Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official DBSTalk ViP622 DVR Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:36 AM

Great job. I referred to it while I was hooking up my 622 last night. I especially liked the time estimates about the downloads. It eliminated the "did it or did it not lockup" moments we always see during an initial install.

The 622, like many other units doesn't indicate when it is rebooting. the screen just goes black, you see all the LEDs on the 622 light up for a millisecond, and then you wonder whether or not it is coming back on its own or whether you have to turn it on manually. I almost miss the silver coin medallion from the 921. At least I KNEW it was booting up again, even if it did take 5 minutes to do so.

E*, on a future release I suggest giving SOME kind of visual cue to help the impatient among us know when to leave the receiver alone or not......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:59 PM

Moved the Phone Line converstation to its own thread. Ok.. lets get back on topic, I agree with rfowkes.. that one wondered off a bit. I deleted your post rfowkes because it no longer pertains.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=53902
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#63 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:55 PM

Moved the Native pass through posts over to another thread to allow for further discussion on this topic.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=53907
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#64 OFFLINE   Walt C

Walt C

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:48 AM

I just noticed the 622 main video out is via HDMI connection. The 921 used a DVI output. Unless I'm mistaken this means another $50 (or more) out of our pockets to buy a new cable. Unless the installer will provide the cable:lol:

#65 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,357 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

Or $20 (perhaps even $10) if you shop around.

Can't stay in the past forever. HDMI is better.

#66 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:09 AM

Don't know how valid this is, but my installer advised me to call dish and tell them thsat he did not have the HDMI cable on the truck and requesst that they send me one. Of course, I bought my own beforehand, but if I can get one from dish, I'll return the one I spent $60.00 on. Actually, if dish would just give me a credit, I'd be happy.

#67 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:14 AM

You can also reuse the existing cable and buy a HDMI-DVI converter for $25. I got a Monster brand one that works fine...... (But Best Buy doesn't carry the DVI Female-Male DVI you need to reuse your existing cable - you probably have to go online to find one)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#68 OFFLINE   rfowkes

rfowkes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

I just noticed the 622 main video out is via HDMI connection. The 921 used a DVI output. Unless I'm mistaken this means another $50 (or more) out of our pockets to buy a new cable. Unless the installer will provide the cable:lol:

Ouch! Not necessary to spend that much, especially on digital cables of relatively short lengths. There are lots of places on the web to get good cables very inexpensively. I personally use monoprice.com and have been very happy with the quality and the service.
-RAF-

DVR-HD #1: ViP622 | S/W L447RJKD-N | Bootstrap 1711RBDD
DVR-HD #2: ViP622 | S/W L447RBDD-N | Bootstrap 1711RBDD
DVR-HD #3: ViP622 | S/W L447RJKD-N | Bootstrap 1710RBDD
DVR-HD #4: Vip722 | S/W L447RJKD-N | Bootstrap 1715RJKD
USB 2.0 external drives: Two Western Digital "My Book" Essentials 500 gigabytes each
PocketDish AV700E

My Web Site

#69 OFFLINE   Vettman

Vettman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

I'm having the 622 installed next week. The receiver will be located in a bedroom approx. 75 feet from the dish 1000, 44 switch and VIP411 (in my living room). My questions: should I expect the installer to hook-up the phone line as part of the install? (phone outlet is 20 ft. from the receiver) Also should I expect the installer to run a 3rd coax for the OTA antenna?

#70 OFFLINE   redbird

redbird

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

[quote name='Bill R']What the industry calls an ATSC tuner is really an 8VSB tuner. When cable companies started providing digital service they did use 8VSB but they abandoned it because it was very inefficient (for cable tranmission). The standard for digital channels via cable is QAM. There is not any DBS satellite receivers on the market that have a QAM tuner and there likely never will be. There isn't any cable STB that has a satellite tuner either and there likely never will be. Cable and satellite are two competing vendors and they are not going to provide equipment to tune "the other guys" channels.

Just for reference, the 3750 is QAM and the 811 can be switched to QAM in the menu.

#71 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,357 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:38 PM

IIRC it is a flavor of QAM that E* cooked up for multiple unit installs. I doubt if there is compatability between it an what cable does.

#72 OFFLINE   Bucko

Bucko

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:05 PM

I had not read much about the wonderful 622's multimedia functions, but then discovered it in one of the menus. I loaded a group of digital photos onto the 622 hard drive thru the convenient usb 2 port on the front, using a simple card reader and compact flash card from my camera. After loading, I reviewed them with such greater clarity and size than on my pc monitor. Also a great slide show function. This capability should definitely be publicized! I was about to purchase a separate device for displaying large format digital photos, but saved that by having the 622!!!

#73 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk Bucko and thank you for your feedback.

That is a great idea. We didn't think about having a section on that, since at time we were focusing on new features since the 942. However, now that I think about it, the Picture feature wasn't active on the 942 when Mark wrote his 942 review so it's not in there. I'll see if we can add a section on that to a later revision.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#74 OFFLINE   bff426

bff426

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:39 AM

page 26 of the review talks about audio synchronization being set to either high definition or standard definition. Can someone explain that? I have had a constant problem with audio synchronization on the Voom channels, with the audio being a fraction of a second ahead of the video. Very annoying! (I have the 942, a part in considering upgrading to the 622)

#75 OFFLINE   leatherman

leatherman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:05 AM

You can also reuse the existing cable and buy a HDMI-DVI converter for $25. I got a Monster brand one that works fine...... (But Best Buy doesn't carry the DVI Female-Male DVI you need to reuse your existing cable - you probably have to go online to find one)

My VIP622 was installed on 4/4/2006. I had to buy a hdmi to dvi cable to attach the receiver to my SONY 65" TV. I have been using DISH HD with a DVI connection for 1 1/2 year with no problems. For about a week, the new VIP622 worked well but, all of a sudden, the DVI signal quit working. I exchanged my $150 Monster hdmi/dvi cable for another thinking it might me a bad cable but no change.
Talked with DISH support on Saturday 4/15 and they first tried to tell me i probably had a bad tv. finally, they put me on hold while they tested an hdmi/dvi cable in their lab and had similar results. they said they were able to mess with the sequence of power up in the lab and could get it to work and that may work for me on a temporary basis. They said that the engineers would be working to fix the problem and that the fix would be included in a future support download. I cant get the power up sequence to work for me so i am watching everything through the s-video connection through my VCR. This sucks. Anyone else having problems?

#76 OFFLINE   leatherman

leatherman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:35 AM

My VIP622 was installed on 4/4/2006. I had to buy a hdmi to dvi cable to attach the receiver to my SONY 65" TV. I have been using DISH HD with a DVI connection for 1 1/2 year with no problems. For about a week, the new VIP622 worked well but, all of a sudden, the DVI signal quit working. I exchanged my $150 Monster hdmi/dvi cable for another thinking it might me a bad cable but no change.
Talked with DISH support on Saturday 4/15 and they first tried to tell me i probably had a bad tv. finally, they put me on hold while they tested an hdmi/dvi cable in their lab and they received similar results. they said they were able to mess with the sequence of power up in the lab and could get it to work and that may work for me on a temporary basis. They said that the engineers would be working to fix the problem and that the fix would be included in a future support download. They said it was not a problem with the receiver or the TV but a problem in the communication with the two through the HDMI/DVI convertor cable. I cant get the power up sequence to work for me so i am watching everything through the s-video connection through my VCR-believe it or not, this is supperior to the component connection through my VCR. This sucks. Anyone else having problems? I am assuming that a "fix" downloaded last week that caused the new problem.

#77 OFFLINE   dirtydan

dirtydan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:17 AM

Do you turn on tv first? I have instructions for my Toshiba that the communication has to have tv turned on first, ymmv

Edit: also use reverse order when shutting down..

#78 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

My 3rd ViP622 was installed and activated April 27, 2006. The original install date was April 14, 2006, then pushed to April 24, 2006, then pushed to May 5, 2006. The installer arrived on the April 24 install but the 622 didn't. He verified existing equipment like dishes, switches, etc. He said that if the receiver came before the May 5 install date to call his cell and he would come and activate (pretty nice!). The 622 is Version, "D." He arrived 2 minutes after the latest software version finished installing. Activation was a snap. The receiver is working great so far.

Okay, here is one thing that I guess others have not suffered. all three 622's were shipped without a component cable included. There is a coax, S-video, and composite. For those who have a component cable included, my hat is off to you.

Now If I can do the upgrade deal for my remaining 921, I'll be set until the next debut of a newer model with more bells and whistles.

#79 OFFLINE   gsxltd

gsxltd

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:47 AM

Great document very detailed. The issue I have with this is that it states that all 3 tuners are HD. I am currently a DTV customer and I am considering moving to Dish because I am getting tired of waiting for them to release their mpeg4 HD DVR. In the past week I have spoken to 4 different people at Dish about the VIP622 and I have specifically asked if both SAT tuners are HD and been told that 1 is HD and the other is SD. I was told this by 2 people in sales and I also called tech support and was told the same thing by 2 different people there as well. My thought is that they are confusing tuners with outputs? not sure. I currently have a HR10-250 and I don't want to loose the ability to record 2 HD shows simultaneously while watching another recorded program, my wife would KILL me. Can someone help clear this up for me? Thanks.

#80 OFFLINE   guruka

guruka

Troublemaker/Supporter

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:12 AM

Yes, they are confusing tuners with outputs. TV 1 is HD and TV 2 is SD.

All three tuners are HD.

.....G

Enlightenment means never having another bad thing happen to you.

Hopper + Joey
Sats: 110/119/129
Samsung PN64F5500 Plasma

spam firewall