Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official DBSTalk ViP622 DVR Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dlhuse

dlhuse

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

CSRs also have a hard time believing that you can actually record three programs at the same time.

Now a question. Am I to believe the CSR that local channel 008-00 (not to be confused with (HD 008-01) is just a mapped 8400 from the bird and not the local analog signal? If it's true why have the locals at the 8400 range?

I have gone thru the menu series, 6-9-sat locals to disable and nothing happens. HD Priority is always selected. 50% of the time, the box reboots upon exit.

CSR seemed as confused as I was and not a lot of help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

Now a question. Am I to believe the CSR that local channel 008-00 (not to be confused with (HD 008-01) is just a mapped 8400 from the bird and not the local analog signal? If it's true why have the locals at the 8400 range?

The mapping (or remapping) of channels is just that, a remapping for your convenience.

Dish has to transmit the channel somewhere, and there are lots of "channel 5" around the country... so Dish sticks them up at 8400 or wherever... then they provide a channel re-mapping feature in the receiver so at the local level your receiver can re-map the 8400 channel to your local channel number for convenience to you.

Each channel on Dish has to have a unique channel number... so they can't just push it on channel 5 for everyone who has a channel 5... so that's ultimately the reason why it has to be at 8400 or wherever.

#83 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:54 AM

Have had unit since 2/1. The code was evidently the first production run (A) Have had one hiccup and one burp. Dish threw me over there collective shoulder and got rid of the gas. I am still in love with this machine. It is an amazing wonderful piece of equipment that I'm growing into.:D

#84 OFFLINE   titansky

titansky

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:36 AM

:nono: Why has D* taken away the feature available in the 921 and 811 (EPG for OTA channels without sat subscribe)? I had a 921 and I have an 811. In my 42101 zip locals are not available from Dish. I had the EPG with both these receivers without sub to locals from D*. Now the 622 is promoted has bigger, better, wonderful, etc but the DVR functionality for OTA channels is gone. Manual timers are not a substitute for true DVR EPG point and click timer setting. Not to mention data about programs. D* has done a major disservice to the customer by taking away a very important part of the DVR's function-- local channel EPG and ease of recording. I would pay the $5 for locals from sat but it will be years or never before locals are available from D* in this area. They are busy getting HD locals avail but we've never had locals of any type avail for 10 years!! This was not disclosed in any info before making decsion to move from 921 to 622. What does it take to get this corrected?? I am very dissatisfied with loss of OTA EPG info. CS offers no help. "I'm sorry that's not available." This is entirely unacceptable. Many D* customers will be in this situation, not just me. The DVR 622 review in this forum overlooks this problem as well. HELP!!!

#85 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

:nono: Why has D* taken away the feature available in the 921 and 811 (EPG for OTA channels without sat subscribe)? I had a 921 and I have an 811.

First, Welcome titansky to DBSTalk.com. Also, as far as abbreviations go D* indicates DirectTV while E* indicates Echostar (DISH Network).

As for this feature. My understanding is you had to subscribe to locals to get EPG guide on the 921, and part 3 of the 942 review, page 63, backs that up. This was the same with the 942. No subscription, no EPG. That is why it was not mentioned in the 622 review, nothing had changed. I am not sure how/why you got that information on your 921 without having a subscription to DISH provided locals.

If DISH does not provide locals to your area, I'm curious how you could ever have had EPG information? If they don't carry the channel how do they know what is on that channel? Primetime of major networks I could understand, based on timezone, but for the smaller networks or local shows I don't get.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#86 OFFLINE   gglockner

gglockner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:15 AM

Although I did not appreciate the rude tone, I definitely agree with the critics of this review who say that it reads like an instruction manual.

What I really want to know is how easy is the DVR to program. Does it offer name based recording, or only timeslot recording? How reliable is the DVR -- does it record all programs reliably? Reading the forums on the various Dish DVRs and the latest R15 from D*, I get the impression that no one can make a reliable, easy-to-use DVR except TiVo.

So I'm sitting on the fence, waiting to see what to get when I finally upgrade to HD. The HR10-250 is a product with a limited lifespan because of the move to MPEG4, so the upcoming Series 3 TiVo looks attractive. But I'd rather stay with satellite. But I have read such criticism of the Dish DVRs and the R15 from D* that I am sitting back and waiting.

I'm much more interested in knowing whether the device will actually record my programs reliably, regardless of timeslots or conflicts. I can read the manual online to figure out how many connections it has, what kind of remote it supports, how many tuners it supports, or where to find something on the menus. And this is why the review is lacking. Too bad, since it looks like someone put a lot of time in writing the review.

#87 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:39 AM

I have had the 622 since Feb 28. I have not experienced any missed recordings. I had a Tivo and have since given it to my son so I am familiar with its capability. The 622 is very easy to program. I don't use the name based feature that much but have used it a few times. It has the ability to do one time record, first run only or daily or weekly timer based recordings. I think it is a great unit. Dish is working on activating supplemental storage through its USB port and at that point this will be a killer box in my opinion. I think there are always a some personal preferences as to how these boxes are operated. But this is a high feature box. Initially it took me awhile to get used to where some menu features were as they were not in the same location as on previous Dish DVRs but that is no different than buying a car and having the windshield washer controls in a different location. I would highly recommend it. Dish seems to be putting the effort in and the complaint level on this box surely seems much lower than on either the 921 or the 942 which were the previous generations. YMMV

..Doyle
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#88 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:42 AM

What I really want to know is how easy is the DVR to program.

Alot about this was covered in the 942 review, since the 622 interface is almost identical to the 942 we decided not to re-invent the wheel but instead point users to that review to come up to speed on the interface. Page 6 of the 622 review directs you to read the 942 review if you are not familiar with it.

Does it offer name based recording, or only timeslot recording?

This feature was in the 942 so it was not specifically listed as a new feature for 942 users, however it is listed on Page 6 as a new feature for those coming from a 921.

How reliable is the DVR -- does it record all programs reliably?

Your right, there is not a lot of information about the reliablity. A lot of that was left out at the time because this review was written in the first few days of it's release. Long time reliabity was hard to judge. I suggest that maybe you check out some of the reviews that came out later, here are a couple of links:

http://www.extremete....1956226,00.asp
http://reviews.cnet.....2.html?tag=nav

Personally I have found the reliablity great. The unit is as reliable as my 942, light years beyond what my 921 was.

Reading the forums on the various Dish DVRs and the latest R15 from D*, I get the impression that no one can make a reliable, easy-to-use DVR except TiVo.

I can imagine that this would be your opinion based on "Support Forums". This is where people come to ask for help with problems that they are having or vent their frustrations. Those that are not having problems do not post that information, for the most part. Please keep that in mind as you read through this and any other site.

... And this is why the review is lacking. Too bad, since it looks like someone put a lot of time in writing the review.

I'm sorry our review did not meet your expectations, perhaps one of the others will help you. This review was meant for 921 and 942 users that were looking to upgrade to the 622. And at the time it was written not many people have 622's so reading the manual was not an option. People wanted to know the layout of the menus, the outputs on the unit, etc ... Really I should have named the document a First Look. Hopefully you'll find the information you need in other threads here or in the other reviews I linked above.
Rob

#89 OFFLINE   robre

robre

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:19 AM

:nono: Why has D* taken away the feature available in the 921 and 811 (EPG for OTA channels without sat subscribe)? I had a 921 and I have an 811. In my 42101 zip locals are not available from Dish. I had the EPG with both these receivers without sub to locals from D*. Now the 622 is promoted has bigger, better, wonderful, etc but the DVR functionality for OTA channels is gone. Manual timers are not a substitute for true DVR EPG point and click timer setting. Not to mention data about programs. D* has done a major disservice to the customer by taking away a very important part of the DVR's function-- local channel EPG and ease of recording. I would pay the $5 for locals from sat but it will be years or never before locals are available from D* in this area. They are busy getting HD locals avail but we've never had locals of any type avail for 10 years!! This was not disclosed in any info before making decsion to move from 921 to 622. What does it take to get this corrected?? I am very dissatisfied with loss of OTA EPG info. CS offers no help. "I'm sorry that's not available." This is entirely unacceptable. Many D* customers will be in this situation, not just me. The DVR 622 review in this forum overlooks this problem as well. HELP!!!

Sorry if this has been asked before. I understand that you do not get OTA info for OTA channels without paying the ransom for locals to Dish, but do you at least get the channel listing of the scanned locals in the EPG with "no info" listed for the channels so you can easily select a channel from the EPG? Or if you do not subscribe to locals, is the only way to select a local to enter the local channel number from the remote? It is bad enough that Dish will be extorting $6 a month to watch "free" OTA HD programs after paying to own a 622 (with no HD subscription).

#90 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

If you don't subscribe to locals the current receivers (ViP series and 921/942 DVRs) will show local OTAs in the guide with no info.

You can manually set timers (very manually) and record what you are watching. Name based recording doesn't work without EPG.

#91 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:48 AM

I'm much more interested in knowing whether the device will actually record my programs reliably, regardless of timeslots or conflicts. I can read the manual online to figure out how many connections it has, what kind of remote it supports, how many tuners it supports, or where to find something on the menus. And this is why the review is lacking. Too bad, since it looks like someone put a lot of time in writing the review.

Every review I have ever read has always left questions unknown. Especially in terms of reliability. Reviews are always written early in a products life and usually with minimal runtime so personally I would question any early review that made claims in terms of reliability.

I have had my 622s for a while now. There is one know issue I am aware of dealing with missed timers and there is a work around. Personally I have not missed any events I have set timers for on both my 622s.

I also recieved what I considered a bad 622 out of the box. Resulted in a lot of reboots and what one would consider reliability. Since I have received a replacment none of the issues I had with the orginal box has surficed. I have drawn the conclusion I got a bad production unit.

Like Rob said, forums are where people come when they have issues or want to voice their opinions about features they are not happy with. You always read a negative slant on these type of forums and if I didn't I would be skeptical of the forum itself.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#92 OFFLINE   lbeck

lbeck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

Lots of posts here, and I have only scanned through them. Forgive me if my query has been addressed.

I have an old JVC DVHS receiver and I'm lusting aver the 622 since coming to this forum for other reasons. I keep reading here about "the upgrade." I purchased my receiver from an online store (not Dish Network) 5 years or so ago and installed it myself. Will Dish upgrade a user purchased/installed receiver? What's their charges? I did a Google search and find that I can buy a 622 for around $500. I'm looking for my least expensive option. I'm fairly technical and believe that I can do all the hookups etc. myself.

Also, I have an HDTV but do not currently receive (pay for) HD programming. My Dish subscription also doesn't have a DVR add-on and I pay for one receiver only. Will I be charged for 2 receivers since the 622 has TV1 and TV2? What additional mothly charges will I incur by purchasing the 622?

I've heard some bad reports from early DVR owners that recording may be interrupted in the middle of a program due to DVR (i.e., not weather or power related) issues. Also some problems with audio/video syncronization. Have these bugs been worked out with the DVR hardware? This would be a deal-breaker for me since I record a lot for watching later and these issues would drive me crazy. Is another "latest and greatest" receiver looming on the horizon? My current equipment still works and I don't want to upgrade then be sorry later this year that I didn't wait.

Finally, What's the differences between a 622 and a 625. I don't see a 625 thread on this forum so I'm assuming that the 622 is the latest, but that would be a strange numbering system (going backwards).

Thanks for your help.

#93 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

622 is an HD DVR. The 625 is a SD DVR. That is where the differences start. Even though the UI looks similar, really hard to compare them since they are different class of receiver. Better comparision is the 622 and 942 and that is done in the 622 review.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#94 OFFLINE   lbeck

lbeck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:34 PM

622 is an HD DVR. The 625 is a SD DVR.

Thanks. That's an important first step. Obviously since I'm wanting to stay ahead of the technology curve on my next purchase, I'll only consider the HD model. One important component of my initial post is monthly fees. Do I need to pay for HD if I have the receiver or only when I choose to receive HD signals. Also, is there a DVR fee?

My other questions remain. I'm learning.

Thanks.

#95 ONLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

Thanks. That's an important first step. Obviously since I'm wanting to stay ahead of the technology curve on my next purchase, I'll only consider the HD model. One important component of my initial post is monthly fees. Do I need to pay for HD if I have the receiver or only when I choose to receive HD signals. Also, is there a DVR fee?

My other questions remain. I'm learning.

Thanks.

You must purchase the 622 to have it without HD programming, and then there is a $6 fee for not having HD programming plus a $6 DVR fee also.

622's are going for around $400 or so.

#96 OFFLINE   adamevans

adamevans

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

I like the review a lot.

However, I would've liked to have seen some screenshots of the new channel guide.

#97 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:47 AM

I like the review a lot.

However, I would've liked to have seen some screenshots of the new channel guide.

Welcome to DBSTAlk and thanks for the feedback.

As far as the channel guide, check out the 942 review that is linked in the 622 review. The 942 review that Mark Lamutt wrote shows all of that and a lot more about the GUI and Name Based Recording. Since that didn't change between the 942 and the 622 it wasn't covered again in the 622 review.

Let me know if that doesn't answer your questions and I'll see if I can help answer them for you.
Rob

#98 OFFLINE   jsluga

jsluga

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:02 AM

First of all, thanks for hosting this thread! I've learned more in the past 45 minutes here than I have in the past month at Circuit City, Fry's, and Best Buy, combined!!

Secondly, my situation: I have a Dish 921 receiver in my home theater which is richly stocked with Pioneer Elite receiver/DVD player/speakers/HD TV, so I know a little bit about HD programming and DVR. My knowledge, however, is somewhat dated: thus, my research on the threads at DBSTalk.

I recently purchased and installed an LG 42PC3DH TV for another room, which gets its television programming via a DishNetwork 522 DVR. I am contemplating trading in the 522 to Dish N/W for the new 622 and running the signal from that, along with the DVD player signal, through a new Sony switching A/V receiver, probably running component video cables and a digital optical sound cable into the A/V receiver from the DVD player and an HDMI cable from the 622 into the A/V receiver with another HDMI cable running from the A/V receiver into the LG television. (I plan to control everything with a Harmony remote control, BTW, but that probably isn't germane to this discussion.

Questions: #1—Is the setup I've described optimal or should I do someting different? The legion of problems about which I have read on the various threads here have me somewhat daunted. #2—Should I really upgrade to the 622 when the 522 works perfectly? I realize that threads usually only broadcast the problems and not the triumphs of new technolgy. I'm hoping that is the case here. #3—I saw an ad from a highly rated internet vendor for the 522 and the needed antenna upgrade for just over $500. This seems better to me than the best deal offered by Dish N/W at this time. Can you advise me on that, as well? I am willing to trade in my 522, but the 921 (a replacement from an original failure, actually) is functioning qute well, and I don't require additional HD programming in the home theater room just yet. I an competent to install the new antenna and run the additional cable along the existing two cables to the 622 if that is what the new installation requires. Please advise me if you can.

I tried to take care of a swap order by calling the DishNetwork NONsupport line TWICE, but failed both times. The first time, the young woman was so ill-infomred re: DishNetwork products that she quoted me several different prices for the same programming packages! After about 30 minutes of talking to her, I hung up the telephone in despair. This morning, I called again. This disservice operator's headset was picking up so much background conversation that I told her repeatedly that I could not understand what she was saying and asked to speak to a supervisor. When the supervisor came on the line, his headset picked up the same background conversation. He said their was a meeting going on. He changed headsets to a different type, and then I could not hear him at all because of static coming from the headset! Oh, well!

BTW, FOG means Fat Old Guy.

#99 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:00 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk jsluga and thanks for the compliment.

To quickly answer your question, yes, what you want to do should work. The 622 should just drop into the location that your 522 is at. They both take the same number of Sat feeds. As far as the feeds into your AVR I'm going to assume it can do Component and HDMI switching and leave it at that.

Should you do it? If you want to use the new LG to it's fullest and have HD on it then yes. If your happy with SD content on it then no.

As far as getting a 622, the cheapest route is probably to lease one from Dish. This will cost you $199, but there is currently a $10 for 10 months credit for signing up to a new DishHD package for the first time (their bronze, silver, gold or platinum packages). There is a good thread over on the Dish HD forum that describes the offers: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=59333. If you do this lease deal it includes installation, including any new dishes you'd need to get all the new programming. Depending on your location that would mean adding a dish that could pick up 129 or one to pick up 61.5 if you don't have either one yet.

You can send in your 522 and get a small credit but I don't think it would be much, maybe only $25.00. If you own the 522 and don't want it anymore I'd suggest selling it on eBay or craigslist.

If you prefer to go the buy route you can can shop online for one, order from Dish directly or go through a local installer. In the past I've even seen them for sale at Costco, though I'm not sure if they are still there or not. If you go that route your probably looking at $450 - $500.

Hope this helps.
Rob

#100 OFFLINE   jsluga

jsluga

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, Rob. Very thorough. I'll probably go the lease from Dish route if I can get a Costomer Support Rep that can really help me!

spam firewall