Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is there any way to reload the 921 operating system?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hokie-dk

hokie-dk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:47 AM

Is there any way to reload the 921 operating system on a new or newly formatted hard drive?

My 921 boots just to the Dish logo now. I was deleting some recordings when it locked up. I can make a successful image of the drive by attaching it to my PC and then booting the PC from a CD using Ghost. So I know the drive is physically OK. I think some pointers got messed up when I was doing the deleting. I own this 921, so I can’t get a replacement from Dish. What I really need is to get a fresh copy of the operating system, and then I can then download the latest rev from Dish.

Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:52 AM

Is there any way to reload the 921 operating system on a new or newly formatted hard drive?

My 921 boots just to the Dish logo now. I was deleting some recordings when it locked up. I can make a successful image of the drive by attaching it to my PC and then booting the PC from a CD using Ghost. So I know the drive is physically OK. I think some pointers got messed up when I was doing the deleting. I own this 921, so I can’t get a replacement from Dish. What I really need is to get a fresh copy of the operating system, and then I can then download the latest rev from Dish.

Any suggestions?

The last couple of times that I've re-booted, it seems like it was just booting to the Dish logo because I wasn't giving it enough time. The boot now takes about 15 to 20 minutes. If you leave it alone for quite a while, it will eventually boot.

#3 OFFLINE   hokie-dk

hokie-dk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

The last couple of times that I've re-booted, it seems like it was just booting to the Dish logo because I wasn't giving it enough time. The boot now takes about 15 to 20 minutes. If you leave it alone for quite a while, it will eventually boot.

I left it for over an hour on two occasions and overnight on another, so I don't think it's going to get past the logo. I guess I'm just out of luck.

#4 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

I left it for over an hour on two occasions and overnight on another, so I don't think it's going to get past the logo. I guess I'm just out of luck.

Sorry to hear that.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

I own this 921, so I can’t get a replacement from Dish.

I own my 921 too, yet E* replaced it 4 times :eek2: (at no cost to me, not even shipping)

I presume you cracked it open. For sure they won't honor the warrentee now!
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   hokie-dk

hokie-dk

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

I don't have the extended warranty or whatever it's called ($4.95/month) so I don't think they'll replace it. I purchased it used last summer. I opened the case but did not crack the seal on the disk drive, so that shouldn't be an issue. But I assume no extended warranty is.

#7 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:18 PM

Just call dish and get(add) the dhpp (extended warantee) then call back later and get your 921 replaced. After the 921 has been replaced you can supossedly then cancel the dhpp.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#8 OFFLINE   motrac

motrac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:12 AM

Just call dish and get(add) the dhpp (extended warantee) then call back later and get your 921 replaced. After the 921 has been replaced you can supossedly then cancel the dhpp.

yeah, they been screwing us! why not screw them!

spam firewall