Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official DBSTalk ViP622 DVR Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cpufixer1

cpufixer1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

Is the HMDI/DVI HDCP protected ? My plasma has a DVD-D and can not accept a HDCP protected DVI.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

Just finished reading it. Excellent. Thanks to the authors.

#23 OFFLINE   portagent

portagent

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

Bravo, this is a great review, you can tell a lot of work went into this, good job.

My Question: 2mpeg 941 vz 4mpeg VIP622. Does this allow me to capture more programs offered in HD format in the future, or is it a faster chip, or what?

I dont seem to be able to find information on 4mpeg.

Thanks
Louis
happy 942 user

#24 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

I think as others said, this review may not mean alot to the 200 who have theirs, but the, (and we wont quote any numbers here), but those for the future. I had alot of people say these guys did a great job. And like others have said, the more there are, the better for those who are looking to get one. See, I said something nice.:)

#25 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

Bravo, this is a great review, you can tell a lot of work went into this, good job.

My Question: 2mpeg 941 vz 4mpeg VIP622. Does this allow me to capture more programs offered in HD format in the future, or is it a faster chip, or what?

I dont seem to be able to find information on 4mpeg.

Thanks
Louis
happy 942 user

MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 are different standards for audio/video encoding and compression. Because MPEG-4 is much more effecient and compresses better, it takes less bandwidth to transmit and allows more data to travel through a fixed amount of bandwidth, i.e. Satellite transmissions. Both DirectTV and Dish Network are transitioning to MPEG-4 to allow them to transmit more channels than they could with MPEG-2 encoding.

Since MPEG-4 is a different encoding method it requires a different decoder (read hardware) to process the stream so you can view it. As of 2006, Dish Network has said that all future HD programming will be MPEG-4 and therefor you will need one of their MPEG-4 compatible receivers to view it (ViP211 or ViP622 DVR).
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#26 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

Very nice job on the review!

One thing I've noticed on the 622 that I didn't see in the review is that when you want to again watch a recorded show you have stopped watching, the default is to "resume" not "start over." :)

Another thing that's not as nice, in my opinion, is with my 721 remote I could press "mute" and (after setting my TV to do this) get closed captioning when the TV was muted. Not a necessity, certainly, but just a nice little extra. I can't see how to do that with the 622.

#27 OFFLINE   portagent

portagent

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the explanation Rob,

I have my $100 ready now for April 1st.

regards,
Louis
Future former 942 user
:eek2:

#28 OFFLINE   shamus46

shamus46

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:27 PM

Outstanding review, I can’t understand how people are confusing it with a Dish manual, this is much better.

#29 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:47 PM

I'm a current 921 user who will be upgrading to a 622 on 4/1. This review was fantastic and will make the 622 transition much less mysterious.

#30 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, we appreciate it.
Rob

#31 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

wow that was one snazzy looking review you did.

Hoever one thing I was looking for was screencaps of How SD & HD pictures can be formatted on the TV1 HD outputs, SD outputs, and TV2 Outputs. I've heard that on SD out there is no formatting, it's just 16x9 cropped, and 4x3 normal. But I'd like to see pics of this thanx!

#32 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

wow that was one snazzy looking review you did.

Hoever one thing I was looking for was screencaps of How SD & HD pictures can be formatted on the TV1 HD outputs, SD outputs, and TV2 Outputs. I've heard that on SD out there is no formatting, it's just 16x9 cropped, and 4x3 normal. But I'd like to see pics of this thanx!

That would be good information to have, maybe we can include it in a future revision.

In the meantime, the modes for TV1 are: Normal (full image on HD Widescreen content, Black bars on the sides for 4:3 content), Stretch (Stretches 4:3 content to fill a 16:9 screen), Zoom (Zooms in 4:3 content to fill a 16:9 screen), Partial Zoom (Combination of zoom and stetch so 4:3 content will fill a 16:9 screen), and Gray Bars (Replaces black bars on 4:3 content with gray bars).

As for TV2 in dual mode, if the channel is an SD channel you can't change the mode, it is normal 4:3. If the channel is an HD 16:9 channel you can choose between normal (which cuts off the sides of the show, or letterbox which puts black bars on top and bottom and keeps the 16:9 aspect ratio.
Rob

#33 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

I've heard that on SD out there is no formatting, it's just 16x9 cropped, and 4x3 normal. But I'd like to see pics of this thanx!

At the moment TV1 is exactly what you would see on the HD feeds just downrezzed. If you're watching 16:9 HD and your HD display is set to 16:9 your SD output is stretched. As you peg through the screen stretch options appropriate for the HD side the SD follows suit (as if it were a 16:9 display).

TV2 is like the ViP-211 and has less options (SD output is always "4:3" showing 4:3 SD feeds and either letterbox or zoomed in showing 16:9 HD feeds).

I say at the moment because when I first got my ViP-211 it behaved exactly like the TV1 output on the ViP-622 DVR. E* has since "fixed" that so now HD and SD stretch is controlled seperately. As of today the 622 has not been "fixed". (The ViP-211 allows all the appropriate modes in HD but limits the SD side to full screen 4:3 or letterbox/zoom if showing a 16:9 feed.)

The current TV1 modes are: "normal" "stretch" "partial zoom" "zoom" and "gray bar"
The TV2 modes are "normal" or "letterbox" with letterbox disabled when watching 4:3 feeds.

I see Rob was answering at the same time ... :D

#34 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

Ok so basically the SD output on TV1 can be sorta thought of as Anamorphic?

I kinda like that for DVDs, so hopefully when they make an update they leave that in and possible label it as Squeeze when htey isolate the HD and SD formatting, like the 211 and 811 has

#35 OFFLINE   Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

ViP622/ViP722 Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:33 AM

Ok so basically the SD output on TV1 can be sorta thought of as Anamorphic?

That is correct. I like it for recording to DVDs myself, so I can record them as widescreen.

I also like your request for adding a section to the review that shows all of the different zoom modes. Maybe using the HDNet Test Patterns to show what effects each of the modes have on the picture. I'll talk this over with Rob and maybe we can add an addendum.
ViP722 DVR: L612RJKD-N / 1415RJKD - Single User Mode
ViP622 DVR: L612RBDD-N / 1710RBDD - Dual User Mode
SATS: 61.5/110/119/129 all DishPro Plus with DPP44
TV: Sony KD-34XBR960 CRT HDTV
Dish Network Customer since April 1998

#36 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:17 AM

You mention in only one place one of the few negatives of the vip622. It doesn't support NTSC (analog) OTA. I would mention it both in the front and the conclusions.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#37 OFFLINE   Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:39 AM

I can understand your point of view but read a little further. It compares the 622 with the 921 and 942. Also take a look at sections 4.1, 5.1, 7.2 and 8 (just to name a few). There is stuff in there you won't find in the manual.

Alot of work went into this to not only make it informative, but to outline how it stacks up against other DVR's in Dish Network's lineup.

Well I will definately look through it. As I mentioned I didn't want to sound like unappreciative but seeing the first 6 pages reminded me of the manual. If there are tips, comparisons and opinions in there then I will definately read through!

#38 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:08 AM

I liked the review but I still haven't been able to find out how long the pause buffer is on the 622. It is 2 hours on the 921 and I'm hoping that it is at least as long on the 622. Anyone know?

#39 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:34 PM

Nice job fellows. Do I have your permission to print it out to keep by the equipment when I get a 622? I suspect that your manual is far better than the one Dish will supply.

Ghostwriter- if you are looking for some "conclusions" that does not sound like a manual writing style, go to page 44 and read backwards. They have some opinions posted near the end of the manual. I agree the entire work reads more like a manual than an editorial review but IMHO, this is a good thing. Already read Scotts "first impression install review" and there are several posted first impressions from users here but what was lacking for non-owners is a manual on how it works. That we now have. I like it that way!

I have one suggestion for the authors- Would you consider making your excellent pdf into an interactive DVD? Now that would be a great thing to have for first time users. The DVD menu could be the hot link table of contents. There are some easy DVD authoring tools for doing this in an automated process but I don't recall seeing it done with a PDF file.

#40 OFFLINE   TOAST

TOAST

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

NICE JOB info is right on.

spam firewall