Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* Price Increases

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:57 PM

As I am sure everyone is aware of the price increases occuring on 3/1/06. And I am sure everyone knows that D* is moving to lease only on 3/1/06. All of the info is on this thread if you don't know:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=50899

But did you know that if you currently own your equiptment you will be charged $4.99 for your FIRST receiver in addion to every other receiver? That is unless you turn your equiptment in to D* and become a leasing customer...

This is according to a friend of mine who is the manager of the TV department at my local Circuit City. He said that CC got the info today about how the transition will take place.
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:03 PM

I doubt this to be true. Circuit City and Best Buy managers are not the ultimate source for inside scoops.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

That particular manuver would be HUGH as it would affect all 15+ million customers.

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it, as it would pentalize all the current customers... Some of which PURCHASED their equipment for over $1,000

Basically it is saying.... Pay us $5, or give us back the hardware you already paid
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

Dude, it says right in the thread you linked to that there's no fee for the first receiver (several times, in fact)...

The new Lease Program requires customers to pay a nominal lease fee, some examples of which are highlighted below (please note that the following illustrations are for new customers only). Note that the monthly lease fee is in addition to applicable programming charges:

New Customer Hardware
Upfront Hardware Lease Fees
Total Monthly Costs to Customer
Commitment Period/Early Cancellation Fee
1 Standard Receiver
$0
$0 Lease Fee (no fee for first receiver)
+Monthly programming
1 Year/ $150 prorated
1 Standard Receiver + 1 DVR
$0 (after $100 mail-in rebate*)
+ $4.99 Lease Fee (for second receiver) + $5.99 DVR Service Fee (Whole House)
+ Monthly Programming
2 Years/ $300 prorated
2 DVRs + 1 HD
$197 (after $100 mail-in rebate*)
+ $4.99 Lease Fee (for second receiver)
+ $4.99 Lease Fee (for third receiver)
+ $5.99 DVR Service Fee (Whole House)
+ Monthly Programming
2 Years/ $300 prorated
1 HD DVR
$299 (after $100 mail-in rebate*)
+ $5.99 DVR Service Fee (Whole House)
+ Monthly Programming
2 Years/ $300 prorated

#5 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:32 AM

Dude, it says right in the thread you linked to that there's no fee for the first receiver (several times, in fact)...

You will notice that in this price quote it only talks about NEW customers. Nothing is ever mentioned about existing customer. Nothing anywhere states what is going to happen to existing customers...
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#6 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:43 AM

You will notice that in this price quote it only talks about NEW customers. Nothing is ever mentioned about existing customer. Nothing anywhere states what is going to happen to existing customers...

There was FAQ included.

10. Q: How are existing customers affected by the lease model?

A: They aren’t. Existing customers who have already purchased hardware will continue to own their hardware. New customers who sign up for DIRECTV will be leasing the equipment. However, if an existing customer wishes to add additional receivers to what they already own on or after March 1, 2006, the newly acquired receivers will be under the terms of the lease model and the customer will be considered a mixed household, in which case they will be charged a lease fee on their leased equipment.

#7 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:21 AM

The mirroring fee for customers who currently own their receivers will still be waived on the first receiver. D* is not going to start charging $4.99 mirroring fee on the primary receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   hitechluddite

hitechluddite

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:59 AM

I'm glad I got my R15 on line early this month!

#9 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

Quick question in regarding to the new leasing option after 3/1. What happens with the insurance thing? For example, I own my own equipment but have the insurance on my account incase anything goes wrong such as a bad multiswitch, bad DVRs, etc. A relative of mine is considering getting D*. I know for sure if she does it will not be until after the leasing starts on 3/1. Since she will be leasing, replacing equipment will or should be at no cost to the customer (correct?). What about then faulty cabling or the dish becoming misaligned? Can someone clarify on how these things will be dealt with now D* is going to leasing? Thanks!

#10 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:39 PM

SB
You will still have to have a service contract to cover the dish/wiring/swtiches
but the recievers will be covered under the lease

#11 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

SB
You will still have to have a service contract to cover the dish/wiring/swtiches
but the recievers will be covered under the lease

I have been a D* customer for a little over 4 years now - I have 7 receivers on my account right now - I have NEVER taken the protection plan, however...........

when I had receiver issues (twice), after going through all the trouble shooting with the techs while on the phone, they have sent replacement receivers (only paid a S&H charge). They NEVER brought up needing to have the protection plan.

I am sure it would be different with most dish problems - they would have to send a contractor and there would be a fee, however..................

if your dish is installed correctly and securely it should take a few years at the earliest before you needed any work on it and the cost to have someone re-aim it would only be $40 dollars or so (takes all of 5-10 minutes even on the AT9).

To me, this protection plan is not realy needed -

#12 OFFLINE   cobra2225

cobra2225

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:32 PM

The mirroring fee for customers who currently own their receivers will still be waived on the first receiver. D* is not going to start charging $4.99 mirroring fee on the primary receiver.

i'm a dtv customer that owns my equipment, and i pay a mirroring fee now,
did i miss read your post wrong?

#13 OFFLINE   cobra2225

cobra2225

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

I have been a D* customer for a little over 4 years now - I have 7 receivers on my account right now - I have NEVER taken the protection plan, however...........

when I had receiver issues (twice), after going through all the trouble shooting with the techs while on the phone, they have sent replacement receivers (only paid a S&H charge). They NEVER brought up needing to have the protection plan.

I am sure it would be different with most dish problems - they would have to send a contractor and there would be a fee, however..................

if your dish is installed correctly and securely it should take a few years at the earliest before you needed any work on it and the cost to have someone re-aim it would only be $40 dollars or so (takes all of 5-10 minutes even on the AT9).

To me, this protection plan is not realy needed -

well everyone can bad month cable all they want,(including me) but at least they
don't charge a service fee when something goes wrong,and they replace bad equipment,when they fail, personally i can't wait to see what happens to
cable in march, i'm already seeing t.v. adds about lower price's even free
cable internet. now that will give dtv and dish a run for there money.

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:51 PM

Everywhere is different....

For comperable service, for myself.... Comcast would cost me at least an extra $20 a month...

As for your other post, you are not paying a mirroring fee for your primary card.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:21 AM

Why would you pay a mirroring fee on the receiver that has the primary services attached to it? I have a feeling that CC manager is just miffed at the price increases he's going to have to put on all the D* receivers come next Wednesday...

#16 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:58 AM

I would like the leasing option better if you were not actually buying it under the guise of a lease and paying as much up front to lease as you do now to own.

Leasing should cost ZERO up front and only have a small monthly charge to lease/rent the equipment.

#17 OFFLINE   missileman

missileman

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:17 AM

The mirroring fee is for the 2nd receiver, not the primary.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:28 AM

How many receivers do you have? Your bill should show a mirroring fee for each additional receiver after the 1st....SO if you have 2 receivers, your bill should reflect your programming package price, and then a $5 minus a few cents for a mirroring fee for receiver 2...DVR fee is another $5 or $6 depending on how long you have had a DVR....

#19 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

But did you know that if you currently own your equiptment you will be charged $4.99 for your FIRST receiver in addion to every other receiver? That is unless you turn your equiptment in to D* and become a leasing customer...

This is one area where a cable company is a better choice. If you only want the basics on a tv or if you buy your own set top box, you don't have to pay anything additional. I priced out 4 DVR's and similar channels and Comcast was no match for DirecTV, so I am staying where I am (and have been for 10 years) until Fiber TV is here in the spring!

Go 17!!

#20 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

Everywhere is different....

For comperable service, for myself.... Comcast would cost me at least an extra $20 a month...

Me too. Not to mention their hardware is slow and ugly!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...