Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with Digital Optical Audio and H20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrcohenm3

jrcohenm3

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:17 AM

Good morning,

Just found this forum, hopefully it can be helpful... I had the new 5LNB dish with H20 receiver installed a couple of weeks ago in the Boston area. Seems to work great except for one audio issue. I have the HDMI port connected to the DVI port on my TV along with L and R audio cables. I also have the optical port on the H20 connected to my Sony 5.1 receiver.

Here is the problem. When I watch and listen using the speakers built into the TV (L & R audio) the sound synchs up 100% with the video. If I turn on my surround receiver, the audio that is coming out of the digital optical port is about 250ms late. I had a Sony HD satellite receiver with digital audio out hooked up to my 5.1 receiver before replacing it with the H20 so I know the problem is not my recever. I called Directv and they said that there was nothing that they could do about it and blamed it on my 5.1 receiver.

Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix? It is really annoying.

Thanks,
Jason.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hmm, I was thinking maybe you had a surround delay turned on on your receiver but I suppose not. I'm at work right now and can't look but I know initially I was not getting DIGITAL out of the optical output. I realized I had to go to the settings and turn the DOLBY DIGITAL OUT on. Now the little blue light turns on on my receiver whenever I watch something with the 5.1 surround track. Yay.

I have an older HDTV (RCA 38" 16:9 tube) and the optical output is running directly to my SONY 5.1 receiver but for my TV to have sound out of its speakers I had to run standard RCA jack audio cables from the back of the H20 directly to the input audio jacks on my boob toob. Works like a champ.

I'd suggest double checking everything in your various setups (H20 AND your RECEIVER) just on the chance that something fishy occurred with the new optical audio setup.

Good luck!

#3 OFFLINE   DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:16 PM

By the way, what do you think of Johnny Damon? That was a shocker to me as a 36 year Yankees fan. (I'm 42).
Wow. "Show me the money!" or what?

Looking forward to this season and warmer weather. :-)

#4 OFFLINE   jrcohenm3

jrcohenm3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:52 PM

Definitely a show me the money thing. I am 35 and I have given up caring so much about a player that it bothers me when they leave. It is all about the money these days. Anyhow the Red Sox have a whole new team this year so let the rivalry begin again :-)

I checked all the cabling and set up screens on the surround receiver. Before installing the H20, I had a Sony HD200 sat receiver hooked up to the TV with the optical out going into the Sony surround receiver and it worked like a champ, no delay. I am certain that there is a problem with this H20. Tried resetting it and the Dolby digital setting is on. When it is off, the sound only comes out L and R speakers but the delay is still present. When On, the main voices come out the center channel with delay. When I bypass the optical out and use the L R analog audio out from the H20 no delay at all. There has to be a bad DSP chip on the H20. I plan on replacing the H20 as soon as the H20-DVR250 is available. Hopefully I do not have the same issue then. We will see. I am curious how many other may have this problem and not have noticed. At 200 -250 ms you have to be looking at the speaker to notice.

J.

#5 OFFLINE   jrcohenm3

jrcohenm3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:53 PM

By the way , I like your Mini Sig. I am a BMW guy but also have a Mini in the family. :D

#6 OFFLINE   grandpaken

grandpaken

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:41 AM

[quote name='

I checked all the cabling and set up screens on the surround receiver. Before installing the H20, I had a Sony HD200 sat receiver hooked up to the TV with the optical out going into the Sony surround receiver and it worked like a champ, no delay. I am certain that there is a problem with this H20.
J.[/QUOTE']

I've had problems with the audio as well on my H20 but only on local HD channels. When I switch to one of the 2 HD channels I can get with my antenna the sound is fine. I'd guess that it may be problem with how the firmware decodes the audio in the MPeg4 stream. If we call D* they'll most likely tell is it's because Video travels faster than Sound.

#7 OFFLINE   Trak101

Trak101

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

If we call D* they'll most likely tell is it's because Video travels faster than Sound.

That is hilarious, by the way!:lol:

#8 OFFLINE   mkmhr

mkmhr

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:58 AM

You'll need to try usng PCM aaudio rather than the 5.1

#9 OFFLINE   grandpaken

grandpaken

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

You'll need to try usng PCM aaudio rather than the 5.1

HD is supposed to include dolby 5.1 audio so that's what I expect an HD provider to provide. That's like saying well give you HD video but you'll have to watch it over s-video in 480i because our 1080i doesn't work right.

#10 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

HD is supposed to include dolby 5.1 audio so that's what I expect an HD provider to provide. That's like saying well give you HD video but you'll have to watch it over s-video in 480i because our 1080i doesn't work right.

Where is that written? There's not even anything written that you're suppose to get HD. Just digital.

#11 OFFLINE   grandpaken

grandpaken

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

Where is that written? There's not even anything written that you're suppose to get HD. Just digital.

If you mean what the FCC calls digital TV you're right. D* advertises HD locals in select markets not Digital locals. If a digital station isn't broadcasting HD that's a different story.

#12 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:11 AM

If you mean what the FCC calls digital TV you're right. D* advertises HD locals in select markets not Digital locals. If a digital station isn't broadcasting HD that's a different story.

I'm just saying HD doesn't = Dolby Digital 5.1. Even many local stations don't have that working yet. Feeding network stuff may work, but local typically jumps back down to 2.0.

#13 OFFLINE   thumperr

thumperr

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

I'm just saying HD doesn't = Dolby Digital 5.1. Even many local stations don't have that working yet. Feeding network stuff may work, but local typically jumps back down to 2.0.

The NBC station is DC just recently started to include DD5.1 in their HD feed. (start of the Olympics)

I also thought that not all the national feeds included it. I vaguely remember that HBOHD and SHOHD show a DD5.1 symbol when their programing includes it. Which leads me to think it doesn't include 5.1 unless specifically stated.

#14 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

The NBC station is DC just recently started to include DD5.1 in their HD feed. (start of the Olympics)

I also thought that not all the national feeds included it. I vaguely remember that HBOHD and SHOHD show a DD5.1 symbol when their programing includes it. Which leads me to think it doesn't include 5.1 unless specifically stated.

I believe that's correct. It's not always there.

#15 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:41 AM

I just got my H20 installed yesterday and the same issue. I have a Sony 5.1 surround sound and I am using optical. and I have the HDMI connected to a HDMI to DVI adapter to my Toshiba TV. Man I will be soooooo mad if this does not get fixed.. The installer took my Off the air anntenna...
www.alliedgovernment.org

#16 OFFLINE   grandpaken

grandpaken

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:11 PM

That is absolutely correct....but when a show comes on one of the HD stations and the banner says "Sony presents this broadcast in HD and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound" I expect to receive both picture and sound as advertised...without a 1/4 second difference between the video and sound. If I want things out of sync I'll watch a Japanese horror flick. BTW...there's actually about a 5 second delay in the D* broadcast over the satellite vs. the broadcasted signal which, I presume is the time it takes it to upfeed to the bird then back down.

#17 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

I was over in the D* forums and there is tread with the same issues and D* saying that they do not know of any issues...I will be calling D* tonight and see what they tell me...
www.alliedgovernment.org

#18 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

That is absolutely correct....but when a show comes on one of the HD stations and the banner says "Sony presents this broadcast in HD and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound" I expect to receive both picture and sound as advertised...without a 1/4 second difference between the video and sound. If I want things out of sync I'll watch a Japanese horror flick. BTW...there's actually about a 5 second delay in the D* broadcast over the satellite vs. the broadcasted signal which, I presume is the time it takes it to upfeed to the bird then back down.

I've stated before that the HD local channels will be a nightmare for DTV.

EVERY....EVERY DMA has their local stations and EVERY...EVERY local station have their own local transmission problems. Some don't pass through DD or DD 5.1. Some "forget" to switch their HD from SD to HD. HD transmission is not yet an exact science.

Once all of these stations are available via DTV every customer could start by referencing AVSForum.com and review their local stations current OTA problems before calling DTV. DTV has no control over what the local station in that DMA provides. So if ones local HD station doesn't provide HD or 5.1 it isn't a DTV problem even though a customer expects to receive HD and 5.1 and the show is broadcast from the network in HD and 5.1.

Keep in mind the chain.

Network -> local station -> DTV -> you.

Anyone want to guess at the number of calls DTV will be receiving for bad reception of HD locals when the real problem could be network or the local station?

#19 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:06 AM

I have not seen or herd the same issues form Cable HD customers...I am not one but I talk to a couple people who have locals via Comcast and they do not have the issues....

Sorry they have issues but not a sync issue....LOL
www.alliedgovernment.org

#20 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

Just one more thing...My PQ was way better with my Samsung HD rec....
www.alliedgovernment.org

Protected By... spam firewall...And...