Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official DBSTalk ViP622 DVR Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   jerrynorton

jerrynorton

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:59 AM

I've had my ViP622 since April. There was a few things the installer didn't set up correctly, but I'm pretty good at following instruction manuals. Since then it has performed flawlessly. Well, you have to unplug it from the wall once in a great while when it gets stuck and just sits there. The software upgrades it installs at night have made it more fault resistant. I think mine is the B revision too. An early mainboard, but like I said, I am very happy with its performance.

It runs real hot, especially in the summer. About 128 degrees Fahrenheit on average. Which brings me to my question. Has anyone tried swapping out their hard drive for one with more capacity? I've never opened mine up, but I was able to ascertain that it uses a SATA hard drive. Donno whether it's SATA I or SATA II. It's either 250 Gb or 320 Gb. I guess the thing to do is try it. Someone said the ViP622 will download the operating system onto a blank drive from the satellite. I'm not usually a pioneer on things like this as long as it's working correctly. Keep waiting for that hard drive to burn up so I'll have just cause, but I would like more than 30 hours HD recording time.

Sorry if this has been addressed on another thread. The search terms are so generic, "upgrade vip622 hard drive", "increase hard drive capacity vip622", etc., that I have a difficult time returning useful search results. But I'm a noob on this forum.

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

I am not aware of anyone that has swapped out the drive, but doing so would void the warranty I believe. If I recall there is a temper seal on it.

Based on info from Dish, External USB archival support is coming... Hopefully we will see it soon and that will allow one to transfer shows to an external drive and thus providing more storage.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#103 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

I am not aware of anyone that has swapped out the drive, but doing so would void the warranty I believe. If I recall there is a temper seal on it.

Based on info from Dish, External USB archival support is coming... Hopefully we will see it soon and that will allow one to transfer shows to an external drive and thus providing more storage.

Wait for CES in Vegas this month. New goodies usually follow a few months thereafter.

Also, I highly recommend getting the extended warranty (a monthly surcharge on your monthly bill). PVRs are prone to hardware failure, and E* will replace the receiver AND pay the freight both ways if you have it.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#104 OFFLINE   jerrynorton

jerrynorton

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

PVRs are prone to hardware failure, and E* will replace the receiver AND pay the freight both ways if you have it.

Hmm. Wouldn't they do that anyway if they want me to keep paying my bill (beyond the 18 month contract period)? Maybe not pay the freight, but I think they would definitely have to fix my box if it breaks. Don't they?

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking maybe I'd just buy a 750 Gb Seagate and try it out. I know it voids the warranty. If it didn't work, I could just use it in my computer. If it did work, I'd use the drive out of the ViP622 in my computer. In any event I'd have more storage capacity somewhere.

Let me know if you hear of anyone who has tried it and what the results were.

#105 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

Warranty on leased units is 1 year, after that repairs are your responsibility, but Dish has a Dish Home protection plan that you can subscribe to it if your unit fails, get it repaired for reduced cost, then drop coverage.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#106 OFFLINE   acidscan

acidscan

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

Thank you for the review, great work !

#107 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:14 AM

Thank you for the review, great work !

Thank you acidscan and Welcome to DBSTalk. I hope this site is able to help you out.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#108 OFFLINE   asher

asher

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

Somebody asked this question way back at the beginning of the thread and was never answered - does anybody know if the receiver requires HDCP support in the display to work over HDMI? I tried asking Dish, and they basically don't know.

The context of the question - I'm trying to get my 622 to work with my non-HDCP TV (which is actually a DVI input), and I get a black screen. Seems likely that it's just a bad HDMI port like everybody else's, but I also got the same symptom with a brand-new upscaling DVD player which was documented to require HDCP support. I've tried the TV with a DVI laptop, so I know that the input works.

Thanks,
Aaron

#109 OFFLINE   WynsWrld98

WynsWrld98

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:09 AM

Anyone have info of when the ViP622-1 (500 GB hard drive) version announced at CES will be available? When the new DISH promotions start February 1 is that with the ViP622-1 or the ViP622? I'm considering switching to DISH Network is why I'm asking...

#110 OFFLINE   santafeguy

santafeguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

The mapping (or remapping) of channels is just that, a remapping for your convenience.

Dish has to transmit the channel somewhere, and there are lots of "channel 5" around the country... so Dish sticks them up at 8400 or wherever... then they provide a channel re-mapping feature in the receiver so at the local level your receiver can re-map the 8400 channel to your local channel number for convenience to you.

Each channel on Dish has to have a unique channel number... so they can't just push it on channel 5 for everyone who has a channel 5... so that's ultimately the reason why it has to be at 8400 or wherever.

Ok, I am planning on switching to DISH from Comcrap. I am trying to get my head around the re-mapping, since I've never seen it before. :grin: I completely understand the concept. Just so I am clear though: I can program the Vip622 to say that the HD NBC channel is 4 not 6326 (as is the case here in New Mexico)?

So, if I were to set a timer it would record it on 4 as an HD? Again, pardon my naivete` just cus I am used to comcast where the SD channel is the local number...in this case 4, and the HD is a separate channel. So, If I want to record a show that is in HD I have to make sure I have specified the HD channel not the standard number. :rolleyes:

#111 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

Actually... You don't program it.. Not sure if you will be using OTA... I will cover both.

What you do is scan your OTA channels in. They have a frequency to channel mapping that dish uses. There also is your HD locals that are supported in some areas (6326 sounds like one).

Here is what the 622 can do.

HD Priority setting

Maps SD locals to 0X-00 slot.
Maps HD locals to 0X-01.. 0X-02 etc.

Example:
SoCal NBC

04-00 : Dish HD NBC
04-01: NBC OTA
04-02: NBC sub channel #1

SD mapping
04-00 :SD NBC
04-01: OTBA NBC
04-02: NBC sub channel #1

See more in section 5.3 of the review.
http://www.dbstalk.c...iP622Review.pdf

If not... check out the 942 review. It has EPG pictures that should help.

Hope this makes sense.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#112 OFFLINE   santafeguy

santafeguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

[quote name='Ron Barry']Actually... You don't program it.. Not sure if you will be using OTA... I will cover both.

What you do is scan your OTA channels in. They have a frequency to channel mapping that dish uses. There also is your HD locals that are supported in some areas (6326 sounds like one).

Here is what the 622 can do.[quote name='Ron Barry']

Ok, now I understand. :D That was a great review, I had read the CNET one, but yours is much more thorough. Thanks! :) Here in Santa Fe they aren't OTA, the can come through the Dish itself. Well except CBS, which isn't carried on HD by any carrier because they are greedy and want more money.

I noticed one of the pics that there was a pop up about having a home phone, or getting a monthly charge. I called them and was told you only have to have a phone line if you want caller id. :nono: But as we all know, Cust. Serv. Reps. are wrong more than 1/2 the time. :P Does anyone know for sure, as I only use Cell, don't have a home phone.

#113 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

Ohh... forgot to :welcome_s you. : )

Yes, the 622 has a requirement to have a phone line connected or get a additional fee. I would do a search on the forum for further discussions on this topic. I know there are threads dealing with this subject and I don't recall if some people have been able to get around this issue.

#114 OFFLINE   c4racer

c4racer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

Quick question - the -622 will support both TV1 and TV2 watching different recorded programs at the same time, correct?

I have an install scheduled for tomorrow.

#115 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

Yes.. when in dual mode.

#116 OFFLINE   JCN

JCN

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hmm. Wouldn't they do that anyway if they want me to keep paying my bill (beyond the 18 month contract period)? Maybe not pay the freight, but I think they would definitely have to fix my box if it breaks. Don't they?

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking maybe I'd just buy a 750 Gb Seagate and try it out. I know it voids the warranty. If it didn't work, I could just use it in my computer. If it did work, I'd use the drive out of the ViP622 in my computer. In any event I'd have more storage capacity somewhere.

Let me know if you hear of anyone who has tried it and what the results were.

I know it has been done with the SA8300 cable box. I believe on that hard drive they had a dye or something like that, that showed if it has been touched. It can be done if you just take time and be careful. It was discussed on the AVS forum.

#117 OFFLINE   RonS

RonS

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

Anyone have info of when the ViP622-1 (500 GB hard drive) version announced at CES will be available? When the new DISH promotions start February 1 is that with the ViP622-1 or the ViP622? I'm considering switching to DISH Network is why I'm asking...

Does anyone have any info on this request? I am thinking about buying another 622 and would prefer the higher capacity if it will be available soon.

Thanks

#118 OFFLINE   Idahonuke

Idahonuke

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

Hullo,

I'm a newbie, so I apollogize if this is allready covered, but I could not find it.

I have direct v with an HR20. I hate it. HATE it! And I don't use that term lightly. I was thinking about switching to the netwerk with a vip622. My main concern with the HR20, is it doesn't record what I want it to, and it records things I don't subscribe to. Basically I can't make it work. It's a minor complaint. I am probably asking too much.

So, my question is this. Will the vip622 try to record programs on channels that are not subscribed? My HR20 does this 24/7/365.

#119 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hullo,

I'm a newbie, so I apollogize if this is allready covered, but I could not find it.

I have direct v with an HR20. I hate it. HATE it! And I don't use that term lightly. I was thinking about switching to the netwerk with a vip622. My main concern with the HR20, is it doesn't record what I want it to, and it records things I don't subscribe to. Basically I can't make it work. It's a minor complaint. I am probably asking too much.

So, my question is this. Will the vip622 try to record programs on channels that are not subscribed? My HR20 does this 24/7/365.

??? My vip622 only records what I program it to record. If i do not subscribe to a service like the Playboy ??? i cannot record it.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#120 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hullo,

Welcome to DBSTalk Idahonuke. To answer your question briefly, no it will not. It records only what you set timers up for. However, if you setup a DishPASS recording and the search criteria is pretty vague you may end up with more than your bargained for. Other than that every once in a while you get a small SD Dish Network recording about features or billing information, but they are pretty rare, at least for me. They only usually last a couple minutes and take up almost no hard drive space.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

Protected By... spam firewall...And...