Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official DBSTalk ViP622 DVR Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:44 PM

Nice job fellows. Do I have your permission to print it out to keep by the equipment when I get a 622? I suspect that your manual is far better than the one Dish will supply.

Thank you very much, and yes, of course you or anyone else for that matter has permission to print it out for personal use.

As to the whole, Review vs. Manual talk, I guess you could call this a "Revual" :D , it's really both. It started out as a "First Look" type doc and really out grew that so we started calling it a Review, maybe Overview would have been more accurate. Regardless the information is there to supplement what your going to find in the manual and help prospective customers determine whether or not it's something they would want to purchase/lease.

Anyways, we're glad that everyone is enjoying it.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:09 PM

Thanks, I have a nice color laser printer so the pdf will be on the way to that tomorrow.

I didn't read the whole thing in study mode but will later as I offload it to my PDA for those moments I have time.

Yes, I do plan to order after 4-1 but may need to delay the install for mid May because I will be traveling quite a bit in April and first week of May. NAB is one of those weeks. Their 4-1 timing couldn't have been worse for me so we'll see.

#43 OFFLINE   pajer

pajer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:21 AM

is there a way for the 622 to allow a 50/50 split of the pip or just the larger / smaller sizes?

#44 OFFLINE   sb987

sb987

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:43 AM

Really a great, detailed review!

On the last page, it says on April 1 current owners of a 942 can upgrade for $99, $50 more than a new sub. Does that mean on April 1 new subs will only pay $49 for the VIP622?

#45 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:57 AM

I believe they are referring to people who leased the 942 for $250 being able to trade it in for a 622 for $299 less $200 rebate ($99) and end up paying $349 for their unit. That is what is only $50 more than a new sub.

There is no deal coming where a new sub can get a ViP-622 for $49.

#46 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:01 PM

Yes, we were saying exactly what James posted. Sorry for the confusion.
Rob

#47 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:02 PM

is there a way for the 622 to allow a 50/50 split of the pip or just the larger / smaller sizes?

Just the larger or smaller sizes, and you can move them around the screen. There is no 50/50 split like you can do on most newer TVs.
Rob

#48 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

The 50/50 split is something that I really wish they would add. I would love this feature for sports.

#49 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:47 PM

I agree. I use it on my TV for that a lot, but with 2 different receivers right now. Would be nice if the receiver had that built into it.
Rob

#50 OFFLINE   gregmisc

gregmisc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:34 PM

Great Job! Lays out information needed for non-622 owners and 622 owners.
Greg !pride
DishPro 500 w/34switch
-SONY 42" TV KDF-42WE655
Dish 942

#51 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

Great read. My install date is Tuesday the 28 and the manual has put me to sleep a couple times. Your review was just what I needed.

Thanks,

Doyle
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#52 OFFLINE   lrk2

lrk2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:25 PM

Great review, lots of detail.

I've ordered one and it should be installed on 3/12. Too long!

I currently record my OTA HD channels and SD Comcast channels using Windows MCE. I'm planning on hooking TV1 up to my HDTV, but would like to use the TV2 output to record SD channels on my Media Center PC using an IR blaster to control TV2.

So, is it possible to control TV2 using IR, or only UHF?

Thanks, Larry

#53 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:52 PM

I believe you can only do TV2 using UHF. I have not heard of being able to control TV2 with IR.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#54 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:04 AM

Someone please verify this for me, but something that those wanting to bring cable into the "off air" input is that I don't believe that it will demodulate "cable" signals. You will only get up to channel 12 on the cable line. Anything above that would be lost.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

2-13 are VHF and would be tunable IF they were in ATSC.
14-69 UHF OTA also have their counterparts on 'cable' with different numbers.
There are a lot of cable channels in the gaps between the OTA VHF channels and between OTA VHF and UHF.

The biggest issue is would any cable channels be in ATSC? That's all the 622 can handle even if it could see the channel numbers.

#56 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:43 PM

The biggest issue is would any cable channels be in ATSC? That's all the 622 can handle even if it could see the channel numbers.

What the industry calls an ATSC tuner is really an 8VSB tuner. When cable companies started providing digital service they did use 8VSB but they abandoned it because it was very inefficient (for cable tranmission). The standard for digital channels via cable is QAM. There is not any DBS satellite receivers on the market that have a QAM tuner and there likely never will be. There isn't any cable STB that has a satellite tuner either and there likely never will be. Cable and satellite are two competing vendors and they are not going to provide equipment to tune "the other guys" channels.

Some of the (older) satellite receivers do have NTSC tuners so they can pick up either OTA analog or analog cable channels but, as noted, the ViP622 only has an ATSC tuner for OTA digital channels.
Bill R

#57 OFFLINE   Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

Good work, but please note that an LNB is not a "low noise blocker", as defined on the opening page...but is, in fact, a Low Noise Block downconverter.

#58 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:07 PM

Good work, but please note that an LNB is not a "low noise blocker", as defined on the opening page...but is, in fact, a Low Noise Block downconverter.

Dang, google let me down ;) Thanks.
Rob

#59 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

2-13 are VHF and would be tunable IF they were in ATSC.
14-69 UHF OTA also have their counterparts on 'cable' with different numbers.
There are a lot of cable channels in the gaps between the OTA VHF channels and between OTA VHF and UHF.

Correct, I forgot about that little catch.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#60 OFFLINE   voyagerbob

voyagerbob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

Is there a limit to the numer of timers per tuner or collectively?

Thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...