Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Goodbye D*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   barrygordon

barrygordon

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

After 10 years of being a DirecTV subscriber I have completely converted to my local Cable supplier. My decision was based on Picture Quality, costs, and supplier attitude.

I live in the Orlando FL area, and got my HD locals OTA except for CBS which gave me a waiver because of a multipath anomally. Mpeg4 was scheduled for the spring.

My cable supplier has gone all digital, and the PQ is superior to that of D*. I did A:B comparisons for 30 days. I get virtually no pixelation nor rain fade. I will get "Pole fade" when a car hits a telco pole carrying the cable. All local HD's are there, plus all of the programming D* provides except NFL sunday (I am not a big NFL fan, for that matter I am into movies as opposed to sports).

The DVR has pluses and minuses (SA8300HD). It's user interface is fine once I left TiVo mode mentally. In fact I like it better mainly because it is instantaneous, no "Please Wait (for 2 minutes or so). None of them (3) have rebooted whereas the HR10-250 did that periodically. Using a sophisticated remote (ipronto) I have a very enjoyable interface.

I dropped DSL (Bell South partner with D*) and took the Roadrunner ISP on the cable (I have my own domain and use an email forwarder so my email address never changes. My BW is now a nominal 7 Mbps as opposed to 1 Mbps, the difference is startling.

I have started on the path to VoIP using Vonage. All is installed I am just waiting for the number transfer to complete.

Bottom line: For better video quality (my area), Higher IP bandwidth and equivalent phone service I will save about $60/month.

I no longer get bounced all over the place on voice menus, nor do I get different stories from different CSR's. I did have a startup problem on one DVR, Tech arrived the next day and he was very very good. Isolated the problem to a bad cable (old crimp as opposed to compression connector) fixed the problem and no charge. He even brought a new DVR with him just in case.

After about 2 weeks, I no longer miss the TiVo interface.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

Sounds like a good decision for you. I also live in the Orlando area and wouldn't touch Brighthouse with a ten-foot pole. I don't have HD so that doesn't matter to me. Local PQ in analog was horrible when I dumped them in '98, plus their refusal to carry FSN Florida, their dispute with Sun Sports (I am more into sports than you, I guess) and the availablity of the ESPN alternates on DTV (cable doesn't have them) clinch it for me.

Can't speak to Roadrunner, but my DSL service is fine and my DTivos and R15 are working well for me.

Good luck with Brighthouse. Maybe we'll see you back in 'when D* gets their new sats up and Orlando gets HD locals.

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

Cool Barry, who is your cable provider? I see FLWingNut says it's Brighthouse. Never heard of them. But hey, if they're doin' what you want/need, more power to ya buddy.

10 Years is a long time to subscribe to DTV. I will have my 10 year anniversary this year.

Good luck Bud!!! And please, report back if you run into problems.

#4 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

It just depends on the location and the situation.

Where I live, Comcast's service is so bad and the quality so terrible...I have no choice but to go to D* and DSL. I had Vonage, but the packet loss with Comcast was so bad...Voip was unusable.

Good luck with the new service! Report back on how it works over time.

#5 OFFLINE   Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:12 PM

Goodbye.....

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:49 PM

Brighthouse is a smaller cable company that was spun off of Time Warner Cable. They are their own privately held cable company but still use Time Warner’s Road Runner network for broadband, but have done a lot more in the way of speed upgrades then TWC. Brighthouse RR is offering the same speed as Verizons FIOS, in some areas. They have systems mainly in Florida but Alabama, Michigan and Indiana as well.

Don’t know how true it is but I recall reading somewhere a long time ago, Brighthouse was initially created by TWC selling off a few cable systems in order to acquire AOL to settle some regulatory issues.

Good luck with Brighthouse Barry! I dropped D* in favor of Time Warner earlier this month and don’t regret it one bit. Road Runner has been rock solid for me for 18 months, and now digital cable is providing me with true HD content and a very affordable HD DVR (same one as yours).
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   floridaguy

floridaguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:17 AM

I just made the switch to Brighthouse as well having been a D* subscriber for two years. The 8300 HD-DVR is performing well, the interface is fine and there was no cost for that piece of equipment versus several hundred dollars for an HD-DVR from D* (Which cannot record local HD channels). I'm getting many local HD's plus their HD pack and the quality is excellent (I just upgraded to HD, did not have that with D*). I already had BH's cable modem service, which they just upgraded from 5 to 7 Mbps. I checked the speed on a computer with verizon dsl and it registered right around 1Mbps.

If you're going to BH from a sat service, they have an incentive for the first year as well. The installers were very good, they ran new cable to three TV's (two of which I did not get boxes for so no additional fees). I also got the first month free for all services.

Bottom line, so far very happy with the move to BH, very good HD-DVR at no cost, and more HD channels.

#8 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:55 AM

"Pole fade" can last a very long time after a hurricane, or so I've heard. :D

#9 OFFLINE   DS0816

DS0816

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:33 AM

I'm in the Detroit DMA and have two cable providers -- Comcast and WOW! Internet and Cable -- and both have plenty flaws in picture quality for local stations.

Having recently got HDTV, I chose to upgrade my DirecTV -- had a single LNB from 1998 and now a 5 LNB installed Feb. 7 -- and am plenty comfortable. (Locals, from DirecTV, are crisp -- and my dad says he never had such a clear picture quality from the two cable companies. We first got cable August 25, 1980.)

DirecTV's pricing was better as well; the cable companies want about $12 for an HD receiver plus $7 each receiver. First one is not free. They're all priced accordingly. With DirecTV, well, we know the pricing.

I like DirecTV's lineup better -- and am a believer, not a naysayer, in its future and what programming will come subscribers' way.

I was discouraged back in 2001, when Dish Network beat DirecTV in launching more satellites in space and bringing in a greater array of channels (like the full Discovery suites, the Biography Channel, and History International). But I held on, and DirecTV brought in those channels in October 2001. So it taught me a lesson in patience. And I feel DirecTV will become second to no one in the future of HD programming. I may be wrong, but I'll keep the faith.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...