Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official DBSTalk ViP622 DVR Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

I will be giong HD on thurs. I have 2 tv's, so i will be using 1 HD DVR. My current DVR is connected upstairs tv and one in the basement. My question comes with I was reading the 622 that TV1 shows 1080, where TV 2 only shows 480. Can I switch back and forth on which tv is going to be TV1 for 1080? Say I want to watch some sports show on my basement projector that i am also buying.........and want to see it in 1080. Then another time, not at the same time, I am sitting upstairs and want to watch CSI, and i know it shows in HD. Can I then change the upstairs TV to the TV1 to get higher dpi?

Any help would be great.

No you can't switch TV1 and TV2 but since all outputs are hot at the same time, you could connect one TV via HDMI and the second TV via component so that both are displaying HD. You will need a long run of cable (probably) component to the second TV though. Either that, or you can get a splitter (for HDMI or component) and do it that way. Either way, one of the cable runs will be long. I think component does better with long cable runs than HDMI.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   justrelaxing

justrelaxing

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

few things....

when you talk component...what are you meaning by this? My enterance of the satelite is in the basement. So you think by using my basement tv as TV1, which is where i am hooking the projector up when I get it, and having some type of router there and then drill a hole in the floor to run cable to my upstairs to hook to tv? My upstairs tv is HD also.

Very new to this....so sorry if i am not following very well

#143 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

Bottom line.. is TV1 is the only output that does HD. In the back of the 622/722 you have an HDMI output and a Component output (This is what you use to connect your 622/722 to your TV). Both of these sockets provide an HD output and can be used to drive two HD devices though you both will be watching the same content. You cannot output Two different HD outputs. IF that meets your goal you can make this work.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#144 OFFLINE   justrelaxing

justrelaxing

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

Ok....so at no time I can have 2 outputs showing High Def shows. But If I set it up with HDMI from the 622 to the projector and then the component from the 622 to the upstairs tv, when i am not watching HD downstairs....the upstairs would still be able to watch HD network show?

#145 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:50 PM

Both outputs are hot so you can watch the same content upstairs and downstairs at the same time. What you cannot do is watch DiscoverHD in HD upstairs and watch Rave HD downstairs in HD. This would require dual mode and in dual mode one output can support outputting in HD & SD while the other can only output in SD.

Don't get this confused with Tuners. All tuners can still recorded either HD or SD content.

I know it can be a bit confusing and hopefully this helps. If not, Take a look at the Sticky FAQ and take a read of some of the threads relating to this topic. it should feel in the gaps.

Oh.. And welcome to DBSTalk.... WOW.. joined in Dec 2006 and this is your third post.. Must have been lurking for a long time. :D
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#146 OFFLINE   justrelaxing

justrelaxing

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

Thanks...I will read the sticky....

I understand I can not watch both tv's on HD, but if hooked up, can both watch HD at different times?

I signed up and was going to go HD but got deployed to Iraq. Just got back 2 weeks ago, so that is why the lapse in time....

Thanks for the welcome

#147 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:53 PM

Welcome back.... :D

Yes Both can watch HD at different times. If you are in a situation where you watch one or the other then I would recommend running your VIP DVR in single mode. With the two remotes you can use the IR remote in the room with the VIP DVR and use the RF remote in the other room.

I currently do this set up with the bedroom TV and a TV in the garage though my Garage TV is SD but the principle is the same.

#148 OFFLINE   justrelaxing

justrelaxing

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

cool............then its not much of a issue.............this is of course requiring me to get a router and run component to the other tv.............or does this not require anything other then having the dvr hooked up direct to the tv and just being in single mode and with tv1 getting the better pict quality

#149 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

In single mode both of your TVs will be TV1. Connect the TV that is close to the receiver using an HDMI cable. Then you will need to get a long Component and audio cable. You can get a 5 wire Component cable that will carry both the video and audio so a single cable run is all you need. Check out www.monoprice.com for the length of cable you will need. If the run is not very long you could instead connect the close TV with Component and the upstairs TV with HDMI. Since HDMI carrys the audio and video in a single cable.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#150 OFFLINE   skippytym99

skippytym99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

Great review, lots of detail.

I've ordered one and it should be installed on 3/12. Too long!

I currently record my OTA HD channels and SD Comcast channels using Windows MCE. I'm planning on hooking TV1 up to my HDTV, but would like to use the TV2 output to record SD channels on my Media Center PC using an IR blaster to control TV2.

So, is it possible to control TV2 using IR, or only UHF?

Thanks, Larry

tv 2 can not use ir unforunately it doent work like that tv2 is uhfpro only.

#151 OFFLINE   skippytym99

skippytym99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

2-13 are VHF and would be tunable IF they were in ATSC.
14-69 UHF OTA also have their counterparts on 'cable' with different numbers.
There are a lot of cable channels in the gaps between the OTA VHF channels and between OTA VHF and UHF.

The biggest issue is would any cable channels be in ATSC? That's all the 622 can handle even if it could see the channel numbers.

where did you get that info frome it doesnt sound right.

#152 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

It was a direct response to Richard's post, and is right.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...