Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Attractive offer from Comcast

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail from Comcast with a very attractive offer for people to give back their satellite dishes.
For $39.99/mo for 12 months you get Digital cable, DVR, and HBO/HBO on Demand.

To get the equivalent from D* I have to pay:
$49.99 for TC Plus
$5.99 DVR service
$12.00 HBO service
$16 (additional cost I'm paying for internet by not having TV service with Comcast)

That's a total of $83.98! More than double what I would be paying with the Comcast offer. Very tempting...

After 12 months, using current rates, Comcast would be:
$59.99 digital cable
$9.99 DVR service
I would cancel the HBO service so it would be about the same price as D*.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:19 PM

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail from Comcast with a very attractive offer for people to give back their satellite dishes.

$49.99 for TC Plus
$5.99 DVR service
$12.00 HBO service
$16 (additional cost I'm paying for internet by not having TV service with Comcast)

That's a total of $83.98! More than double what I would be paying with the Comcast offer. Very tempting...

$59.99 digital cable
$9.99 DVR service

1) I don't know if digital cable is different in your area, but D* offers more channels that I want than Comcast does here (ESPN Classic, ESPNU, CSTV, and FUSE to name a few).

2) In our area, internet service is (as you said) $15 more per month if you're not a cable subscriber. HOWEVER, if you subscribe to basic cable (which is only $10.99 per month), that qualifies you as a cable subscriber and you get the lower internet rate. In other words, you save $4 per month AND have a backup in case the satellite goes out...

#3 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

$59.99 digital cable
$9.99 DVR service

Isnt TC only $46 and $6 for the DVR from DirecTV ? Thats almost $20 a month more with cable unless my math is wrong.

#4 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:34 PM

I'm jealous..it's been 3 years and my cable co never solicited me once!

#5 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

Isnt TC only $46 and $6 for the DVR from DirecTV ? Thats almost $20 a month more with cable unless my math is wrong.

He's comparing it with TC Plus which is $49 along with factoring in the $15 price break on broadband.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#6 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:56 AM

Thats makes it about even then. Just about every month I get some kind of flyer from my local cable company. They always make it sound so good but I never switch.

One reason is the NFL ST and the other is I have 3 DirecTV DVR's and dont want to change.

#7 OFFLINE   pstineme

pstineme

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

I wish I got your comcast rates. I get digital cable and a DVR for $96. I am leaving their service. I told them I liked the quality but there was hardly any value.

#8 OFFLINE   midnight75

midnight75

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

I'm jealous..it's been 3 years and my cable co never solicited me once!

Same here! I'm kinda hoping I eventually do. Not that I would go back, I could just use a good laugh. :lol:
'It's time to play the feud!'
Richard Dawson

#9 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

Comcast offer this in southern NH:

Product Price
DVR $15.00
Silver $26.20 (includes 1 premium, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz)
Std Cable $49.15
Box/Remote$4.75
FRC* $0.25
Monthly Total $95.35

Discounts:
$25 a month (for 16 months) discount for turning in your DISH
$15 less for Internet bundle ($42 instead of $57)

I looked at it, but I have 4 DVR's in my house right now, it would be extremely cost prohibitive to do that with Comcast @ $15 per DVR per month. I get TC Premiere now for around $70 a month with DirecTV (thanks to a $20 per month discount for 12 months for retention).

Comcast is ridiculous, $57 for internet access (@ 5-6mbps no less)??? Insane. FiOS is being installed on Wed, $49 a month for 15mbps (down, 1mbps up).

#10 OFFLINE   Proc

Proc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:50 PM

Thats makes it about even then. Just about every month I get some kind of flyer from my local cable company. They always make it sound so good but I never switch.

One reason is the NFL ST and the other is I have 3 DirecTV DVR's and dont want to change.

NFLST here too. It (and Boomerang and XM for the son and wife) are the reason I don't switch.

Besides, when their "great" offer ends, you end up with a jacked-up cable bill and have to argue with them to try to get it stay the same. Not worth the hassle IMO.

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:06 PM

$49.99 for TC Plus
$5.99 DVR service
$12.00 HBO service

$59.99 digital cable
$9.99 DVR service

Here in the SF Bay Area Comcast's base price is $73 for Digital which incudes analog channes with free HBO, SHO for 3 months. I have E AT 180 and my bill is $65.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   Goleo

Goleo

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

Guy I have Cable and is terrible, I have Adelphia Digital cable I paid $146 dollars every month for 2 DVR, and 1 Digital Box I have all the premiums Channels but they don’t have NFL Sunday Ticket, or NBA Packages. Ondeman is a trash they have the same programming every month . That’s way I want DirecTV

#13 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:34 PM

$146 for cable dude your getting ripped off
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#14 OFFLINE   csf97

csf97

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:25 PM

Comcast will suck you in with their great offer, and then will reward you with terrible customer service, cable tv service & modems that go off for hours without explanation -- sometimes days if a storm comes through. When Hurricane Katrina came through here, we had tv the minute the power came back on -- neighbors with Comcast were out for four days more. I'll never go back to Comcrap.

#15 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:09 AM

Ah...that wonderful moment when the special promotion ends. Special promotions are subsidized by current subscribers so when your special offer time ends, you'll see your rates go up to pay for the next guy's promotion. The main difference between cable and satellite is that over the years, cable has raised their rates higher and more often than satellite has done.

Save a dollar for 12 months, pay more afterwards. Take your choice.

#16 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:15 AM

I tried the free month of Comcast, and it wasn't very impressive. The box was huge and slow, and On Demand never had anything that interesting. I went back to D* the next month, since Comcast is about $20 more!

#17 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:28 AM

I used to have E* but now have Comcast because I can not get line of site to the satellite at my current home, once I move again I will go back to satellite. As others have said, box is clunky, digital channels go out when it rains, no longer have problems with Internet since main line was replaced, but I can not say the same about digital cable channels. I do like the VOD (hoping E* and D* will offer VOD via IPTV soon). Once I build new home I will likely go back to E* or consider D* for TV and possibly go DSL for internet or perhaps the D* and E* WiMax service will be available by then.

#18 OFFLINE   TrippM

TrippM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:12 PM

I recently compared DTV, Dish and Comcast. Comcast was the cheaper package for 12mos but after the promotional period expired the cost skyrocketed and became the most expensive choice. I contacted DTV retention, made a deal for some new equipment and I'll stick with DTV until FIOS makes it to my area. Hopefully within 2 years.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...