the topic. It's clear there were other forces at work.

#9 OFFLINE   lee1203

lee1203

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

but the thread has more info in it than just personal identifying information it had info that would help directv subs make informed decisions I think they should let me reopen the thread about the DIRECTV Webcast and post the PDF but not say anything about John.

#10 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:05 PM

mods can edit anything and everything...with the deletion of the name/acct number/phone number, all would be good and no one's privacy would be violated. Period. They chose to bury the entire thread including things not even on the topic. It's clear there were other forces at work.

----------------
Um....maybe I 'dunno...maybe they had to kill all refs to the webcast that had the
info, but I somehow feel they must have been PO'ed by this more than anything...
"In the future Lee Espinoza, please contact a moderator privately if you have any questions about a moderating decision."
I guess it's a sad thing to delete all like that...let's just let it go and chalk it up to
lesson learned??:(

#11 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

and post the PDF but not say anything about John.

John who??? er ferget I said it !!:lol:

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

Guys if you are going to complain about how TC mods run their site this is not the place. It appears that DirecTV made a mistake ... hopefully they will fix that mistake. For the moment we ask that you do not draw attention to the customer who is apparently an innocent in this matter. Thank you.

James Long

#13 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:29 PM

We are also under the same guidelines as the TivoCommunity. However, the thread will not get removed. Just the PDF link for now until it is fixed. This thread does not really need to be here in this forum so it's being closed.

spam firewall