Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official DBSTalk ViP622 DVR Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

:welcome_s Idahonuke.

My two 622s record what I have selected it to record. As far as I know there is no reports of people getting recordings that they did not set up. If you hit the DVR button three times on the 622 you get a list of Scheduled recordings and a list of what was recorded. From my experiences these match up.

Not sure how the HR20 works since I don't have one. before Jumping have you looked into the D* forums and perhaps there is a solution to your HR20 issues...

I guess your main question is.. Is the 622 record shows reliably. My opinion is yes based on having two 622s for close to a year.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, be careful with DishPass. I tried to have it look for all recurrences of the show Las Vegas on any network... It wound up recording show that had Las Vegas in the title OR in the description (lots of travel shows, etc.)

Then again, I have it set up to record anything that says New York Giants, and all I got were the local football games, none of the shows that air on the RSNs about the team, so go figure.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#123 OFFLINE   Idahonuke

Idahonuke

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

??? My vip622 only records what I program it to record. If i do not subscribe to a service like the Playboy ??? i cannot record it.

Wow, that was quick. Thanks guys. I will look to see if there is a work around for the hr20.

Just to clarify, I will explain exactly what my problem is...

I set up a search for Soccer in the title. Since this sport is rarely broadcast, I am hoping to catch any games I can. However, there are soccer-specific channels availlable on direct v that I don't subscribe to. So it spends all day 'recording' these. Even though there is nothing there. They fill up my List. But it somehow misses all the games on ESPN and ESPN2 and their HD counterparts. Occasionally it will catch one. But I missed the US/Ecquador game this weekend.

The other gripe I have with direct v is that 2 of the big 4 networks denied my request to get the west/east coast channels. So I couldn't watch the super bowl, for example. Unless I wanted to hook up an antenna. HD can give me locals (or maybe the coastal stations, can't remember).

Thanks again!

#124 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

Well I know the Dish 622 does not do record stations that you do not currently sub to... If the HR20 is still doing that, boy I would say the grass is greener. ;)
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#125 OFFLINE   daddywags

daddywags

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

I am thinking of dumping direct tv due to the hr 20 i have to get.i have a hr10 250 whats the difference on a vip622

#126 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:03 PM

Read the review and ask specific questions. Most of us here never had a HR10 250 to know the difference.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#127 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

Definitely read the review, also check out the other sticky threads at the top of this forum. Ron and others have linked in some very good threads and documents pertaining to the 622. Once you have done that is you have any additional questions we'd be more than happy to try and answer them. I personally do not have any DirecTV experience though so I can only tell you what the 622 can and can not do, I can't really compare it to the HR10-250 or any other DirecTV receiver.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#128 OFFLINE   prejeand

prejeand

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

First, the review was excellent and much is confirmed in another review done on cNet. As final confirmation, I have just gotten off the phone with a technical guy from Dish Network and now I am totally confused. As a 10+ year Dish customer I am in the process of upgrading to HDTV and have spent countless hours on the internet reading everything I could find about the various HD DVRs available. I currently have a 721 and am pleased that I am able to record 2 SD shows and watch something that I have previously recorded. Based on your article and the cNet one I got excited that I could do the same and with a OTA antenna maybe even a bit more with the 622. The guy at Dish Network popped by balloon. He said that I could record one in HD and one in SD and watch one that I had previously recorded. According to him, adding OTA, made no difference--only one HD recording at a time. Help! Is he correct or can I record 3 HD shows at once as you (and cNet) say in the reviews. What about watching a previously taped show while I record. Sorry to be so verbose but I have sort of hit the frustration wall! I would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

#129 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

You can, and we have been able to, record three HD at the same time.
One OTA HD and two via satellite HD.

Plus you can play back two different previous DVR events at the same time (if you really want to push the 622).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#130 OFFLINE   prejeand

prejeand

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:51 PM

You can, and we have been able to, record three HD at the same time.
One OTA HD and two via satellite HD.

Plus you can play back two different previous DVR events at the same time (if you really want to push the 622).

Thank you for the positive information. Is there somewhere I should look for instructions on exactly how to do this or just get the unit and "have at it"?

#131 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

Just set three things to record at the same time ... two on TV1 and one on TV2 (or if in single mode one will show up as being recorded on TV2 while the others will appear to be recorded on TV1).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#132 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

Thank you for the positive information. Is there somewhere I should look for instructions on exactly how to do this or just get the unit and "have at it"?

:welcome_s prejand... You might want to hold of a month or so for HDTV since it appears that the 722 is scheduled for release in August. IF it hold true then you might be able to get the 722 instead of the 622 and get the additional hard drive space thought we are hearing conflicting information if the user will actually see some of that space be used for personal recording.

#133 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,426 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

To quote the Nike ads... "Just do it" :)

Really, it is far simpler than the CSRs (and even the manual for that matter) make it seem. As James says, there are 3 tuners... 2 for satellite and 1 for OTA. So if you hook up an OTA antenna, you have the ability to record 3 different programs at the same time... and can even watch 2 pre-recorded programs while that is going on!

It really is as simple as just setting timers for three different channels. Just make sure you don't try and set 2 timers for multiple OTA channels at the same time or you will get a conflict of course since there is just the 1 OTA tuner. Some folks see that message and get confused about the rest of the features.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#134 OFFLINE   lbeck

lbeck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:33 AM

two on TV1 and one on TV2

You can do this. Really? Even with all being satellite?

I've had my 622 for a little over a year and still am being confused by its capabilities. I'm not complaining. Anything with the extensive capabilities of this machine will be complicated. But how do you record two programs on TV1 at the same time? Do you need to be in single or dual mode? And I'm assuming that this needs to be set up with the timers and not "on the fly"? It seems that there have been times that I've been watching a program and then decide to record the rest of it and change the channel to watch something else live, and my 622 says that if I switch channels that it will stop recording.

#135 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:18 AM

You can record only two satellite programs at once. To record three things at once, one of them must be an OTA program.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#136 OFFLINE   lbeck

lbeck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:43 AM

You can record only two satellite programs at once.

okay - Thanks

Now, how do you do the scenario that I described?

1 - you're watching program A and decide to recore the rest of it, so you press the record button and respond to the pop-up screens

2 - you go to change the channel to watch/record program B and you get a message "this will stop the recording...."

Apparently you need to direct the 622 to do the recording on the *other* tuner, but I haven't figured out how to switch tuners mid-stream. Probably simple. But what's the procedure?

#137 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

Are you in Single mode or Dual mode? Do you have an OTA antenna or not? If Single mode, just press the Swap key on the remote to swap to the other tuner and then change the channel on that tuner. If you are in Dual mode you can not use the other satellite tuner on TV1. In Dual mode, if you have OTA channels you can use the Guide to change to an OTA channel. Otherwise all you can do is watch a recorded program or go watch TV2.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#138 OFFLINE   lbeck

lbeck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

In Dual mode, if you have OTA channels you can use the Guide to change to an OTA channel. Otherwise all you can do is watch a recorded program or go watch TV2

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. And I've used that approach. But TV2 is all the way downstairs and I normally like to RECORD a program so that I don't need to sit through the commercials. Of course, maybe I can pause the program on TV2 to get around the commercial thing.

And actually, I can watch TV2 without leaving the upstairs sofa by using my remote in TV mode and changing channels to the one that I have programmed for TV2. Whew,.... for a minute I was thinking that I might actually need to get off my butt and walk downstairs to see the other program.

This technology is really great. I remember a time back in the old days when I actually had to get up and turn a knob to get to a different channel. Thanks for helping me work through this dilemma. ;)

#139 OFFLINE   DaddyDuke

DaddyDuke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

GREAT JOB, a lot of work, THANK YOU

#140 OFFLINE   justrelaxing

justrelaxing

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

I will be giong HD on thurs. I have 2 tv's, so i will be using 1 HD DVR. My current DVR is connected upstairs tv and one in the basement. My question comes with I was reading the 622 that TV1 shows 1080, where TV 2 only shows 480. Can I switch back and forth on which tv is going to be TV1 for 1080? Say I want to watch some sports show on my basement projector that i am also buying.........and want to see it in 1080. Then another time, not at the same time, I am sitting upstairs and want to watch CSI, and i know it shows in HD. Can I then change the upstairs TV to the TV1 to get higher dpi?

Any help would be great.

spam firewall